Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Take it from me, the Russian people have absolutely NO IDEA what is going on.

You are wrong.

Yesterday, there were anti-war protests in nearly 50 Russian cities. People don't protest in 50 cities if they have no idea what is going on. Some Russians in rural areas still won't have any idea what is going on, or will refuse to believe it when told about it, but many do have an idea, and the word is spreading.

The Kremlin has tightened its control over social media, so the rate of spread could slow temporarily. But the tighter control could also make people ask more questions.

Note that Elon Musk has today announced that his Starlink satellite internet is active in Ukraine. He aims to make it worldwide by the end of 2022.

What a gift to the world it would be, if he made it available throughout Russia...........

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I would be surprised if any country (except Russia) did anything that establishes another theatre of combat. I doubt this Turkey sanction will be plausible without escalating this conflict.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
UK government completely out of touch on offering safe havens for the desperate. Playing to the racist base again I'm afraid

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1498306911074238465

Meanwhile a hideous bill is in the Lords

The Guardian spoke to the UK resident Nataliya Rumyantseva, the daughter of 69-year-old Valentyna Klymova who escaped from Kharkiv where fighting is under way and who has been denied entry to the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ease-visa-restrictions-ukrainians-fleeing-war

Makes you proud to be British - NOT

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Russia considering halting attacks on civilians. While hardly a galant move, and possibly a lie, it’s a dialogue. And that is a good sign.

Also

Patel says waiving Visa procedures would pose security risk and she won’t allow it.

What a ****.
Regardless of how much anyone might detest Patil, the Government, the Tories or whatever, there is a balance to be considered - yes, we all want to help Ukrainian refugees, but sadly in the world we live in there are malevolent groups and organisations who will not hesitate to take advantage of refugee crises to 'mingle' and infiltrate to cause mischief. Some security checks are needed - so long as they are quick and fair, with the presumption of innocence unless clearly otherwise as the starting point.

Last edited:

Yoda

English & European
So, I guess that means that all supplies have to come through from the east. and travel thousands of km by road to get supply lines going.
That's why Hitler failed in Russia (for the most part) on the eastern front isn't it?

Not quite, Hitler made his move for the oil fields in the Caucasus before he made sure he had secured Stalingrad and the northern end of that front. It spread his lines too thin and the Soviet army found the correct weaknesses to push through and encircle the forces attacking Stalingrad and the Soviet supply lines to the Caucasus.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
I heard on the radio that the Ukrainians give the captured Russians a phone so that they can call home. Many call their mothers who think they have been in places such as Crimea on training.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Just seen on the BBC news the Ukrainian guys in London that have bought/been given a load of army surplus gear and are heading off to Ukraine to fight, along with a British dental nurse who was once in the army cadets. Incredible. God speed.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Patel has proven on a number of occasions not to have a grasp on international law. Remember not so long ago when she thought drowning babies in the channel would be okay? Or shipping them all to Ghana? Without asking Ghana.

Refugees will arrive here and there is nothing she can do about it.

Just seen her on ITV News, she had that nasty smirk on her face when being put right from the opposition.
Seriously, what is wrong with that woman, she really is one horrible and useless so called minister and I have absolutely no doubt that she did severely bully her staff.
When you think of all the things that have happened over the past 12 years or so, austerity, brexit, covid and now Ukraine 🇺🇦 the Government front bench has been totally and utterly useless.
Other countries welcoming them in with a nice cup of tea and we put restrictions in or say they can work in the fields.
I'm not sure that they can sink much lower but I would not be surprised if they did.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Russian Economy tanking a bit further?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60564265

TBH I think this sort of pressure needs to be maintained until there is a change of leadership in the Kremlin. Even if Putin is forced to withdraw or cease fire he will only try something again when he thinks he has the chance. We have to try not to penalise Russia permanently, just make it clear that an autocrat such as Putin must never rise to rule Russia ever again.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Russia considering halting attacks on civilians. While hardly a galant move, and possibly a lie, it’s a dialogue. And that is a good sign.

Also

Patel says waiving Visa procedures would pose security risk and she won’t allow it.

What a ****.

patel is despicable in this and has reneged on the governement promise to mirror EU.

I can tell you 100% civilian shelling in contiuning unabated, its just more bullshit

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1498360815245615104[/tweet]

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
TBH I think this sort of pressure needs to be maintained until there is a change of leadership in the Kremlin. Even if Putin is forced to withdraw or cease fire he will only try something again when he thinks he has the chance. We have to try not to penalise Russia permanently, just make it clear that an autocrat such as Putin must never rise to rule Russia ever again.

Make contacts with senior government figures or even oligarchs, cut deals for immunity, help them out if they turn on him.

When they start turning on themselves it will get messy. Give those around Putin the off ramp, not Putin

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here