Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I saw some TV news footage of the Red Square 9th May parade. Thousands upon thousands of soldiers lined up and not a single non-white face (that I saw). I'm not saying for a moment that Western countries haven't got more to do and further to go in all manner of areas - but it was quite striking, nonetheless.

There were reports of African fighters joining Russia in the war in Ukraine if that helps .

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...e-to-join-russian-troops-in-ukraine-jmhqlxrtv

Fighters in the Central African Republic have pledged allegiance to the Kremlin and said they are preparing to enter the war in Ukraine.

A group of ten heavily armed soldiers appeared in a video saying they would soon be joining their “Russian brothers” on the front line to bring “peace and order”.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I am uncomfortable with the blood thirsty solutions to an already bloody war.

Yes, Russian soldiers have behaved in despicable ways. But the Russian soldier currently on trial is 21 years old. This murderous behaviour is not of his making. He has been emboldened by appalling misinformation, propaganda and a nationalistic fervour he’s not old enough to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And neither were the vast majority of Nazi soldiers in WW2. (I say Nazi rather than German because they were most certainly not all Germans).

So we should have just excused those that committed genocide, who carried out those atrocities, that were responsible for the Holocaust because they were young, a bit silly, and been fed a load of BS?

Nah. Not an argument for me.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
There were reports of African fighters joining Russia in the war in Ukraine if that helps .

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...e-to-join-russian-troops-in-ukraine-jmhqlxrtv

Fighters in the Central African Republic have pledged allegiance to the Kremlin and said they are preparing to enter the war in Ukraine.

A group of ten heavily armed soldiers appeared in a video saying they would soon be joining their “Russian brothers” on the front line to bring “peace and order”.

They'll be joining their Russian brothers in the mortuary in not so long.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I saw some TV news footage of the Red Square 9th May parade. Thousands upon thousands of soldiers lined up and not a single non-white face (that I saw). I'm not saying for a moment that Western countries haven't got more to do and further to go in all manner of areas - but it was quite striking, nonetheless.

Could be due to a lack of inward migration of black ethnicities. Let's face it, given the choice, would you want to migrate to Russia? I believe recent migration flows are in the other direction.

Anyway, I was down a worm hole yesterday while waiting for the footie. At one point I was reading about Shoigu, the Defence minister. Although he looks white, he comes from the Tuvan Republic. It's a very remote area to the north of Mongolia. He has a Tuvan father, and a Ukrainian-born (!) Russian mother. He has served under all recent Russian presidents, and has survived all the purges so far, seemingly because no president perceived him as a rival.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I wish them a hideous death.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
[tweet]1525935012222316545[/tweet]
This is a significant victory at Kharkiv.

It seems the Russians are for now limiting their whole offensive to defending Kherson Oblast, pushing north a little in Zaporizhzhia and trying to capture the full borders of Luhansk Oblast. The so-called People's Republic of Donetsk will just have to wait for them. Is liberating Mariupol on the cards sooner than expected ?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
McDonald's now leaving Russia and Renault too.

Surely we must be reaching a tipping point amongst average Russians soon?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It was estimated that barely 10% of the Nazis who committed atrocities during the holocaust were ever brought to justice.

It would be nice to think that the figure for Russians brought to justice after committing war crimes will be higher with more video and photographic evidence gathered by news reporters and individuals

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
McDonald's now leaving Russia and Renault too.

Surely we must be reaching a tipping point amongst average Russians soon?

Hugely symbolic that McDonald's are leaving Russia for good after 30 years. Putin doing his best to drag his country back behind an Iron Curtain. Tough titties, few have the stomach for it anymore. Game's up soon for the 20th Century throwback dictator :wave:

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Couldn't MacDonalds leaving Russia be considered a reward ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It was estimated that barely 10% of the Nazis who committed atrocities during the holocaust were ever brought to justice.

It would be nice to think that the figure for Russians brought to justice after committing war crimes will be higher with more video and photographic evidence gathered by news reporters and individuals

Depends if they are captured or make it back to Russian soil, where they will never be seen again.

I think anyone caught fighting for Russia on Ukrainian soil should be shot on sight. And they should count themselves lucky to get off so lightly.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Depends if they are captured or make it back to Russian soil, where they will never be seen again.

I think anyone caught fighting for Russia on Ukrainian soil should be treated as a war criminal and shot on sight. And they should count themselves lucky to get off so lightly.

The rule of law is a wonderful thing my friend. It's what those brave men and women of Ukraine are fighting for.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The rule of law is a wonderful thing my friend. It's what those brave men and women of Ukraine are fighting for.

If Russian soldiers are fighting against you in your own country, it is quite within the rules of war to shoot them. That's what you do if they are shooting at you, or trying to capture whatever you're defending.
I know what you mean though - tempting as it may be to string up captured Russian soldiers from the nearest lamp-post, that is a crime, and Ukraine are right to adhere to the law.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here