Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

papachris

No hiding from Putin
1000005862.jpg

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I found this interesting. Making me think about some aspects in a different way.

I took note of the problem of centralised command and control that Russia suffers at the low level adaptation.

But as the video indicates, Russia has an advantage at the strategic level, e.g. to move the economy to a war economy. Putin is an autocrat, so can do what he likes, when he likes. There is no opposition for him to debate in the House of Commons, no House of Representatives to scupper any decisions, and no 26 other members of the EU to convince.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Probably one of those nice wealthy Russians that bought a beachside apartment in Spain many years ago...armed sleepers.
It was obviously an assassin.

Alarming that years after Skripal, Russian assassins can still apparently operate with impunity in Western Europe.

Arresting, charging and imprisoning (presumably) him, is an urgent priority. If he successfully slinks back off to Russia and turns up as am MP in years to come, what message does that say about the west. Putin is running rings around us!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I took note of the problem of centralised command and control that Russia suffers at the low level adaptation.

But as the video indicates, Russia has an advantage at the strategic level, e.g. to move the economy to a war economy. Putin is an autocrat, so can do what he likes, when he likes. There is no opposition for him to debate in the House of Commons, no House of Representatives to scupper any decisions, and no 26 other members of the EU to convince.
The war in Ukraine is a skirmish the way I see it.

The real wars are coming later this century and it will be a battle between liberal democracy and autocracy for control of the world.

At the moment it looks a tight contest.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I watched a TV programme last night. Documentary from a journalist inserted alongside the Russian army, close and right up to the front line. Poor bloke was scared out of his wits.

Highlighted (to me) that war is truly dreadful / horrific. But the mindset of the Russian soldiers was telling.

Anyone else see it?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The war in Ukraine is a skirmish the way I see it.

The real wars are coming later this century and it will be a battle between liberal democracy and autocracy for control of the world.

At the moment it looks a tight contest.
That's one possible future, and it is absolutely one scenario that we must prepare for.

The video above, and others, show the danger of complacency. Russia is on a war footing, and is producing weapons at a rate greater than the west is supplying to Ukraine and the rate of Ukrainian production combined.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Elon being a good boy for his masters in the Kremlin?

Last edited:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I watched a TV programme last night. Documentary from a journalist inserted alongside the Russian army, close and right up to the front line. Poor bloke was scared out of his wits.

Highlighted (to me) that war is truly dreadful / horrific. But the mindset of the Russian soldiers was telling.

Anyone else see it?
I didn't catch it. BBC or it or...?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It was obviously an assassin.

Alarming that years after Skripal, Russian assassins can still apparently operate with impunity in Western Europe.

Arresting, charging and imprisoning (presumably) him, is an urgent priority. If he successfully slinks back off to Russia and turns up as am MP in years to come, what message does that say about the west. Putin is running rings around us!
Sure, I agree with you. But it's still possible that the assassin is a Russian (or another) that lives in Spain. We'll only know if the cctv etc is trackable, as it was for the Skripal attempt.
Personally, I wouldn't have let any Russians enter my country (from Russia) since the invasion.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I have a small holiday home in Torrevieja. There are a lot of Russians in the area and has been for many years.
Yes, a friend of mine has an apartment in that area and says the same.
Mate of mine currently on hols in Cyprus...lots of Russians there according to him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here