[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Well said Jens Stoltenberg. I am in full agreement, word for word.

But I would add, that we should also commit to helping Ukraine, not only for all the reasons Stoltenberg gave, but also because - it is the right thing to do.

I would also campaign to put that help, for perhaps a generation ahead, into UK law, and, if we had still been in the EU, into EU law.
And then speed up Ukraine's accession to the EU, and Ukraine's, Sweden's and Finland's accession to Nato.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
'Russia may be readying border closure and new mobilisation order - Ukrainian minister'

'Russia’s leadership may be preparing a new mobilisation order and could close its border to men within a week, according to Ukraine’s defence minister.
Oleksii Reznikov addressed Russian citizens in a video message on Friday. Speaking in Russian, he warned people who might qualify for mobilisation. “I know for a fact that you have about one week left before you still have any choice.
“In early January, the Russian authorities will close the borders to men, declare martial law, and begin another wave of mobilisation. Borders will also be closed in Belarus.”
Reznikov warned that Russians living in cities would be at particular risk.
Kryrylo Budanov, the head of Ukraine’s intelligence directorate told the BBC on Friday that Russia’s new mobilisation order would start on 5 January.'

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Himars strike on Russian barracks which has been confirmed by The Ruskies who report 63 dead, meanwhile more trustworthy sources reporting over 300 plus dead along with 100s injured with 10 destroyed armoured vehicles to boot. Ego man must love this

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Himars strike on Russian barracks which has been confirmed by The Ruskies who report 63 dead, meanwhile more trustworthy sources reporting over 300 plus dead along with 100s injured with 10 destroyed armoured vehicles to boot. Ego man must love this
Sadly, the more Ukraine inflict these losses and damage the more Putin sends back. He doesn't give a toss about the losses, indeed I suspect it gives him a justification to be even more barbaric.

Ukraine can never win this militarily and goodness knows how it all plays out

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Sadly, the more Ukraine inflict these losses and damage the more Putin sends back. He doesn't give a toss about the losses, indeed I suspect it gives him a justification to be even more barbaric.

Yes, no end remotely in sight at the moment.
Hopefully Ukraine continue to fight back so strongly that something implodes in the Russian leadership...but even that opens new uncertainties.
Improved Air Defence systems for Ukrainian major cities would help a lot...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is that one Himars rocket, or multiple? I wouldn't have expected it to be easy to destroy 10 armoured vehicles.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

He certainly doesn't care about the human aspect of the losses, but you're mistaken to think that he has unlimited soldiers and weapons. Ukraine can win this militarily. They have more soldiers willing to fight than Russia, and thanks to support from the West have a larger manufacturing capability too.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Is that one Himars rocket, or multiple? I wouldn't have expected it to be easy to destroy 10 armoured vehicles.
I read an account (source) which claimed the Russians were using one of the basements in their makeshift barracks as an ammo depot.

With somewhat predictable consequences. Sounds like the whole stockpile went up after being hit by a rocket(s).

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Detailed maps of the recent heavy fighting along the confrontation line at the Donbas region. The top left map, purple hatched area indicating area of noticeable Ukrainian partisan activity... that would approximate to Melitopol I think. Ukraine undermining the confidence of Russian troops there prior to more significant attacks hopefully.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I read it was a multiple rocket attack, with a few getting through their air defences. I also read that the Russians had a major ammo store adjacent to or under the building complex...hence the major explosions and damage

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports