[Other Sport] Rugby (Union) World Cup Official Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
That's why it's called an advantage
I don't quite get it. Say in football (I know it's a different game) but someone gets hacked down, ref plays advantage as they have a chance to score or make a break... if they don't make something of it, then so be it, they squandered the advantage..
Can't have the advantage AND a free kick.

Don't see why in rugby you can have an advantage AND a penalty if they mess it up

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That's OK - I'm not South African.
It was an apology for my language...nowt to do with your ancestry. ..I try hard not to swear but ..tonight....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't quite get it. Say in football (I know it's a different game) but someone gets hacked down, ref plays advantage as they have a chance to score or make a break... if they don't make something of it, then so be it, they squandered the advantage..

Don't see why in rugby you can have an advantage AND a penalty if they mess it up
Advantage leading to a potential try-scoring opportunity (7 points with the conversion), penalty is ‘second prize’.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yeah but you

Because an advantage in football isn't really an advantage at all. When the team squander their opportunity after playing on, everyone moans that the ref didn't give the foul. Rugby have it correct as their way is a proper advantage. It's a very good rule/law.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Gutted.

SA earned the victory. They earned the right to put that thought in Ben O’Keefe’s head. That scrum in the first half might have been reset, but their scrum in the second bossed us.

Well played England. Well done SA. They did enough in the end but boy how proud to watch an England team make SA play the game we wanted them to play it.

But, absolutely gutted.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I watched because was a big game but could somebody explain what that last penalty was for ?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Gutted. Very fine margins and all that.

The state of some of the players coming off!. Should give the Zaha's and Kane's of this world, some lessons on a proper injury.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The ref has absolutely fallen for their scrum antics for the last crucial penalty. Koch has turn his hip first. The penalty should have gone the other way, but referees have a really annoying habit of essentially refereeing scrums based on who was dominating going into it, not what actually happens during it.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I watched because was a big game but could somebody explain what that last penalty was for ?

The referee adjudged Ellis Genge to not be driving straight during the scrum, but from what I can see it was SA’s Vincent Koch who actually turned his hip first and therefore started driving incorrectly first.

Scrum penalties are always very marginal, but this was a particularly frustrating one.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
SA, NZ, France and Ireland are currently light years ahead of us at rugby union. SA kids are coached from an early age.

I thought tonight might be a thrashing.

So credit to Borthwick and the squad for restoring pride. Something to build upon.
They really aren’t. Rugby is cyclical, like any sport. This certainly isn’t a vintage group of England players, but they’ve still pushed SA to the limit and lost due to a very dubious last penalty.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
I don't really get Rugby, but watched it tonight as don't like the 8pm kick offs for Football on a Saturday.

What is the point in a scrum? I don't get it? Seems to always be a penalty after one, or is that the idea? Photo going round on twitter with their number 18 circled during the last scrum, was he doing something wrong?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I don't really get Rugby, but watched it tonight as don't like the 8pm kick offs for Football on a Saturday.

What is the point in a scrum? I don't get it? Seems to always be a penalty after one, or is that the idea? Photo going round on twitter with their number 18 circled during the last scrum, was he doing something wrong?

As above, from what I can see he actually turned his hip first and therefore wasn’t driving straight, which should have resulted in the penalty going to England instead.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They really aren’t. Rugby is cyclical, like any sport. This certainly isn’t a vintage group of England players, but they’ve still pushed SA to the limit and lost due to a very dubious last penalty.

Obviously I meant just now. We’ve won the rugby WC, France and Ireland haven’t. We’ve had spells of dominating European rugby, under Woodward and other coaches we’ve beaten any nation home and away.

Ireland are benefitting from a streamlined 4 provinces targeted to European glory and 15 years of a raft of southern hemisphere players naturalising as ‘Irish’.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I thought England were very unlucky tonight. Their rugby isn't the prettiest but it's very effective and a vast improvement. Defensively excellent.
But, not quite enough ambition or attacking penetration and ultimately it's the final most will have wanted to see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports