Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rules question re ref on Saturday

Yoda

English & European
What the Law also states however, is that the referee must make every effort not to interfere with the flow of the game and so, his adjudicator at the match may tell him to reposition himself better so that he doesn't find himself in a similar position.

Which is not what happened as he was far too concerned about the balloon than the game.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The ref was quite clearly in the way. Why make the pass? I thought Ince played well overall but everyone seems to be overlooking the fact he was definitely rushing things and overhitting passes quite regularly. He had plenty of space to move into before making a pass, and it nearly cost us a goal.

From I was sat (and I may be remembering it wrong) I was pretty much in line with Ward and Ince and the pass was on, but the ref seemed to jump away from a ballon and into the path of the ball

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The ref was running into the area that Ince was moving to as he went to play the pass

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I suspect we would have gotten one of the two penalty claims we had in the game.

In the first half, Barnes was hauled to the ground as a long ball came in but the flag was up for offside (on buckley?). The ref would have ruled that Buckley(?) couldn't have been offside before the foul on Barnes occurred because he wasn't involved in the play until he received the ball (as opposed to him being offside because he was in that position when the ball was played) and given us a penalty. If the Lino talked him out of that, he would have given us a penalty in the second half (though I don't remember the specifics, I just remember there being a penalty claim in the second half and remarking we would have got it had ngog score from the ref's through ball).

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
in other words you don't know :lolol:

Er. I don't think they have bladders inside them nowadays Glas. They are much lighter, and move about all over the place, oh and they don't weigh 10 times as much when they get wet. Footy nowadays is for softies. :thumbsup:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If it had been a goal, perhaps Dougie would have told his players to let our players "walk" a goal in to make it 1-1.

Oh, maybe not, after the abuse he was getting from some Brighton fans, I guess he may have decided not to bother.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Er. I don't think they have bladders inside them nowadays Glas. They are much lighter, and move about all over the place, oh and they don't weigh 10 times as much when they get wet. Footy nowadays is for softies. :thumbsup:

D'oh. Yep, you're right of course.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I believe a goal was scored off a dog once in the distant past. Any creature or item will do.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
I was watching something the other day and this came up and apparantly this goal should not have stood

The beach ball was an outside agent (as the balloon would have been). The ref isn't

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Here is one for you budding referees which happened in a game I was watching the other week.

Team A were awarded a free kick and they took it quickly (with the referees approval I might add). Player from Team B hadn't retreated 10 yards and tried to block the ball after it had been kicked. The referee booked the player from Team B and got the Team A player to re-take the kick. Where should the re-taken kick be taken from? From the original spot or where the ball came into contact with the Team B player?

In the game it was the former which I always thought was the ruling. However several people who were committee members of one of the teams in question were suggesting the referee got it wrong and it should have taken where the second offence took place.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
I recommend the You Are The Refs book for Christmas presents this year. There is also a You Are The Umpire which is also excellent

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
OK so what if
a player hits the ball towards the goal and it looks most likely to go in but half way there the ball bursts and the inner part goes into the goal and the outer goes over the bar
what would that be?

The whole of the ball has to cross the whole of the line.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
OK so what if
a player hits the ball towards the goal and it looks most likely to go in but half way there the ball bursts and the inner part goes into the goal and the outer goes over the bar
what would that be?

In theory once the ball bursts it is no longer suitable for use. The referee must stop play and re-start with a drop ball on the edge of the six yard box. No goal.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
In theory once the ball bursts it is no longer suitable for use. The referee must stop play and re-start with a drop ball on the edge of the six yard box. No goal.

the answer of coarse as Skip pointed out it would not happen now

but when the ball did have an interior part and split into two pieces one going in and the other over the bar = a bloody miracle

:wink:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Here is one for you budding referees which happened in a game I was watching the other week.

Team A were awarded a free kick and they took it quickly (with the referees approval I might add). Player from Team B hadn't retreated 10 yards and tried to block the ball after it had been kicked. The referee booked the player from Team B and got the Team A player to re-take the kick. Where should the re-taken kick be taken from? From the original spot or where the ball came into contact with the Team B player?

In the game it was the former which I always thought was the ruling. However several people who were committee members of one of the teams in question were suggesting the referee got it wrong and it should have taken where the second offence took place.

Did the player deliberately block it ? Or did it just hit him?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I recommend the You Are The Refs book for Christmas presents this year. There is also a You Are The Umpire which is also excellent

I recommend just posting any questions about refs and umpires on NSC :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here