Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10185452 said:
It is disgusting, and IMO these people should be instantly removed from holding any form of public office in the UK as at the very least the current situation presents a conflict of interest. I'm not saying lynch them, but I would argue that it is in the nation's best interests to get them out of public office immediately.

Indeed. Massive conflict of interest. Russian interests must either be divested or people removed from public life.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm waiting to see what the government is going to do about the Russian money that funds their party.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
And the world stands by and does nothing apart form imposing little sanctions that will achieve nothing.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Think I’m old enough for the home guard now. If they invade I will instruct pike not to tell em his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
And the world stands by and does nothing apart form imposing little sanctions that will achieve nothing.

The world is a little reluctant to start WW3, I'd imagine. Which is of course what Putin draws his confidence from. I'm not sure what the answer is but foreign powers sending troops in could be cataclysmic.

Word on the street is that Russian officials aren't fully on board with Vlad's plan. Maybe a poison-tipped umbrella would be of help.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Well said. Absolute disgrace if this thread is driven to the bearpit.

Brexit drove a massive wedge not only in Europe but also at home. It’s interesting that the stories took £2M in donations from Russians during this time. TBH, it’s a very Russian thing to do. device and conquer.
Similar tactics with Trump.
There’s going to be a lot of very embarrassing shit coming out of the woodwork ….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Can the West (EU, USA, UK etc.) stop ordinary Russians from travelling to those Countries?

For example hundreds of thousands of 'middle class' Russians flock over to Egypt, Greece, Cyprus etc in the summer. Many of them own properties in those Countries (especially Cyprus and Greece)

I appreciate that stopping Russians from going on holiday or spending their summers in their holiday homes sounds like a feeble response, but perhaps it can be used alongside other sanctions. The Russian people have to see what their President is doing in their name.

Difficult one that - and many other sanctions that impact the Russian people directly - as we risk unifying all of them against us and behind Putin. It would be very beneficial for us if there was a significant opposition uprising in Russia against Putin. Introducing restrictions on holiday travel could go either way.

If/when we reach any kind of war, that changes of course.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Brexit drove a massive wedge not only in Europe but also at home. It’s interesting that the stories took £2M in donations from Russians during this time. TBH, it’s a very Russian thing to do. device and conquer.
Similar tactics with Trump.
There’s going to be a lot of very embarrassing shit coming out of the woodwork ….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

None of that affected my vote. I have been against EU membership for 40 years. Do you really want to discuss this on here whilst people are dying in the Ukraine ?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
None of that affected my vote. I have been against EU membership for 40 years. Do you really want to discuss this on here whilst people are dying in the Ukraine ?

You seem quite keen on not letting someone have their opinion and in turn letting it go. You have the choice not to reply rather than ask another question and continuing discussion on the matter you don't want bought into it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
FFS will you lot either take this to the pit or STFU?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I will say this once and once only.

If anyone, on any side, wants to discuss Brexit or Brexit-related stuff, take it elsewhere.

Any further references to it on this thread will result in thread bans.

Clear?

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
It's going to be quite tricky for "the establishment" to distance themselves from the Russian regime and their key business interests...

Just one example:

Greg Barker - Lord Barker of Battle. (He went to Steyning Grammar - does anyone know him from there?)

He was MP for Bexhill & Battle and a climate minister under David Cameron, now sits in the House of Lords as a life peer (thanks to pig-fvcking Dave).

He worked for Abramovich at Sibneft before becoming an MP, was investigated for potential links to Boris Berezovsky when he joined the Tories, and is currently Chairman of En+.

En+ is registered in Jersey but is parent company of Rusal (Russian Aluminium) which made Oleg Deripaska his billions (he is/was owner of En+).

En+ was subject to sanctions from the US because it was controlled by Deripaska - his ownership was reduced to 35% as a result.

So we have a former MP, now a member of the house of lords, who runs a company with such close links to the Putin regime that it was sanctioned by the US...

This is just one example - how many more in Westminster (either chamber) have their snouts in the Russian trough?

Used to be my MP and lived just up the road from me. Don't know much about his links to Russia but always seemed like a toerag. Left his wife and kids for a young interior designer I believe

D

Deleted member 22389

If anyone, on any side, wants to discuss Brexit or Brexit-related stuff, take it elsewhere.

Clear?

About time too. :thumbsup:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
18 is ok as it is classed as an adult.

Putin has been recruiting his equivalent of Hitler Youth with children joining between 8 and 18.

[tweet]1496847051082149901[/tweet]

hitler youth.jpg

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Clear?

Thank you.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Clear?

Could you clarify whether this includes merely referencing the EU, because surely sanctions the EU brings, any coordinated actions or response from EU member states is important and relevant given Ukraine has a border with 4 EU states? I'm assuming it doesn't.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It's going to be quite tricky for "the establishment" to distance themselves from the Russian regime and their key business interests...

Just one example:

Greg Barker - Lord Barker of Battle. (He went to Steyning Grammar - does anyone know him from there?)

He was MP for Bexhill & Battle and a climate minister under David Cameron, now sits in the House of Lords as a life peer (thanks to pig-fvcking Dave).

He worked for Abramovich at Sibneft before becoming an MP, was investigated for potential links to Boris Berezovsky when he joined the Tories, and is currently Chairman of En+.

En+ is registered in Jersey but is parent company of Rusal (Russian Aluminium) which made Oleg Deripaska his billions (he is/was owner of En+).

En+ was subject to sanctions from the US because it was controlled by Deripaska - his ownership was reduced to 35% as a result.

So we have a former MP, now a member of the house of lords, who runs a company with such close links to the Putin regime that it was sanctioned by the US...

This is just one example - how many more in Westminster (either chamber) have their snouts in the Russian trough?

Oh, and it's not just UK establishment figures with their noses in the Russian trough...

Wouldn't happen in Germany? Former German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder is Chairman of the Board at Rosneft, Chairman of the Shareholders Committee of Nord Stream AG (which is controlled by Gazprom), and has been nominated to join Gazprom's board of Directors.

France?
Former French Prime Minister François Fillon is on the board at Russian state-owned oil firm Zarubezhneft and Russian petrochemicals firm Sibur.

Finland?
Paavo Lipponen, the former Prime Minister of Finland is a known Gazprom lobbyist.
Esko Aho, another former PM of Finland, was on the board of Russia’s largest bank, Sberbank until today (when I assume he saw how it looked...)

Austria?
Karin Kneissl, former Austrian foreign minister sits on the board of directors at Rosneft. Putin also happened to be a guest at her wedding.

These Ruskies are good at this, aren't they? The level of influence they can bring to bear through former politicians at such a high level is astounding (see also Tony Blair / Nursultan Nazarbayev in Kazakhstan).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here