Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Really - why not? Basically this is giving NATO Nations (especially the US) an excellent workout of their inventory of hardware.

I think you would find in terms of GDP the US at least could carry on indefinitely...

And politically as well.

Military support for Ukraine is a wildly popular policy in NATO countries

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There will never be a better time for Ukraine to get crimea back.
Zalensky will surely push for that

trouble is do they want to go back? majority are ethinc Russians and a strong historic case for being Russian. maybe settlement should be a UN led referendum to determine. if its the difference between peace and perpetual conflict, Crimea should at least be for discussion.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Really - why not? Basically this is giving NATO Nations (especially the US) an excellent workout of their inventory of hardware.

I think you would find in terms of GDP the US at least could carry on indefinitely...

Now yes. But will it be so popular IF the Russians pull back to pre-February positions?

I’m not so sure.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
trouble is do they want to go back? majority are ethinc Russians and a strong historic case for being Russian. maybe settlement should be a UN led referendum to determine. if its the difference between peace and perpetual conflict, Crimea should at least be for discussion.

Ukraine want it back for exactly the same reason Russia wanted to take it. The strategic significance of large ports on the Black Sea

How would the Crimean's self determine, I've no idea, but I'm entirely confident the referendum held in 2014 was a sham.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
can anyone explain why the Ukrainians havent blown the bridge from crimea to russia yet?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
can anyone explain why the Ukrainians havent blown the bridge from crimea to russia yet?
It's actually a difficult target to hit with a big enough warhead from the range they currently have.

Also leaving an escape route is a valid strategy - but we can't really guess the thinking at present.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Agreed, is this not how Hitler came to power.

Well, yes, it was one of the excuses that Hitler used. But don't forget, after WW2 about $60bn (ish) was paid to victims of the holocaust. The allies also used German PoWs for manual labour for some 5 years after the German surrender.

I'm not aware that we have suffered "hatred" from the German nation for the WW2 reparations.

Reparations for losing a war go back a couple of millenia.

The German people were very much punished for their actions in WW2. If the German people had opposed Hitler then there would have been no WW2. If the Russian people didn't support Putin, we wouldn't be where we are now.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

dont have the range to hit it currently. if they did, strategic and long term benefits to keeping it. give Russia an exit plus its a valuable infrastructure for the future.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Well, yes, it was one of the excuses that Hitler used. But don't forget, after WW2 about $60bn (ish) was paid to victims of the holocaust. The allies also used German PoWs for manual labour for some 5 years after the German surrender.

I'm not aware that we have suffered "hatred" from the German nation for the WW2 reparations.

Reparations for losing a war go back a couple of millenia.

The German people were very much punished for their actions in WW2. If the German people had opposed Hitler then there would have been no WW2. If the Russian people didn't support Putin, we wouldn't be where we are now.

But also worth noting many of the reparations were eventually swallowed up under the Marshall Plan when the US essentially paid to prop up western European governments in the years after the war to prevent the spread of communism.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

It's an interesting point that Crimea was actually part of Russia until 1954. Khrushchev then handed it to Ukraine as part of an administrative reorganisation. So it's not like it's been a part of Ukraine since the beginning of time, and one could argue (although I am most emphatically NOT arguing) that when the Russians took back Crimea they simply were righting a historical wrong. I'll restate for the hard of hearing that I am NOT saying that, but I do think that saying 'Crimea is Ukrainian' isn't as straightforward as saying 'Sussex is English'.

Another, vaguely interesting, point is that I always thought Khrushchev was Ukrainian (like another Soviet era leader, Leonid Brezhnev) and took Crimea from Russia to 'big up' his own birthplace. However I've recently discovered that he was born about 10 miles over the border in Russia itself and didn't move to Ukraine until he was 14. So I dunno why he did it, other than perhaps he thought it was a minor internal reorganisation like moving Poole between Hampshire and Dorset. Little did he know that the USSR would collapse and its constituent parts would start fighting each other. :(

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It's an interesting point that Crimea was actually part of Russia until 1954. Khrushchev then handed it to Ukraine as part of an administrative reorganisation. So it's not like it's been a part of Ukraine since the beginning of time, and one could argue (although I am most emphatically NOT arguing) that when the Russians took back Crimea they simply were righting a historical wrong. I'll restate for the hard of hearing that I am NOT saying that, but I do think that saying 'Crimea is Ukrainian' isn't as straightforward as saying 'Sussex is English'.

Another, vaguely interesting, point is that I always thought Khrushchev was Ukrainian (like another Soviet era leader, Leonid Brezhnev) and took Crimea from Russia to 'big up' his own birthplace. However I've recently discovered that he was born about 10 miles over the border in Russia itself and didn't move to Ukraine until he was 14. So I dunno why he did it, other than perhaps he thought it was a minor internal reorganisation like moving Poole between Hampshire and Dorset. Little did he know that the USSR would collapse and its constituent parts would start fighting each other. :(

It depends how far back you go back really as to what constitutes Russia whicht was a small but powerful country which established an empire over its neighbours and incorporated those bits into its own state. The Crimea was definitely not Russian from day one, it was a semi-independent 'state' within the Ottoman Empire until the late 18th century.

The fact of the matter is Russia annexed part of an independent country in 2014 in the same way it has been interfering in places like Georgia and Chechnya.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It depends how far back you go back really as to what constitutes Russia whicht was a small but powerful country which established an empire over its neighbours and incorporated those bits into its own state. The Crimea was definitely not Russian from day one, it was a semi-independent 'state' within the Ottoman Empire until the late 18th century.

The fact of the matter is Russia annexed part of an independent country in 2014 in the same way it has been interfering in places like Georgia and Chechnya.

Yes it did. Undoubtedly. Any rational person would see that. Borders had been drawn and agreed and the Russians acted despicably. But because Crimea's history isn't straightforward arguments can be made both ways; although as I inferred in my original post by their actions Russia have now forefitted the right to make theirs - not that it'll stop them from making it of course.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

its always been a bit of an odd-bod settled or ruled by various groups, independent from Ukraine. the crucial point is it wasnt part of the original Ukrainian state declared when the Russian empire collapsed.

and a bit more read finds, it was independent briefly after the USSR collapsed too.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes it did. Undoubtedly. Any rational person would see that. Borders had been drawn and agreed and the Russians acted despicably. But because Crimea's history isn't straightforward arguments can be made both ways; although as I inferred in my original post by their actions Russia have now forefitted the right to make theirs - not that it'll stop them from making it of course.

To me the only long term satisfactory outcome with Crimea is a referendum. An actual one, not the sham poll that they ran last time.

It would have to be overseen by an agreed international body. It wouldn't be perfect, of course it wouldn't. But I can't see another way

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My point was, Russia could literally wipe the UK off the map in 20 minutes. We couldn’t do the same to Russia, it’s just too vast.
But you weren't making a point, Brighton Lines was. He mentioned that Russia could flatten Ukraine and I said that would require nuclear weapons, so it doesn't really mean anything, we could flatten Russia too. As for how many minutes it would take - who cares? The UK really has enough nuclear weapons to end all human life in Russia.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To me the only long term satisfactory outcome with Crimea is a referendum. An actual one, not the sham poll that they ran last time.

It would have to be overseen by an agreed international body. It wouldn't be perfect, of course it wouldn't. But I can't see another way
The problem with even that is that with Russia in control of Crimea, if they thought they'd lose a referendum, they'd simply remove anyone whom they'd expect to vote Ukraine.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Not liking these sham 'referendums' that are being announced today.

They may seem like an odd and pointless diversion, but actually there's a pretty sinister agenda here.

That's because the results will, of course, conveniently show huge majorities voting to join Russia (ie 120% in favour and other Communist classics).

Which means Putin can then say (mainly to the Russian public, but with a fake veneer of 'international justification'):

"These territories are now legally part of Russia, the people have voted so. Therefore it's not actually Ukraine defending them any more, it's us. And Ukraine is now the invader. Therefore we have no choice but to declare war to defend ourselves, and mobilisation and nuclear response are justifiable".

Ie he's creating grounds to flip the entire narrative to the Russian nation, and thus move instantly to having 'just cause' for full-on war, mobilisation, nuclear 'defensive' strikes and more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here