Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russel Slade

greengoeskiwi

May 7, 2008
I am very concerned, my yeovil supporter friend said that there are very strong rumours that Slade will be our manager!!! is this really what we are after, he has never spoke very highly of him and they dont play football that is much better than ours!!!
I sorta see owuso as another baz savage, and he is veeeeery lazy!!!! Do we need another lazy striker????

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Can't see it, Slade would be a noddy appointment...

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Slade has done a good job at Yeovil on a tiny budget. They won 4 in a row before he left.

Why would he not be a good appointment? Has he not got the right image?

Lush

Mods' Pet
I think someone with firefighting experience would be a great idea, just until the end of the season to keep us in League One.

At the end of the season we may need a different kind of person, depending on whether we stay up or go down. We have to be in the Championship in two years time to fill Falmer.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
This from a Grimsby supporting pal. From what he says, I would be happy with Slade, perhaps until the end of season

"I liked him, he got a lot of stick towards the end of his time at Grimsby, mainly due to the style of football played - a bit hit it into the corners and get speedy forwards to chase after it - not pretty, but it worked.

But in his first season he played nice football in a 4-3-3 formation but weren't getting results despite dominating teams so he realised this and switched it (a strength if you ask me), however the majority of fans thought we'd be able to pass our way out of the division like we did under Buckley 15 years earlier, which was never going to happen. Once we'd mixed it up a bit we did well and got to the play offs (and the fans still moaned about the footballing style, but then they are still moaning now because Buckley got sacked).

Apparently after verbally agreeing a contract he had talks with Yeovil and decided to go there - all supposedly in the week up to the play off final, so a lot of fans blame him for our play off final defeat too as he wasn't in the right frame of mind to motivate players (apparently if the manager isn't up for it players can't get motivated playing in a final at the Millennium Stadium!)

He made some quality signings for us - Rob Jones (who went to Hibs), Curtis Woodhouse, Gary Jones and Michael Reddy, who claimed when he signed that Slade was phoning him up every 2 hours asking him if he had made his mind up yet and eventually it was easier to say yes! Compare that with Buckley who said he spoke to Jack Lester once and he seemed interested but then Jack didn't return his second call so he gave up on him (Lester then top scored for Chesterfield the following season!)"

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I think someone with firefighting experience would be a great idea ....

You bints just love a man in a uniform ...

Anyway, Fireman Sam is currently managing in the Pontypridd sunday league but could maybe do a job [better than White/Booker?]

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I've said this before but I will say it again....

Slade would be a teriffic appointment. He has had 3 managerial jobs and has done well in all of them. He took a Yeovil team to the verge of the Championship on a fraction of most clubs budget in this league until the side was dismantled.

People have to be realistic with who we can appoint, at this level any manager coming in will have some doubts about them, hence why they're coming to a club near the bottom of the third tier of English football.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
People have to be realistic with who we can appoint, at this level any manager coming in will have some doubts about them, hence why they're coming to a club near the bottom of the third tier of English football.

I agree - the last thing the club needs is to completely skint itself [excuse the pun] in pursuing a so-called Big Name. As we've seen so many times before, administration is not a place you want to be in.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I've said this before but I will say it again....

Slade would be a teriffic appointment. He has had 3 managerial jobs and has done well in all of them. He took a Yeovil team to the verge of the Championship on a fraction of most clubs budget in this league until the side was dismantled.

Yer I get it.... Like that bloke Brian Clough did some years ago. Where did he come from and go to?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
This from a Grimsby supporting pal. From what he says, I would be happy with Slade, perhaps until the end of season

"I liked him, he got a lot of stick towards the end of his time at Grimsby, mainly due to the style of football played - a bit hit it into the corners and get speedy forwards to chase after it - not pretty, but it worked.

But in his first season he played nice football in a 4-3-3 formation but weren't getting results despite dominating teams so he realised this and switched it (a strength if you ask me), however the majority of fans thought we'd be able to pass our way out of the division like we did under Buckley 15 years earlier, which was never going to happen. Once we'd mixed it up a bit we did well and got to the play offs (and the fans still moaned about the footballing style, but then they are still moaning now because Buckley got sacked).

Apparently after verbally agreeing a contract he had talks with Yeovil and decided to go there - all supposedly in the week up to the play off final, so a lot of fans blame him for our play off final defeat too as he wasn't in the right frame of mind to motivate players (apparently if the manager isn't up for it players can't get motivated playing in a final at the Millennium Stadium!)

He made some quality signings for us - Rob Jones (who went to Hibs), Curtis Woodhouse, Gary Jones and Michael Reddy, who claimed when he signed that Slade was phoning him up every 2 hours asking him if he had made his mind up yet and eventually it was easier to say yes! Compare that with Buckley who said he spoke to Jack Lester once and he seemed interested but then Jack didn't return his second call so he gave up on him (Lester then top scored for Chesterfield the following season!)"

Really interesting perspective. After initial doubts, I'm beginning to warm to the idea of Slade getting the job. A lifetime of disliking Ince and Pardew is making me hope Slade is our man...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here