Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rumour - Ian Holloway has resigned

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That would certainly complete a bad day when the bloke he said wasn't good enough for Bristol Rovers will turn out for England later on.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Why does it?

Surely they should be looking forward to going to the so called best grounds int he world, playing the best players, but the reality is they lost out to Swansea for a striker because they can't offer enough wages. Holloway has looked a shadow of himself of late and seems completely stressed by it all. I don't blame the club for keeping the wage cap in place, it makes perfect sense, but it goes to show what most footballers are about. A chance to show what you have got in the prem, or to earn a few more quid in the championship? Either that, or sign some unknown, shonky, Romanian who you have only seen on video because they have't done any scouting around Europe as they haven't needed to.

Granted, not all clubs going up are like this, but I stil think it is sad.

Seasiders move to stop Ian Holloway walking out on Blackpool | Football | The Guardian

Seasiders move to stop Ian Holloway walking out on Blackpool

• Manager upset at missing out on Marlon Harewood signing
• Players have received promotion bonus, says chairman

The Blackpool manager, Ian Holloway, was reported to be in dispute with his chairman, Karl Oyston, over transfer funds and the Seasiders had been forced to act swiftly to stop the 47-year-old from walking out on the newly promoted Premier League club.

Holloway was reported to have missed training and returned home to Bristol after Blackpool were in danger of missing out on Marlon Harewood, who was offered more money by the League One club Huddersfield, according to the Daily Mail. The club's salary ceiling of £10,000 a week has meant that the Ipswich striker Jon Stead and Rob Hulse of Derby have rejected Blackpool's advances.

Oyston attempted to soothe the waters by calling a press conference at Bloomfield Road for today and expected the former QPR manager to attend. "Ian can be a bit volatile but I am very calm and together we can get along," he was quoted as saying.

Oyston also insisted that the players had now been paid their promotion bonuses. "I don't know if it caused dissent [not being paid] but we didn't get the first chunk of Premier League money until Thursday.

"The players have received it. I'm delighted. Maybe one or two of them thought we'd be handing them a bagful of money as they walked off the pitch after the play-off final. I hope they earn another £5m this year by keeping us in the Premier League."

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Apparently they have a wage cap of 10 grand a week.

If true, then good for them. I think the Blackpool board have taken a good look at the farce that is Hull City and decided to avoid financial ruin.

I hope Holloway stays and makes the best job of it he can.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surely they should be looking forward to going to the so called best grounds int he world, playing the best players, but the reality is they lost out to Swansea for a striker because they can't offer enough wages. Holloway has looked a shadow of himself of late and seems completely stressed by it all. I don't blame the club for keeping the wage cap in place, it makes perfect sense, but it goes to show what most footballers are about. A chance to show what you have got in the prem, or to earn a few more quid in the championship? Either that, or sign some unknown, shonky, Romanian who you have only seen on video because they have't done any scouting around Europe as they haven't needed to.

Granted, not all clubs going up are like this, but I stil think it is sad.

Their stance sounds eminently sensible, and understandable, given the alternative [Pompey / Hull]. They have chosen the West Brom way, instead, which may not mean flirting with Europa Laegue qulaification, but which might secure the future of the club for years.

If Holloway doesn't like it, that's his problem. Doesn't mean anything about the Premier League itself.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
If true, then good for them. I think the Blackpool board have taken a good look at the farce that is Hull City and decided to avoid financial ruin.

I hope he stays too. And, i hope the fans stick by the team, no matter what. They just need to see this as a bonus season. Make a few quid, have a few nice away days, but without getting the club into debt, then use the money they do make to imporve the club.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I hope he stays too. And, i hope the fans stick by the team, no matter what. They just need to see this as a bonus season. Make a few quid, have a few nice away days, but without getting the club into debt, then use the money they do make to imporve the club.

Well, quite. Now you've got it...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Absolutely. Blackpool have nothing to lose this season. They are free to tear into every game as if it was a cup-tie and just go for it and not be afraid to lose. You know along the way they will have a couple of special days that will live long in the memory and that is what football is all about.

I'd like to think we would do the same if we were in their position.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've got sympathy for Holloway, what Blackpool are doing may be the right thing and ensure the club is there in the future - but it also effectively condemns them to relegation before a ball is kicked, when they were already favourites. Playing with no hope of winning is not what Holloway is all about at all. If you are being outbid by League One clubs, that can't be right. I'm sure that hasn't happened to West Brom.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Is there not some middle ground though?

Whilst clubs like Hull took the piss (for example Celtic recently couldn't match Jimmy Bullard's wages), surely the income they are guaranteed (not just for this year but the next few with parachute payments) means they can afford to bring in 1 or 2 experienced premiership players from the lower end/top championship players and stretch that 10k?

Its interesting to hear all the words of reason on here, yet if (or hopefully when) its us, people will be demanding all sorts of transfer activity.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Their stance sounds eminently sensible, and understandable, given the alternative [Pompey / Hull]. They have chosen the West Brom way, instead, which may not mean flirting with Europa Laegue qulaification, but which might secure the future of the club for years.

Is it the right approach though? I agree it SHOULD be, but looking at Portsmouth why not go for broke (literally) and give the fans a few good years before walking away from the pile of debt and starting again? Especially as the football 'punishment' for being profligate is simply a bog-standard relegation, the same fate Blackpool will probably suffer for being prudent - only for Blackpool the relegation axe will probably fall quicker.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Well, quite. Now you've got it...

I do believe I had it all along, i am just nto very good at explaining myself :thumbsup:

I still think the prem is a bit of a poisoned chalice for some clubs. Granted, some of them bring ti on themselves, but it is a shame that any promoted club should have to see the season as a bit of a jolly, with no hope of competing on a consistent basis.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tooting is right.

I'm all for prudence, but a ceiling of £10k a week is a ludicrously low figure in this market, and when you consider how much extra money has been raked in by promotion. I think the chairman is being a bit tight.

I'm guessing that Swansea must have offered double that to Harewood because I'd have a hard time believing that all players are entirely motivated by the highest pay packet alone. In this instance, I'd have thought Blackpool would only have to come reasonably close to Swansea's offer in order to get their man.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Seasiders move to stop Ian Holloway walking out on Blackpool | Football | The Guardian

Seasiders move to stop Ian Holloway walking out on Blackpool

Holloway was reported to have missed training and returned home to Bristol after Blackpool were in danger of missing out on Marlon Harewood, who was offered more money by the League One club Huddersfield, according to the Daily Mail. The club's salary ceiling of £10,000 a week has meant that the Ipswich striker Jon Stead and Rob Hulse of Derby have rejected Blackpool's advances.

"The players have received it (their bonus money). I'm delighted. Maybe one or two of them thought we'd be handing them a bagful of money as they walked off the pitch after the play-off final. I hope they earn another £5m this year by keeping us in the Premier League."

oesn't this demonstrate in a time of national austerity, where thousands of government employees are threatened with redundancy, how totally unrealistic the Premier League world is now.

If £10,000 a WEEK is too little to encourage a few non-internationals to hoof a ball around for a few days a year, and some of them anticipate seven-figure bonuses, then as far as i am concerned, the sooner Platini and UEFA get the FA and Legue bosses tp listen to sense over wage levels, the better.

Otherwise in ten year's time there will only be mega-Premiership clubs with 100% foreign owners and 100% foreign playing staff, using England as a base for a world-wide football franchise. No hope of promotion, they won't want to rock the boat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here