Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm not EXACTLY sure now a Nuclear War would help Putin/Russia, assuming he is not a complete nutjob?

He’d have nothing to lose. He’s got his own bunker somewhere in the Urals, doesn’t bother him. I’m also no longer convinced he’s not a complete nut job, his recent utterings have a hint of the unhinged about them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The alternative is nuclear war, surely?

Putin would absolutely ‘press the button’ without a moments hesitation. NATO & the West are set-up around defence, not attack. Think Miyagi-Do.

No. No he wouldn't. Hardly going to progress the aspirations for a reformed USSR to blow up the planet shirley? Not even Young Dim Sum is that dim

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
He’d have nothing to lose. He’s got his own bunker somewhere in the Urals, doesn’t bother him. I’m also no longer convinced he’s not a complete nut job, his recent utterings have a hint of the unhinged about them.

He is surrounded by people who have a great deal to lose and there will be fail safes in place to prevent such a move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The alternative is nuclear war, surely?

Putin would absolutely ‘press the button’ without a moments hesitation. NATO & the West are set-up around defence, not attack. Think Miyagi-Do.

The 'Stay away or else World War 3 because Putin is crazee' narrative is a Psychological Warfare attack from the Kremlin to engineer outcomes and behaviour.

Of course that doesn't mean we can attack Russia, but things like shipping more of the Turkish drones, Javelins and Stingers etc. which have been destroying Putins tanks and helicopters is perfectly fine.

I reckon we still have special forces in Ukraine.

Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I see that the Belarusian president has been on the blower with Zelensky though we don’t know what about.
Demonstrations in Minsk, sanctions and Belarusian solders coming home in body bags may have been an influence.
Before this kicked off putin most likely told Lukanshenko that the west were cowards and wouldn’t lift a finger, the Ukrainians themselves wouldn’t resist and all would be well.
Cold feet perchance.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No. No he wouldn't. Hardly going to progress the aspirations for a reformed USSR to blow up the planet shirley? Not even Young Dim Sum is that dim

Agree, dont see it going down to nukes... serves little purpose. Some batshit or allegedly batshit crazy leaders have had access to nukes over the years yet no-one (except for our cross-atlantic peace-loving overlords) ever used it... because there is very little to gain from it whatever your ambition may be.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
"Alexander Lukashenko has taken responsibility for ensuring that all planes, helicopters and missiles stationed on Belarusian territory remain on the ground during the Ukrainian delegation's travel, talks and return".

Really?!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Utterly shameful for the showboating West to abandon the brave Ukrainian people to their fate, just bunging them a few weapons to try and assuage their shameful abandonment of Ukraine

Ukrainian president has said he is happy to arm any non-Ukrainians prepared to fight for them so fill your boots.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
"Alexander Lukashenko has taken responsibility for ensuring that all planes, helicopters and missiles stationed on Belarusian territory remain on the ground during the Ukrainian delegation's travel, talks and return".

Really?!
The location is still utter madness.

What is wrong with eg. Geneva ?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

“When you die, would you rather be forgotten or hatefully remembered?”

I wonder how Vladimir Putin would answer that question. He is nearly 70, and his time for writing his name firmly into history is running out. For all the terrible things you can say about Adolf Hitler, he remains as famous as anyone alive today, almost 80 years after his death. There isn’t a child over the age of 7 in the developed world who doesn’t know his name or image.

I definitely harbour concerns that there is an element of loose cannon about Putin right now. If things don’t go his way and he becomes embarrassed by events, how spiteful might his response be? I wouldn’t necessarily bank on his behaviour following conventional logic, or him limiting his response to conventional weapons.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not necessarily and I don’t buy the idea that it is the media driving opinion. Most of us are condemning Russia for invading a sovereign country and murdering innocent people. Ukraine has not done this and it can be argued has been appeasing Russia (in the West’s interests) for too long. It is very easy to choose a side when one threatens the other. IMO you are also not giving enough weight to the history of the region. This is not the first time Ukraine has had cause to evict Russia from its territory. Given that context it is not difficult to understand the reasons that Ukrainians do not wish to be a buffer country. As to your comments about NATO it is pretty clear that it is a multilateral mutual defence organization. All members are willing participants. Anti NATO sentiment is a hangover from Putin like 1980s Cold War thinking. That doesn’t mean I think you support Putin but that you share his fears about NATO. Reasonable discussion is entirely possible on that basis and that is what we are having.

Yes, we thankfully are. And I check the news pretty much hourly in the hope that Russia is not succeeding. I'm also rather hoping hoping this is the beginning of the end for Putin. And, additionally, I'm hoping that somehow the issues in east Ukraine can be resolved reasonably without big players entering the stage and looking to see what is in it for them. The same issues that many were not even aware of before now but can easily be swayed by the war mongering headlines Yanis speaks of.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Really?!

Im afraid its a ploy.

He's bleeding money, his dispirate campaign has huge logistial issues, he knows the Ukrainians will resist until the last and each day thisnt resolved it get harder for Putin. Right now he can claim he's trying to broker peace (as the reason for the pause) all the while he will be dealing with his logitics, moving troops towards Kyiv positions, sorting out supply chains for the big push. And he hopes the talks will prop up his soon to be tanking stock markets

Another ultimatum awaits as he buys time to prepare. The Russians dont neogitiate, they dictate and bully

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Breaking on the News ticker too. Putin orders Nuclear forces to state of readiness after NATO statements.

Its bluster. I dont believe it, its simply upping the ante

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here