Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rules relating to loan players?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Hmm, I think a bit of edifying is in order.

Firstly, season long foreign loans count as transfers, not loans, which is why we can field as many as we like. Secondly they all - with the exception of chalobah - have a price agreed at the end of the season should we want them. Thirdly, they all wanted to come, none of them were forced. Abdi, forestieri, vydra and pudil have all agreed contracts already to be announced in January. Make no mistake, these are Watford players and if we want them we will sign them, which is why they do not play like loan players usually would. The only reason the majority of them weren't signed permanently in the first place was because of the transfer embargo during the late takeover.

As for the 'moral' carp - how is this any different to somebody buying millions of pounds worth of players? Nobody bats an eyelid when forest spend their millions with oil rich owners. We have obtained millions of pounds of players for squat, no financial risk or outlay from ourselves and players of true quality who are desperate to sign permanent deals for us, and if we can't afford them they will just be loaned to us again.

our owners simply moved existing playing assets to us instead of shelling out tens of millions. I fail to see the moral dilemma, it is more of a 'tin pot Watford aren't allowed to upset the applecart' dilemma as we found a way around the exclusive billionaire owner club which the top two divisions have become.

We are without a doubt in the best position of any club in the league. Run by a family who have taken two clubs to the top level by buying low and selling high using astute scouting and business deals. In their years at udinese they have taken them from bankruptcy in serie b to consistent champions league football while making over 100 million pounds profit. They took Granada from the Spanish third division to bbva survival in three seasons using a similar system to the one they are using with us.

Neuton can't get in the team in front of tommy hoban who debuted under zola.

We are in a unique, fortunate, honourable and above board position, and if it was successful we knew we would be the most evil team in the country, but that is fine. We have broken no rules and are no more immoral than Wigan, or yourselves. Our big money owner simply hasn't spent any money, that's all.

We spent years doing things the 'right' way, and whet was our reward? Big money owners buying other teams and pricing us out the market, losing our best academy prospects for the lowest bidder and then the big one EEEP, which made our whole business plan of producing British talent impossible. Now we can keep our best prospects and tell big money teams to f*** off when they bid for our kids.

Peace

You are without a doubt taking the piss and pushing the ambiguity in the rules to the absolute limit. Don't blame you for trying but the League should re-draft the rules to stop you and any other clever dick foreign owners from coming along and doing the same thing.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Is it worth someone asking the club about this? Seems a bit unfair if Watford make the play offs on the back of breaking the rules (which they will have done if they don't make transfers permanent by 1st Feb)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it worth someone asking the club about this? Seems a bit unfair if Watford make the play offs on the back of breaking the rules (which they will have done if they don't make transfers permanent by 1st Feb)

I do not believe Watford are breaking any rules but I'd be interested to see clarification of how they are doing this.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nooooo! It may end on the last day of August, but it doesn't mean it starts on the 1st.

Read the second paragraph:

When does the transfer window open and close?

As it says at midnight on the last day of the season so a transfer at 0001 is not part of the season. The rules regarding buying loan players says by the end of the season, which is midnight on the last day, or am I misinterpreting it.

Dec 29, 2011
I bet if we would of won yesterday, nobody on here would be questioning the rules around loan players !!!

Agreed, all seems a bit bitter IMO. We shouldn't cover up the awful lack-lustre performance of our players by pointing fingers at Watford's loan signings.

Moosedog

Jul 30, 2012
It is a FIFA rule that foreign loans are classified as temporary transfers and there is nothing the FA or football league can do about it, so Watford are not breaking any rules plus they also comply with the six home grown player rule in a match day squad. So under the existing rules Watford only have one Loan player and that is Chalobah from Chelsea

watford?

Nov 2, 2011
Haha so many sour grapes in this thread, especially hilarious coming from Brighton. You lot aren't exactly bastions of English talent eh?

None of you have answered how this is any different to a big money owner coming in and spending lots of money, because it isn't. It is no different to what your owner has done, except there is zero risk involved for us.

How 'moral' is Wayne bridge's loan?

You want to point the finger of morality go point it at the oil barons and the premier league whose wage inflation has made surviving on crowds of under 18000 nearly impossible without making losses. We have finally secured our future, we were liquidated for certain had the pozzos not rescued us in the summer. It just so happens we landed the best owners in the world while we were at it. I was happy cor Brighton to land their big money owner to take them out of the financial and footballing shit even though it meant you suddenly became much richer ans better than ourselves overnight ans even took Buckley. Seems such generosity is not reciprocal.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Haha so many sour grapes in this thread, especially hilarious coming from Brighton. You lot aren't exactly bastions of English talent eh?

None of you have answered how this is any different to a big money owner coming in and spending lots of money, because it isn't. It is no different to what your owner has done, except there is zero risk involved for us.

You want to point the finger of morality go point it at the oil barons and the premier league whose wage inflation has made surviving on crowds of under 18000 nearly impossible without making losses. We have finally secured our future, we were liquidated for certain had the pozzos not rescued us in the summer. It just so happens we landed the best owners in the world while we were at it. I was happy cor Brighton to land their big money owner to take them out of the financial and footballing shit even though it meant you suddenly became much richer ans better than ourselves overnight ans even took Buckley. Seems such generosity is not reciprocal.

If (as Moosedog has said above) foreign loans class as temporary transfers rather than loans I have no problem with it. As long as you are breaking no rules good luck to you. Hope you continue to do well and knock Palace out of the Play off spots!

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

Oooooo, rather a bold statement? I hope for Watford's sake, you are right. It wouldn't be re-inventing the wheel if a club that was heavily bankrolled with cash & promises from Foreign owners, suddenly went belly up with little notice.

Hopefully for you, this thread won't be bounced further down the line.......

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

We didn't land our big money owner. He was there all the time like his family before him and grandad Harry before him!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just to add a bit more clarification, here is an exchange of emails with the Football League. Rules could be changed next year but she doesn't say whether that will be to prevent the likes of Watford doing what they are currently doing.

Can you confirm which players you are referring to? To confirm players on loan from Foreign clubs do not count under the loan regulations, that applies to domestic loans only.

Thank you for contacting The Football League.

Kind Regards

Amanda

Amanda Craig

Customer Services Administrator

The Football League Limited
Email - enquiries@football-league.co.uk

Real Football Real Fans | THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE | OFFICIAL SITE

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The query related to Watford who fielded 7 loan players, the majority being from Udinese and therefore classified as overseas and outside the rules. You have answered the query but it does lead to another one in that why is it one rule for overseas players and another for domestic, surely it should be a level playing field, preferably with the rules that currently apply to domestic players. It currently seems to fly in the face of encouraging domestic players which is then at the expense of the home nations international teams.
Thank you for your reply.

There are no regulations regarding loans from overseas, except our Welsh Clubs that fall under our domestic system. It expected this regulation will be amended from next season.

There is no limit on how many foreign loans a Club can have although clubs are restricted to some degree by the ‘homegrown players’ regulation.

Please see regulation 33.7 The Football League | About Us | Regulations | Regulations Detail | Section 5 - Fixtures for details on the homegrown rule.

Kind Regards

Amanda

Amanda Craig

Customer Services Administrator

The Football League Limited
Email - enquiries@football-league.co.uk

Real Football Real Fans | THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE | OFFICIAL SITE

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I guess the answer to that is our full ownership of our foreign players hasn't prompted the football authorities to re look at the rules. Good luck to Watford, you haven't broken the rules but your behaviour has probably meant they will be changed.

I've forgotten the exact details, but I understand you get round the maximum loan rule since some are capped internationals ? Whatever happened an unexpected loop hole that you have exploited and good luck to you.

Enjoy it while you can. Our manager fully supports what you have done by the way. Personally I would be uncomfortable about effectively playing another teams side. A feeder team if you like.

Each to his own. You are definitely a wonderful team to watch, whose team is another matter.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here