Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We've only sanctioned 8 people so far.
What an absolute farce.
We are embarrassing, pathetic.

It's like their tentacles are so far in the cookie jar that no one can get the lid back on.

Oligarch Whatsapp Group:
Sell all your stuff by next week and we'll hold off on the sanctions. Thanks for the, erm, thing you sent the other day, much appreciate. Barbara says hi and looks forward to seeing you at the Villa in the Caribbean in June...

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I saw the timestamp.

Are you trying to tell us that the protests are no longer happening?

No - not at all. Just pointing out that the original tweet from Kyiv Post says that it was protests 'tonight' when it was actually a few nights before the tweet. I suppose we have to be extra careful with potential misinformation, whether deliberate or not.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
did anyone pose the idea its simply the worlds longest traffic jam, or is that too dull?
They are caught in "the mud of Spring".

This mud doesn't effect the south of Ukraine so much.

Was pleasing the Chinese by waiting until after the Olympics result in a fortunate and massive tactical blunder ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Too dull. This is a thread which is quite informative, citing poor maintenance of the tanks, the mud season in Ukraine etc

https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1499164245250002944

[tweet]1499164245250002944[/tweet]

Interesting….so the Ukraines can simply leave them there for a week or two while they wait for the weaponry that’s on the way from other countries and plan how they are going to blow the lot then pieces potentially……..

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
A little bit of encouraging news this morning.

Following the threat of boycotts by para athletes, the pathetically weak and ineffective IPC has been forced into a humiliating climbdown and has banned all competitors from Russia and Bellorussia from the Winter Paralympic Games which start tomorrow.

Huge respect to the athletes and their governing bodies for taking the stance they have. The IPC is clearly not fit for purpose and I hope those that took the ridiculous decision yesterday will be removed.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
It's really getting to me today. Among the many, many horrors, as a new Dad of a little 18 month old boy, seeing these images of children weeping as their families are ripped apart is making feel like vomiting. Don't think I can stomach the news today.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
From BBC news:

Russia's education ministry has announced that schoolchildren throughout the nation will be given a virtual lesson on "why the liberation mission in Ukraine is a necessity".

The broadcasted instruction will take place at 12:00 Moscow time (09:00GMT) on Thursday.

Viewers will be taught "about the danger Nato represents to our country" and "why Russia stood up for the protection of the civilians of the Donetsk and Luhansk People's Republics".

A statement on the ministry's Facebook page said children will also learn "how to distinguish the truth from lies in the huge stream of information, photos and videos that are flooding the internet today".

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They are caught in "the mud of Spring".

This mud doesn't effect the south of Ukraine so much.

Was pleasing the Chinese by waiting until after the Olympics result in a fortunate and massive tactical blunder ?

most probably. they seem unwilling to leave the road. seen several pictures of why, with tracked vehicles stuck, one was a tank and artillary bascially bottomed out in the mud.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
That's brilliant news. Our family in Zaporozhye tell us that anti tank barricades are being erected on access roads from the south.
My wife, Lyudmyla (Lucy), is cooking pancakes (her mum's Ukrainian recipe) for people in our village this Saturday, in return for donations. We set up a just giving page to help targeted families in our family's area who are struggling to afford food or medicines. Our village donated £1000 in just 6 hours - amazing.
Could I PM you with a question sometime? I'd like some advice from you. Thanks 👍

Of course. Anytime.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
From BBC news:

Russia's education ministry has announced that schoolchildren throughout the nation will be given a virtual lesson on "why the liberation mission in Ukraine is a necessity".

The broadcasted instruction will take place at 12:00 Moscow time (09:00GMT) on Thursday.

Viewers will be taught "about the danger Nato represents to our country" and "why Russia stood up for the protection of the civilians of the Donetsk and Luhansk People's Republics".

A statement on the ministry's Facebook page said children will also learn "how to distinguish the truth from lies in the huge stream of information, photos and videos that are flooding the internet today".

That is seriously disturbing

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
No - not at all. Just pointing out that the original tweet from Kyiv Post says that it was protests 'tonight' when it was actually a few nights before the tweet. I suppose we have to be extra careful with potential misinformation, whether deliberate or not.

There's going to be misinformation on both sides of the conflict.

But in this case, although the timestamp on the picture was from last Friday, and the people in the photo have probably been arrested, the anti-war protests continue anyway.
Here's today's live Ukraine updates from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60582327

Scroll down to 'Anti-war protests continue in St Petersburg despite mass arrests' at 4:18
It contains several pictures from Reuters showing new arrests.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whilst there is some criticism of the sanctions, the impact has been felt incredibly quickly…..Russia’s biggest bank already virtually bankrupt, no liquidity in the banking system generally, two-thirds of Russia’s reserves now frozen etc etc

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/03/02/russias-financial-system-teeters-brink-collapse/

This is also interesting

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...disarray-crying-combat-radio-messages-reveal/

Russian troops are "operating in complete disarray", their morale sapped and "crying in combat", voice recordings of frontline soldiers obtained by a British intelligence company suggest.

Intercepted radio messages indicate that troops are refusing to obey central command orders, including to shell Ukrainian towns, while complaining bitterly about running out of supplies of food or fuel.

Separate video recordings show one group of Russian military walking away from the battle front and heading back across the border, having had enough.

In a text message to his mother, one soldier purportedly said: "The only thing I want right now is to kill myself."

A senior Pentagon official said on Tuesday that parts of the Russian army made up of young, poorly trained conscripts were "ill-prepared" for battle and in some cases had "deliberately punched holes" in their vehicles' fuel tanks to make sure they did not reach the front line.

The defence official declined to reveal the source of the intelligence, but indications of poor Russian morale can be heard in audio recordings of radio messaging between troops obtained by British intelligence company ShadowBreak Intl.

The Telegraph has been unable to independently verify the recordings, but has listened to some of the 24 hours of material obtained by ShadowBreak since the start of the Russian invasion of Ukraine six days ago.

Parts of the Russian military are reliant on mobile phones and analogue "walkie-talkies", making them vulnerable to interception by radio enthusiasts.

The intercepted conversations shed light on troops' confusion about engaging targets in civilian areas and voice stress and frustration about the lack of supplies. In one conversation, a soldier sounds as though he is crying.

In the first recording, a soldier seemingly speaking from the command centre says: "We will cover the town… with artillery fire."

There then follows a tense exchange in which his contact on the ground appears to disobey the order and reminds the more senior officer that civilians – or "the goods" – have to be removed from the town before the army can open fire. The man in command sounds annoyed, but accepts that civilians need to leave first.

In another clip, the same man who suggested shelling a town loses his temper asking for what appears to be supplies or fuel. "We've been here for three days! When the hell is it going to be ready?" he exclaims, as Russian expletives fill the airwaves.

In a third audio recording, a soldier who sounds to be in tears pleads with command. "It's slow, it's slow…" are the only words that are audible from the ground. In response, only the command "quickly" can be heard through the static.

Ukrainian forces also had no problem jamming the Russian communications, which are often interrupted by recordings of the Ukrainian national anthem.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A little bit of encouraging news this morning.

Following the threat of boycotts by para athletes, the pathetically weak and ineffective IPC has been forced into a humiliating climbdown and has banned all competitors from Russia and Bellorussia from the Winter Paralympic Games which start tomorrow.

Huge respect to the athletes and their governing bodies for taking the stance they have. The IPC is clearly not fit for purpose and I hope those that took the ridiculous decision yesterday will be removed.
I get the impression this was led by the athletes themselves along with many individual national Olympic associations. I think many would have abandoned the games if they had to compete against Russian and Belarus athletes.
I salute them, they were willing to walk away from 4 years of preparation for what is right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here