Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

russell brand V JOHNNY LYDON ULTIMATE ONLINE FIGHT

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Brand is another "comedian" on the wane and so is trying to grab himself another niche, i don't think he really cares a jot.
Lydon for me.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
So am I right in thinking your point is: don't vote, curl up into a ball and hope for the least worse outcome? Because that is exactly what Brand is doing (and has previously done) and fobbed it off as being an act of protest, which everyone with a sound mind laughs at.

No, my point is it doesn't matter who we vote for we still get screwed over.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
back in the 6 music days when russell brand was self aware and at times funny, matt morgan used to take the pss out of his 6th form politics relentlessly. i suppose there is no one there to keep him in check any more.

he was always a wally but he could be funny when there were people around telling him his was one.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Lydon for me , I can't even understand how Brand got where he is today , as Mead's Ball said earlier in the thread an unfunny bellend . Did see RB on RT news a few times recently so he has gone up in my estimation a bit but only by about 3%.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If you think either of those two fools are a worthy example of individuals to take your life's direction from, then there really is no hope. I would have though at the very least, that a modest mastery of your mother tongue would be a prerequisite to icon status.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
I agree with what you're saying. If the population was passionate about politics then I have no doubt that representative democracy and party politics would still be effective - but like you say, the reality is that most people are apathetic. Most people simply don't have the time or an interest in learning more about politics, beyond what they read in the papers - this is absolutely fine, the world would be a dull place if everyone was a politician - but this is why this kind of democracy does not work.

I think we need to end party politics and move towards a more direct democracy - where people can vote on issues that affect them and that they are passionate about. It's blindingly obvious that a vast majority of us will never be truly "represented" by any political party, and this is why it's not democratic and needs to change.
I agree with this gentleman

I never voted for years when I was a single, middle class white man in his 20s and 30s, because, quite simply no party was particularly tailored to my needs. All the parties were becoming more and more centralised with broadly the same goals. The Tories following the departure of Thatcher tried to soften their image, and Labour tried to move away from their radical, spendthrift image. Whoever won any election would have little effect on my life or chances of prosperity, and indeed any vote I might make for personal reasons might have even detracted from the vote of a person who needed their vote in a more meaningful or even life and death way.

Why exercise a right to vote simply for the significance of the event itself, when nothing exists with any personal relevance for you to vote for?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Brand. Keep doing what you've always done you'll get what you've always got.

Politicians stopped listening to what the electorate wants a long time ago. The Tories are in it for their rich chums from Uni and Labour are in thrall to the unions...the Liberals are still basically, well, liberal but forever tarnished with their disastrous alliance with the conservatives...why should we vote for any of them?

UKIP are a good example of exactly what happens when politics starts to eat itself...don't encourage this lunacy anymore.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Brand. Keep doing what you've always done you'll get what you've always got.

Politicians stopped listening to what the electorate wants a long time ago. The Tories are in it for their rich chums from Uni and Labour are in thrall to the unions...the Liberals are still basically, well, liberal but forever tarnished with their disastrous alliance with the conservatives...why should we vote for any of them?

UKIP are a good example of exactly what happens when politics starts to eat itself...don't encourage this lunacy anymore.

people have been persuaded not to vote because of idiotic generalisations like this.

Anyone serious about politics knows there are distinct differences between the main three parties.Its good fun though to rib each other and say oh look they are all basically the same......its a stupid argument though.....i use it .......so do others on NSC......i suspect it more for winding others up than proper political debate.The lines are less blurred as they were 100 years ago but you have 3 main parties with different agendas,if you cant see that you are a fool.

Another party has entered the mix(UKIP) and has made a significant impact on the political map.

The Greens are a party not to be dismissed either.

Seems to me democracy is at a quite good healthy state,there are plenty of options.

MR Brand saying dont vote or get involved is just a :censored: what a pathetic prick

i do however welcome the day when every ballot paper will include the option "none of the above"

only then will we know how many people are interested in voting as opposed to how many people dont give a toss and dont care who is in charge.......

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Russell Brand seems to be making the news for the right reasons lately. I haven't quite decided whether it is all just a narcissistic campaign or whether he genuinely is passionate about representing the common good.

Lydon however - completely irrelevant - just a tedious celebrity who seems to do nothing other than adverts and celebrity TV

representing the common good =/= telling people not to vote

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
After having spent some time mixing with and talking to politicians and watching a good friend of mine rise up the ranks to become a very senior figure in one of the 4 major political parties, I have realised the following:

1) that a large portion of MP's and MEP's are career politicians and are more interested in moving up the ranks within their party and/ or protecting their positions than they are in genuinely making a difference. Those outspoken members of a party are either forced to get back in line or pushed out to the fringes.

2) that due to the first past the post voting system in this country the political parties are geared towards championing policies which resonate with a minority of voters in swing constituencies. This is more about strategy than understanding or caring about what the majority of people actually want.

3) that the influence of media corporations also restricts the policies that the main political parties are able to table often leading to the protection of the status quo.

All of the above leads to apathy with politics within the general public, low voter turnout and the correct assumption that there are only very small differences between any of the main political parties i.e that it really doesnt matter who gets in.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I don't really like either of them to be honest but Lydon is right on this one.
If you want to contribute to 'change', vote for the party which offers any part of that 'change' you're looking for.
Err what if you think the parties are all lying bumholes...?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Err what if you think the parties are all lying bumholes...?

Good point, Has anyone else mentioned this from Lydon's quote?

Agree use your vote, but Lydon is saying I dont believe in who I'm voting for, I know it's obvious but Brand and Lydon both talking crap here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here