[Other Sport] Rugby (Union) World Cup Official Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
So many people have gone on about the draw and I can't decide if they're right. For me it's produced some genuinely interesting group games (Ireland v SA the pick of the bunch, Scotland disintegrating the funniest) and four brilliant quarter finals. It will also likely produce the two most one sided semis in history before a decent final.

I'd take that in a football tournament.
This is equivalent to a 6-0 win in a football semi final.

So far the 4 best games all tournament (2 group games and 2 QFs) have been played between just 4 teams.

In the quarter finals there were two of the greatest games ever in a World Cup.
But, unless England do something amazingly unexpected tomorrow it will just highlight the farce of the draw.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is equivalent to a 6-0 win in a football semi final.
Yeah I know, but the question was does it really matter if that's in a semi final or in a group game?

Everyone knows the final will be SA v NZ and it should be a cracker. How we got there is just history isn't it?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I have a sideline of gambling which makes money over the course of a year (well 12 of the last 13 since I logged every bet I made). I never give tips as it's a hiding to nothing as it is such a small sample and no one gives you thanks when in wins and everyone gives you shit if it loses.

That all said, according to my model backing South Africa at evens with a 12.5 head start is the best bet of the year that I have come across so far. (Health warning i am normally concerned with nags). Betting SA to win is likewise at 1/5 which is strictly for the those with more money than sense (as Gus would say iss complicated but technically a great bet)

It'll probably lose, my model maybe wrong but if you wanna bet that's what my Poundland data model makes it a nap.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I’m not writing off England‘s chances tomorrow quite as much as most.

I suspect our game plan will be to kick as much as possible, probably trying a fair few drop goals to keep the scoreboard ticking over as well as kicking for goal from any and all penalties in range. If SA do have weakness, one is that they’re not amazing under the high ball - and in Freddie Steward we have one of the best in the world attacking it.

England‘s core fitness is probably marginally better than SA’s, who we know like to slow the game down as much as possible and send their coaches on as waterboys at every opportunity. Our best chance will be to make a fast start and keep the tempo high, exactly as we did against NZ four years ago. If we can get our noses in front, SA aren’t brilliant usually at chasing a game.

I still don’t give us a massive chance, but we do have the talent to cause an upset if we get the gameplan right.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I’m not writing off England‘s chances tomorrow quite as much as most.

I suspect our game plan will be to kick as much as possible, probably trying a fair few drop goals to keep the scoreboard ticking over as well as kicking for goal from any and all penalties in range. If SA do have weakness, one is that they’re not amazing under the high ball - and in Freddie Steward we have one of the best in the world attacking it.

England‘s core fitness is probably marginally better than SA’s, who we know like to slow the game down as much as possible and send their coaches on as waterboys at every opportunity. Our best chance will be to make a fast start and keep the tempo high, exactly as we did against NZ four years ago. If we can get our noses in front, SA aren’t brilliant usually at chasing a game.

I still don’t give us a massive chance, but we do have the talent to cause an upset if we get the gameplan right.
Totally agree. And the weather here in Paris for tomorrow looks like Manchester in the summer, that will be a factor at some point. We have a chance, not favourites by a long shot, but a chance. I still think on balance we’ll lose but stranger things have happened.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Who knows what might happen?
I didn't think we would get out of the group based on the warm up games.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Who knows what might happen?
I didn't think we would get out of the group based on the warm up games.
Our fitness coach, who was working for SA during the last World Cup, absolutely obliterated our team physically during the pre-WC camp, which I think led to the performances in the warm up matches, with the aim of them peaking about now. We’ll see if he’s done his job tomorrow!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Totally agree. And the weather here in Paris for tomorrow looks like Manchester in the summer, that will be a factor at some point. We have a chance, not favourites by a long shot, but a chance. I still think on balance we’ll lose but stranger things have happened.
If we can keep our handling errors to a minimum and therefore a) keep the ball in the play longer and b) not give SA the change to scrum, we might get some joy.

They looked vulnerable against France in the early stages when the ball was in play for long periods without too much of a break.

Whilst he doesn’t work hard enough in defence, I’d have been tempted to pick Arundell tomorrow as a bit of a wildcard option for his pace.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Wales lost to Argentina... FML
Of course they did. They did incredibly well to get out of that group let alone win it. While Argentina didn't have to exert any energy to come second and had a point to prove when they switched off after England had a man sent off.

Wales have a very shallow squad and tournament rugby would always get them in the knock out stages.

England have to find form from a very long time ago to win tomorrow.

The final should be epic though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Crikey this thread is still on page 2…..
Come on England.
Stranger things have happened.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
These penalty's are miistifying for a laymen like me
Really did not see what happened to give the Saffers their last penalty

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports