Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Rugby (Union) World Cup Official Thread

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
God there is some shit written on here after that game…..
We lost by one point to the World Champions and if you don’t or unable to understand how penalties are awarded and why……..,,
Well I’d consider not watching it. It’s obviously not for you.
We were unlucky.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Absolutely textbook from Scottish rugby fans. Brighton will win the PL before Scotland will win a RWC.
They are an odd bunch.
What battle were they going on about this time ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We lost by one point to the World Champions and if you don’t or unable to understand how penalties are awarded and why……..,,
We were unlucky.
I don’t understand the sport well enough to argue with anybody about the award of that final penalty. I assume though, that everyone outraged, was completely in agreement on all four of the penalties England were awarded.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
We were unlucky.

Very unlucky.

Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, Farrell’s ill discipline probably rubbed the ref up the wrong way.

Regardless, Jamie George couldn’t have been any politer or more reasonable in trying to explain what the SA props were consistently doing.

To be bundled out of the World Cup by a scrum penalty decision like that is an absolute sickener.

The good thing is that this performance will have given Borthwick some much needed breathing space.

Some of our best performers last night were 25 and under.

What we need to do now is be very ruthless in strategy and selection in terms of building for the new WC. Anyone who isn’t going to be around the team in 4 years time needs to be eased out very quickly.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I don’t understand the sport well enough to argue with anybody about the award of that final penalty. I assume though, that everyone outraged, was completely in agreement on all four of the penalties England were awarded.

We were absolutely dominating the breakdown and objectively I cannot see anything wrong with any of England’s penalties. Our speed in defence, along with the ferocity of our tackling and technical work in the ruck was genuinely world class last night. It hasn’t been for a long time, but last night it was off the scale.

We brutalised a South African back row that has been dishing out that sort of treatment for years. Their fly half was the one sacrificed on half an hour, but make no mistake he was carrying the can for the quality and aggression of our defence.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
There were 4 scrum penalties awarded against england in the last 22 mins. 2 of which i have an issue with. The england penalties weren't all scrum penalties (which are controversial as scrums are now extremely complicated to ref and sometimes focus on the ref feeling someone is to blame as a scrum collapse or moving sideways rather than seeing a specific foul move) but i do think farrell caused one of the knock ons with a foul move so one of those I thought was harsh on the saffas

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
You obviously haven't seen TASanalytics on Youtube which is a channel dedicated to how Northern hemisphere refs cheat to help Northern hemisphere teams. Everyone thinks they are hard done by in rugby when they lose because the game has become pretty much impossible to ref.

Well done England by the way and unlucky. South Africa are masters at conning a late penalty.
That's a fine bit of whataboutery but doesn't change the facts. O'Keefe, after cheating France the previous weekend, repeatedly gave SA scrum penalties when they were infringing.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not claiming to be an expert on the finer points of the very technical rules however what I failed to understand was that as the clock was ticking down (before SA had that final penalty) why did we persist in kicking the ball straight back them? I can only assume that if you're concerned about conceding penalties, best do it in their half!

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Just got back to the hotel. Absolutely gutted but proud of the performance.

Sold my final tickets, cancelled flights and hotel. May or may not bother watching the final. Might feel differently in a week.

On the way out, several sweaties leaping around for joy like it was the best thing that happened to them since theiy shagged their sister. I kept brushing the shoulder of one to try and remove his chip, thing it went over his head. Even the Irish in the train couldn’t get how much the sweaties hate us. B*stards.
You're acting as if this is only one way.

Even on here I've lost count of the number of times a Welsh loss has been greeted with joy and laughter.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
You're acting as if this is only one way.

Even on here I've lost count of the number of times a Welsh loss has been greeted with joy and laughter.
Really? My God, you didn’t see them. Banter and rivalry is one thing, this was vitriolic in your face pure hatred. Have you seen that on this site?

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
That's a fine bit of whataboutery but doesn't change the facts. O'Keefe, after cheating France the previous weekend, repeatedly gave SA scrum penalties when they were infringing.
The French knew what he was all about ……
20231021_205316.jpeg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Really? My God, you didn’t see them. Banter and rivalry is one thing, this was vitriolic in your face pure hatred. Have you seen that on this site?
Once I told a Scots colleague that I have no grudge and like to see them winning. I was told I was condescending. You can never get it right.

That said, much of my work is based in Scotland and I've never felt antipathy. Most folk, as usual, are in the middle and don't really care for ancient rivalries.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Smashed by the same country in cricket.

Not won a major final in football since 66.

But yes, everything is fine. That mindset will hold us back
Didn't we win the last cricket world cup in both formats?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
England were more than a shade unlucky and I know it's a different code but the England Rugby League team went a long way to making amends for their Union counterparts with a quite superb 22-18 victory over Tonga in the first of the three test series yesterday.

As for the final, I said from the start the All Blacks and I think they will do the business to cement their place as one of the great not just ruby legacies but sporting legacies, the world (other than SA) will be roaring them on. They've been the best team and the most entertaining team of the tournament by some distance.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not claiming to be an expert on the finer points of the very technical rules however what I failed to understand was that as the clock was ticking down (before SA had that final penalty) why did we persist in kicking the ball straight back them? I can only assume that if you're concerned about conceding penalties, best do it in their half!
It turned out to have been the correct tactic for the conditions and had worked for most of the game. Credit to England that they executed it really well with good chasing and making hits that forced turnovers. At no point did SA look like they were going to run through us, so kicking it deep into their half was a fairly safe option.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It turned out to have been the correct tactic for the conditions and had worked for most of the game. Credit to England that they executed it really well with good chasing and making hits that forced turnovers. At no point did SA look like they were going to run through us, so kicking it deep into their half was a fairly safe option.
South Africa kicked plenty of high ball but but big Freddie was immense

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Third Place 'Final' btw - what a horrible, stupid idea.

Third Place play-off at the football world cup is a pointless exercise for two teams of devastated players, who just want to get home to their families. To ask the rugby players to put their bodies on the line again, for such a thing is absolutely ridiculous.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
How different to football All those penalties given and did not hear one criticism from a pundit.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Third Place 'Final' btw - what a horrible, stupid idea.

Third Place play-off at the football world cup is a pointless exercise for two teams of devastated players, who just want to get home to their families. To ask the rugby players to put their bodies on the line again, for such a thing is absolutely ridiculous.
To top it off there is no difference in prize money for the nations that finish third and fourth. Both the English and Argentinian rugby union associations will receive one and a half million pounds/equivalent in Argentinian currency.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here