[Albion] Rushworth named Swansea player of the year

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How many Premier League clubs have two keepers who are genuinely competing for the number one shirt?
Us, Burnley (Muric currently has the shirt, but Trafford has been first choice for most of the season), Sheffield United (Grbic / Foderingham), and arguably Chelsea (Sanchez only lost his place to Petrovic through injury, and presumably has the potential to win the shirt back)

pigmanovich

Mar 16, 2024
London
Us, Burnley (Muric currently has the shirt, but Trafford has been first choice for most of the season), Sheffield United (Grbic / Foderingham), and arguably Chelsea (Sanchez only lost his place to Petrovic through injury, and presumably has the potential to win the shirt back)
Forest too?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No – definitely not.

Between RDZ and Jack Stern (the rotation was a joint decision, according to JS on the official podcast), the management of the two goalkeepers has meant that the new boy was not slung in at the deep end, but more given a certain amount of experience and then watched and learned from Jason Steele. I guess it's a bit like an apprenticeship and he has come on leaps and bounds in recent months.

To chuck a guy with just a season's experience of the Championship as the MAIN keeper would be absolute madness and quite possibly ruin him. My guess is another loan and then the season after next Steele moves on (he'll probably be number two (he already is that, according to some fans :poop: )next season) and then Bart and Rushworth or A.N Other are the duo for 25/26.

Unless Bart's been flogged to Chelsea Todd by then for £267m plus Sanchez.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Don't forget Beadle and Scherpen too. Mega rotation next season - Steele / Verbruggen / Rushworth / Beadle / Scherpen.

That would keep the opposition guessing.
And our defence too.

But I think I am right that Beadle has been getting rave reviews as well...interesting dilemmas abound.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
No – definitely not.

Between RDZ and Jack Stern (the rotation was a joint decision, according to JS on the official podcast), the management of the two goalkeepers has meant that the new boy was not slung in at the deep end, but more given a certain amount of experience and then watched and learned from Jason Steele. I guess it's a bit like an apprenticeship and he has come on leaps and bounds in recent months.

To chuck a guy with just a season's experience of the Championship as the MAIN keeper would be absolute madness and quite possibly ruin him. My guess is another loan and then the season after next Steele moves on (he'll probably be number two (he already is that, according to some fans :poop: )next season) and then Bart and Rushworth or A.N Other are the duo for 25/26.

Unless Bart's been flogged to Chelsea Todd by then for £267m plus Sanchez.
Although don't want Sanchez back.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Looks like his contract expires this summer.
Unless Albion have added the 1 year extension contract clause onto it, like they do with most contracts. Can't see us getting much money for him with such little 1st Team league experiences in his career.

That article has his contract runnning out in 2023. He did sign a new deal last summer which runs until 2025, with the option of another year.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I considered both Burnley and Sheffield United when I posed the question.

I guess it comes down to how you define "competing", but both of those examples feel as though the manager lost faith in their appointed number one, and resorted to their previous second choice. Hard to say for sure though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I considered both Burnley and Sheffield United when I posed the question.

I guess it comes down to how you define "competing", but both of those examples feel as though the manager lost faith in their appointed number one, and resorted to their previous second choice. Hard to say for sure though.
That is by definition 'competing' though, surely? (Rather than 'rotating' - we are pretty much alone in that).

Trafford was the Burnley first choice, until dropped for Muric. Trafford will be training hard and waiting for Muric to make (yet another) mistake, for his next chance to impress. I think they are genuinely fighting for the starting place, rather than one being an obvious back-up to the other.

And Sanchez only lost his place through injury, and will be training hard trying to win back the shirt (or possibly moping about, sulking, and spending time at home with his new baby - who knows with that lad?)

Ramsdale was the Arsenal number one until Raya took the shirt - they were competing for it, until seemingly Raya won out.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Don't forget Beadle and Scherpen too. Mega rotation next season - Steele / Verbruggen / Rushworth / Beadle / Scherpen.

That would keep the opposition guessing.
I've been very bored lately and have been playing a Fifa player career mode thing with Albion. The AI is hilariously unrealistic but it kills some time. I'm in my second season, RDZ is still in charge and he genuinely rotates Verbruggen, Rushworth, Scherpen and McGill every game. I found it quite funny.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And our defence too.

But I think I am right that Beadle has been getting rave reviews as well...interesting dilemmas abound.
Rushworth and Beadle; it's like Sanchez and Walton all over again - unfortunately complicated because we got ourselves in a position where we had to go our and spend £20M on another GK. So it's three into one now.....:(

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
On June 6 2021 Rushworth was announced as the Brighton and Hove Albion Young Player of the Season.
On May 7 2022 he was named as both the Young Player of the Season and the Players' Player of the Season at the end of his loan spell at Walsall.
On May 7 2023 he was named as the Young Player of the Season at the end of his loan spell at Lincoln City.
On May 1 2024 he was named as both the Players' Player of the Season and the Supporters' Player of the Season at the end of his loan spell at Swansea City.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
It may not happen but I want Rushworth back at the club next season, we can't keep loaning him out forever - time to see if he can dislodge Bart!

If not, he'll still bring in a couple of million, and then Beadle will be looking to prove his mettle in a season or two.

Scherpen I would expect to leave this summer, and if McGill is happy to keep playing third fiddle (assuming Rushworth doesn't join the first team) then he'll keep doing that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports