Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Running shoes

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I am back in the Brooks family, comfy for me. Would just echo that investing in a comfy, well fitted pair is worth the investment vs bad pair and injuries.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Yep - another recommendation here for RUN and in particular Brooks

After a couple of pairs of so-so Sauconys Kurt suggested I tried a pair of Brooks and I really like them

Shame I'm no longer local. Will look out for similar local to me.

Our local Sports shop was pushing shoes with gel soles and heels and something about the high part at the back of the heel that 'automatically' adjusts to the shape of your ankle/achilles - is this bullshit?

Will look out for Brooks as all the Acis shoes were really garish colours - not a good look on a senior citizen.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Wow, been reading the Brooks web site. Found out all about under and over-pronators. Its a whole new world I never knew existed. I'm flat footed so will get the brown paper out later and do the test.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Another one in the brooks camp - I over pronate and have wide feet - perfect for me, shame they are so bloody expensive.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Bought a nice pair of Nike white trainers in the summer which are really comfortable. If you do a lot of walking like me, it's very important to get a pair that don't rub and cause blisters so I always buy running trainers even though I don't jog as much as I used to.

JSD Albion

Jul 17, 2003
Burgess Hill
Shame I'm no longer local. Will look out for similar local to me.

Our local Sports shop was pushing shoes with gel soles and heels and something about the high part at the back of the heel that 'automatically' adjusts to the shape of your ankle/achilles - is this bullshit?

Will look out for Brooks as all the Acis shoes were really garish colours - not a good look on a senior citizen.

Do it on a match day, but leave yourself a good 45 minutes in Run. And don't fret about the colour!

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Bought a fairly simple pair of Asics from Sports Direct a few months ago and I'm really pleased with them. They're the most comfy running shoes I've had and at a reasonable price too (around £35).

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Since the shoes are the only outlay......

I thought that, but after 3.5 years have now accumulated:

3 water bottles
Camelbak
Garmin 205
A new pair of trainers every c4-500 miles
Gilet
Running Tights
Wicking socks
Gloves
Hat
Techinal T shirts x 3 (long and short sleeve)
Shorts
Nipple Guards !!!
Countless gels
Carrying waist belt
Ipod/phone arm belt
Knee brace
Support sock
Several trips to physio at £45 a pop
And then there's the cost of race entries-Brighton marathon is £50 this year!

etc etc

If you are anything like serious, it is a lot more than just one pair of trainers! Be warned!!

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
I thought that, but after 3.5 years have now accumulated:

3 water bottles
Camelbak
Garmin 205
A new pair of trainers every c4-500 miles
Gilet
Running Tights
Wicking socks
Gloves
Hat
Techinal T shirts x 3 (long and short sleeve)
Shorts
Nipple Guards !!!
Countless gels
Carrying waist belt
Ipod/phone arm belt
Knee brace
Support sock
Several trips to physio at £45 a pop
And then there's the cost of race entries-Brighton marathon is £50 this year!

etc etc

If you are anything like serious, it is a lot more than just one pair of trainers! Be warned!!

Fair point. However these items are way past the starting point. Get the shoes, get running and then work out what might make the experience more enjoyable / bearable.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Brooks are brilliant shoes for me. Try Sweatshop in Queens Road Brighton, or elsewhere. The staff are very well trained and they video you on a treadmill to ensure you get the right shoes.

Prices are about £85 but you can usually get £5 - £15 discount. When you've found the right shoes you can go on the web eg sportsshoes.com and get them cheaper (although I rarely do this because it could put the good shops out of business).

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Fair point. However these items are way past the starting point. Get the shoes, get running and then work out what might make the experience more enjoyable / bearable.

Sound advice!

A tip which worked for me in order to keep the training going, is to enter regular (every 3-4 months) a race. I started with 10ks, then halfs, working my way up to marathon, rather than go straight for the big one and get put off as training so daunting (unless merely looking to poodle round).

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
I would also say try The Jog Shop in George Street, just of St James's Street,they will have a great deal of knowledge and be able to find you the right running shoes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here