Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Bellend

Votes: 49 68.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Long overdue is a re-evaluation of the '00's media culture.

I was bang in the middle of it geographically. Working for a long gone post production company bang opposite MTV in Camden.

I was at work when RB turned up opposite dressed as Osama Bin Laden, the day after 9/11. Didn't see it, but heard about it.

Drugs everywhere (routinely taken at work) and loads of money sploshing about. New Labour were in, it was party time.

I kept away from it, because I'd done "my thing" in Manchester a few years before. When I returned to London it was full of twats.

The whole "scene" had clearly been invented by marketing execs. Clearly annoyed that something socially significant had emerged a few years organically in Northern Towns.

There was clearly a dark side that hasn't been addressed. I expect more stories to follow.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Long overdue is a re-evaluation of the '00's media culture.

I was bang in the middle of it geographically. Working for a long gone post production company bang opposite MTV in Camden.

I was at work when RB turned up opposite dressed as Osama Bin Laden, the day after 9/11. Didn't see it, but heard about it.

Drugs everywhere (routinely taken at work) and loads of money sploshing about. New Labour were in, it was party time.

I kept away from it, because I'd done "my thing" in Manchester a few years before. When I returned to London it was full of twats.

The whole "scene" had clearly been invented by marketing execs. Clearly annoyed that something socially significant had emerged a few years organically in Northern Towns.

There was clearly a dark side that hasn't been addressed. I expect more stories to follow.
Predictably, the front page of The Times says that more women have come forward with allegations, which will all need to be investigated which takes time. This story isn’t going away.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A significant element to the twelve step recovery program, which Brand not only advocates but has written a book about, is admitting your mistakes and the harm you’ve done to others, apologising, and seeking atonement.

People in recovery are usually rather humbled and contrite.

If he had done the things he’s accused of, he’s using his “recovery” as a very cynical smoke screen. Much like Savile and his “charity work”.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Predictably, the front page of The Times says that more women have come forward with allegations, which will all need to be investigated which takes time. This story isn’t going away.
I sadly expect Brand's deluded fans and defenders to accuse these women of "jumping on the bandwagon" and sneering "why didn't they speak out at the time?", to discredit them and portray Brand as the victim of a witch hunt.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I Think it is, I doubt these women just found each other and more like the papers put out enquiries to see what they can come up with. Was the same for Tate, Trump and others. When they start getting popular and considered a threat all the allegations are made. Trial by media.

Also operating to a different play book now, take the kiss that you mentioned, yes wrong on many levels but the outrage ramped up is on another level.

Its called institutional capture where the left have taken over the MSM and Academia and the Right counter culture increasingly comedy, music etc. I'm not talking in absolutes but it allows leftist causes to be elevated beyond what would normally considered reasonable exposure. It also allows people on the left like Brand to be smeared as far-right.
Who is taking over sport? Football has long been dominated by the right, but RDZ would seem to be doing everything he can to champion the left, you only have to look at all our recent signings. Is this the left foot counter culture?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I’m very uncomfortable with trial by the media. If someone wants to make a complaint, let them go to the police, go through the process. Having a reputation completely wrecked on this way is unacceptable. Same with Schofield. Same with Huw Edwards. Regardless of what they’ve done this country is based on a legal system that is copied throughout the world. Accused should not be named until found guilty by a jury.
If someone sees there elderly neighbour fall over stands their laughing and then walks off leaving their neighbour on the floor.

Have they committed a crime?
Is it trial by media if people then disapprove?
Not all despicable behaviour is illegal surely?

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
BBC: ‘Just a few hours after the allegations against Brand were made public on Saturday, he was onstage in London as part of his Bipolarisation tour.

Starting an hour late, a delay which Brand blamed on the traffic, he took to the stage saying, “There are obviously some things that I absolutely cannot talk about and I appreciate that you will understand” and asked his audience not to film.

“Before the show began, I was almost certain it would be cancelled,” our correspondent Chi Chi Izundu reported from Troubadour Wembley Park. But she added that Brand “appeared distracted” as the show went on.

He got a standing ovation at the end lasting a few minutes.’

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
"Are you a well-known celebrity, politician or person in power who may have abused their position to manipulate, groom, control and assault people for your own sexual gratification? Are you looking for a strategic avenue which will garner support from similar, like-minded people who will literally defend you no matter how heinous a crime you commit? We’ve got just the playbook for you.

Gently shifting to a far-right conspiracy based, male dominated fan base has been proven time and time again as an easy go-to defence mechanism for any narcissistic sexual predator who has preempted a series of ‘allegations’ against him in the media."

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I don’t really know him, the wife watches that Big Brother thing he presented, when it caught my eye I just thought he was some harmless fruitcake prancing around and talking shite.

On Despatches, the stand up clips, (I didn’t even know he did stand up) I thought were disgusting, cringeworthy and totally un-funny, people seemed to be laughing though including those that sounded like women.

In answer to the opening question, is he a legend or a bell end? I think he’s a c**t

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
On Despatches, the stand up clips, (I didn’t even know he did stand up) I thought were disgusting, cringeworthy and totally un-funny, people seemed to be laughing though including those that sounded like women.

I was completely unaware of any of that material until the last few days, having never seen his stand up or read a book. I was aware of his controversial past though, just not how open he was about it.

If you can filter through the conspiracy nonsense and people trying to make political gain, there is a point in there.

He was lauded by the left for years when all that material was out there. What were a number of prominent individuals thinking ?

He's just been dropped from a left leaning poetry book.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I Think it is, I doubt these women just found each other and more like the papers put out enquiries to see what they can come up with. Was the same for Tate, Trump and others. When they start getting popular and considered a threat all the allegations are made. Trial by media.

Also operating to a different play book now, take the kiss that you mentioned, yes wrong on many levels but the outrage ramped up is on another level.

Its called institutional capture where the left have taken over the MSM and Academia and the Right counter culture increasingly comedy, music etc. I'm not talking in absolutes but it allows leftist causes to be elevated beyond what would normally considered reasonable exposure. It also allows people on the left like Brand to be smeared as far-right.
Ah, the Daily Mail, Daily Express, The Sun, Daily Telegraph, The Times, GBNews, etc - all captured by the Left eh? And how many Left-wing academics are you aware of; can you name any? Give your head a good wobble.

And I bet you don't mind 'trial by media' when Labour politicians, trade union leaders and environmental groups are being pilloried and smeared by the above media outlets.

Anyway, back to the point:

If just one woman made an allegation of sexual assault against Brand, people like you would doubtless say "Well no-one else has complained, so she's probably an attention-seeker, gold-digger or trouble-maker."

Yet when several women complain, you imply that the women are part of some co-ordinated conspiracy against men like Brand, Tate, Trump, Harvey Weinstein, Jeffrey Epstein, etc.

Incidentally, Trump actually boasted that he liked "grabbing women by the p*ssy" (clear sexual assault), such is his level of misogyny, toxic masculinity, and arrogant male entitlement.

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I don’t really know him, the wife watches that Big Brother thing he presented, when it caught my eye I just thought he was some harmless fruitcake prancing around and talking shite.

In answer to the opening question, is he a legend or a bell end? I think he’s a c**t
I went to see him do stand-up 'comedy' in Bristol many years ago. It was awful; absolute cringe - just a series of crude and puerile 'jokes' about sex and genitalia, interspersed with four-letter expletives. I didn't laugh once - I actually felt embarrassed for him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Russell shagging as many girls/women as he could doesn't come as a surprise. What's surprised me is how Channel 4 (or maybe it's Endemol), when filming Big Brother's Big Mouth, were happy to take the phone numbers of pretty university students in the audience, so that Russell could hook up with them for sex. How the **** did they think that was ok?

Last edited:

As is Russell Brand, which is the point you missed.
No, Lennon and Brand are not comparable at all in terms of popularity, be serious. In fact they are not comparable on anything

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
If just one woman made an allegation of sexual assault against Brand, people like you would doubtless say "Well no-one else has complained, so she's probably an attention-seeker, gold-digger or trouble-maker."

Yet when several women complain, you imply that the women are part of some co-ordinated conspiracy against men like Brand, Tate, Trump, Harvey Weinstein, Jeffrey Epstein, etc.

Incidentally, Trump actually boasted that he liked "grabbing women by the p*ssy" (clear sexual assault), such is his level of misogyny, toxic masculinity, and arrogant male entitlement.
"people like you "- Smear
"would doubtless say"- Putting words in someone else's mouth

"you imply that the women are part of some co-ordinated conspiracy against men like Brand, Tate, Trump, Harvey Weinstein, Jeffrey Epstein, etc."
-No I didn't liar.

Go away fool.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
But these aren't complaints given to the police they are stories told to journalists. The law is still there if the stories are untrue.

It can also be very expensive in this country if you get it wrong.

Incidentally the person in question has been very happy on at least two occasions to publicly name who he has slept with. Oddly directing the comments to their parents or grandparents.

"Accused should not be named until found guilty by a jury" - now there's a leap. Did you mean charged ?

I think you are confusing police investigations and investigative journalism.
I clicked that link and read it as I don't know much about this story due to largely switching off to the news these days.
Sorry to go off topic, but after reading it I noticed a video playing at the top that showed a public performance by David Walliams. Blimey!, that was pretty shocking :ohmy:Is that being taken further?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports