Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It's a good distance too.
And as its name implies, it's on the Volga, the inland waterway, linked by a canal to the Don (which flows into the Black Sea and therefore a critical supply route to the Russian war effort), providing a route across Russia to the Caspian Sea and thus a trade route to Iran at the southern end of the Caspian.

Ukraine is slowly strangling Russia's ability to trade and supply its war effort.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Where is Gerasimov?

The reason I ask is that quite a few commentators have mentioned that he hasn't been seen in public for a while.

Wasn't he rumoured to have been killed in a Ukrainian attack on Crimea a few weeks ago?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Where is Gerasimov?

The reason I ask is that quite a few commentators have mentioned that he hasn't been seen in public for a while.

Wasn't he rumoured to have been killed in a Ukrainian attack on Crimea a few weeks ago?
Yes, that was the rumour. Ukraine said at first they we pretty sure he had been killed in that strike, then seemed to row back from it saying they were awaiting confirmation.
I can't remember that Russia commented on Gerasimov then, and I haven't noticed anything from him since.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Yes, that was the rumour. Ukraine said at first they we pretty sure he had been killed in that strike, then seemed to row back from it saying they were awaiting confirmation.
I can't remember that Russia commented on Gerasimov then, and I haven't noticed anything from him since.
Yes, that was my recollection. Presumably we will find out when Russia is ready to share the sad news of his demise.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
According to the Guardian:
More than 800 Russian soldiers died in the conflict yesterday,
according to the overnight update of the General Staff of Ukraine’s Armed Forces.

The figures, which have not been independently verified, put the total Russian losses from the war at 388,750 troops.

According to the report, Russia also lost 13 armoured vehicles, two tanks, 31 artillery systems and 41 vehicles and fuel tanks in Saturday’s fighting

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Losing a naval battle against a nation without a navy. Only Russia.

Many years from now, when Russia is a much smaller, less belligerent country, this will be the stuff of legends, passed down the generations.

'Ukraine, the country without a navy, took on and beat the navy of a super power'.

'Russia, the once vast super power, that lost a third of its navy to Ukraine, a country without a navy'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here