Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Of course the Russian tanks are advancing…onto nearby Ukrainian farms

[tweet]1500779841351831553[/tweet]

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Hmmm - get shot by their opposition or get executed by their own. Not much of a deal unless there was enough of them of the same mind to swap sides. Mostly poor conscripted kids who have been brainwashed by Putin’s henchmen.

Saying that, we don’t really know what’s going on with the 40 mile convoy that seems to have stalled and looking like sitting ducks. Have all the drivers done a runner?

Thing is, I get that there will always be evil in the world. Always has been, and always will be until, one day, inevitably evil snuffs out all life on this planet and neither good nor bad exists at all.

But it’s the notion of thousands and even millions of people supporting and actively engaging in the most evil of acts that I find utterly astounding. I know that the build up to WWII is a long and complex but the mindset and values of ordinary Germans in the 30s and 40s can’t have been so completely different and so utterly archaic versus modern western ones, and yet what happened, the rounding up and genocide of Jews, men, women and children, ultimately required the will, approval and action of millions of people.

I’ve always told myself that the same could never happen again. People are too smart these days. Too kind. Too well informed. The world too well connected. But perhaps it is. I just hope and pray not on the same, or even bigger scale.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Ukrainians seem to be putting up a good resistance to the ground forces. They just need more hardware to deal with the aerial threat. Checking the Ukraine defence site on Insta they are taking out plenty of convoys

This is key. The Russians mainly make progress through their nonstop shelling/missiles. I think Ukrainian troops are more than a match for them at ground level. Some mig jets and air defense systems needed....as Ukraine have begged for for days now

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1500891391563599880[/tweet]

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Is that the popular interpretation of " Decimated " ? or the actual definition of " Decimated " which is 10%

I think the original term came from Roman legions. If the captain thought his troops weren't fighting hard enough, he'd line them, take out every 10th soldier, and kill them. Thus motivating the remaining 90%

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I think the original term came from Roman legions. If the captain thought his troops weren't fighting hard enough, he'd line them, take out every 10th soldier, and kill them. Thus motivating the remaining 90%

Managing poor performance was so much more straightforward in the days before HR got involved.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Yes, that's right but, the modern version intimates that 90% is gone.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
How do these Russian soldiers sleep at night, evil through and through it seems.

Because most of them are young frightened conscripts who have no idea where they are or why, and have spent the last few years being indoctrinated to salute and do what they are told to do.

I'm a little surprised that I have to explain this given what has happened in every conflict for the last God knows how many years. It's the depressing truth but we should really be capable, as a species of rising above this and stopping it.

There are always people in power who can stop it today. I remain in hope :thumbsup:

Last edited:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Hmmm - get shot by their opposition or get executed by their own. Not much of a deal unless there was enough of them of the same mind to swap sides. Mostly poor conscripted kids who have been brainwashed by Putin’s henchmen.

Saying that, we don’t really know what’s going on with the 40 mile convoy that seems to have stalled and looking like sitting ducks. Have all the drivers done a runner?

Lots of stories from run out of food/fuel....to cheap chinese tyes and way to many punchures.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Yes. Estimates are around that I think.

Admiral Sir Tony Radakin did say (on Sunday) that Russia was weaker than when it started the war.

But then, Russia itself is also weaker.

It's lost a lot of friends, or rather countries that did what they were told.
It's lost its reputation and influence (=bullying and coercion) in the world.
It's lost rather more than 10% of the value of its currency.
The word is, its economy is going to shrink by a good 10%.
And if all goes to plan, it's going to lose rather more than 10% of its oil and gas export markets.

Finally, a good 10% of Russians no longer believe state-run TV.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I have a genuine question and forgive me if it’s been discussed earlier on this thread.
NATO is a defensive organisation. Understandably they can’t and will not enforce a no fly zone over Ukrainian skies.
What if Putin dropped a ‘small’ nuke on Kyiv? What is the west’s response likely to be?

I of course pray that this will never happen, I’m just asking.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I have a genuine question and forgive me if it’s been discussed earlier on this thread.
NATO is a defensive organisation. Understandably they can’t and will not enforce a no fly zone over Ukrainian skies.
What if Putin dropped a ‘small’ nuke on Kyiv? What is the west’s response likely to be?

I of course pray that this will never happen, I’m just asking.

What's your definition of a 'small nuke"?

10,000 deaths? 100,000 deaths?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here