Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Russell Bishop’s final victim speaks out

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
So so brave, but at last there is no one to come after her. Perhaps getting this 'off her chest' so to speak, makes life a lot easier.
Knew one of the CID at the time, now sadly gone himself in his 50s, after the conviction he was allowed to say a bit more, Bishop basically thought because of the Police mistakes in the first trial he was untouchable, had this little girl not survived and identified him, getting it to court could have proved extremely difficult, with cries of ‘fitting up’ from certain quarters.

Thankfully the Babes in the Wood case had the correct ending but not without a lot of collateral damage.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Knew one of the CID at the time, now sadly gone himself in his 50s, after the conviction he was allowed to say a bit more, Bishop basically thought because of the Police mistakes in the first trial he was untouchable, had this little girl not survived and identified him, getting it to court could have proved extremely difficult, with cries of ‘fitting up’ from certain quarters.

Thankfully the Babes in the Wood case had the correct ending but not without a lot of collateral damage.
Which quarters might they be?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Which quarters might they be?
The hundred or so locals, including Bishop, who went on a protest march, to ‘re open’ the original case after the Police had ‘failed’ to fit RB up the first time.

Harry old love I’m only recounting what Police (and media) have previously told me, if Rachael had died in the attack the chances of a conviction would have been severely decreased.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When the appeal went to the High Court, for Double Jeopardy, it had to be new evidence that was put forward. Modern technology and advances in DNA was the new evidence, which is why the appeal was granted.
The retrial was then successful.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The hundred or so locals, including Bishop, who went on a protest march, to ‘re open’ the original case after the Police had ‘failed’ to fit RB up the first time.

Harry old love I’m only recounting what Police (and media) have previously told me, if Rachael had died in the attack the chances of a conviction would have been severely decreased.
OK. I see. You always get a contingent of locals campaigning in favour of, or against, a suspect. Especially in such cases. Didn't a mob firebomb a paediatrician's in Portsmouth 20 odd years ago? I wouldn't have been inclined to bring this into the narrative, however. Foolish though these people may look now, there may well have been some sort of logic to their tomfoolery at the time, with a killer 'still at large'.

I think you'll find that prosecutions normally fail when there is insufficient evidence, not because 'certain quarters' take to the streets.

Most of us, also, don't have all the contacts and inside information you have, and the certain knowledge of who was guilty, at the time.

I'd like to think that due process, from the collection of evidence through to the construction of a case, have improved immeasurably in the intervening years. :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
OK. I see. You always get a contingent of locals campaigning in favour of, or against, a suspect. Especially in such cases. Didn't a mob firebomb a paediatrician's in Portsmouth 20 odd years ago? I wouldn't have been inclined to bring this into the narrative, however. Foolish though these people may look now, there may well have been some sort of logic to their tomfoolery at the time, with a killer 'still at large'.

I think you'll find that prosecutions normally fail when there is insufficient evidence, not because 'certain quarters' take to the streets.

Most of us, also, don't have all the contacts and inside information you have, and the certain knowledge of who was guilty, at the time.

I'd like to think that due process, from the collection of evidence through to the construction of a case, have improved immeasurably in the intervening years.
It was graffiti not a firebomb.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

That’s true for any random attack though. Much easier to convict when you’ve got a victim picking someone out as the offender and you’ve got evidence in the inside of that persons car in the way of hammer marks she said she left.

Without any DNA / witness evidence it wouldn’t have made any difference who the offender was. They’d have likely got away with it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I once had the pleasure of serving him in the bank post original trial. He actually pulled the 'do you know who I am' approach. Talk about basking in his notoriety!

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
I once had the pleasure of serving him in the bank post original trial. He actually pulled the 'do you know who I am' approach. Talk about basking in his notoriety!
If the Police hadn't made such a hash of the case when the two girls were murdered, Rachael wouldn't have suffered such an ordeal, some members of Sussex Police should be hanging their heads in shame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here