Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Rugby (Union) World Cup Official Thread

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What has happened to Romania ?
Georgia have won the second tier championship in 13 of the last 15 years. Romania won the other two and have been the bridesmaid on loads of occasions.

I think it's rotten that these nations aren't given an avenue to the top table. As I've said before, I'm not very partisan in Rugby. I probably support Quins much more than England. I love the sport first, and think if the powers that be are serious about the development of the game then they need to stop the closed shop.

The Georgians love rugger. Maybe give one team access each year. I don't know. But for the love of the sport something should be done. Imagine Gerogia getting a game at Twickers. It would be headline news there for weeks. They beat Wales last year. Perhaps we're scared...

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Agreed - I know they want to expand the sport, but it does no favours to anyone to see 90-0 matches - they become glorified training sessions for the top teams.

16 teams is the max needed, the strength in depth is not good enough.

I suppose 5 teams has given the big teams 1 week off over the 5 weeks so far, and at least one week to give players another rest by playing their B team. But it has done nothing keep people watching over the past few weeks. Probably only 3 or 4 "meaningful" games in total so far (and one of those was the opener)

Having said that it will come alive this weekend if Ireland beat the All Blacks and France beat South Africa.
The rugby world cup is trying grow the game and the smaller teams don't get enough games against big teams the rest of the time, taking them out the WC would mean they'd never play them. There has been a few very one sided games but I don't think there's that many, the cricket world cup has less teams and still only one proper contest so far.

Only four teams didn't win a game, and they gave two quarter finalists good games

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I did enjoy this article about the lack of Provence Rose in Marseille for the rugger. She'd have had a fit being on that stairwell for 3 hours.

I like the way the tournament has panned out in a way because at least all 4 Qtr finals should be interesting and all of them could go either way. This does mean the semi's will probably be one sided of course but that's just about better than watching another 4 one sided games after more or less a month of it.
I’m not surprised she didn’t get her glass of wine if she’s try to order it in Spanish 🤦‍♂️

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I'd always expect one upset in the quarter finals, but looking at the match ups there simply can't be any. Every game is around 50/50. However in the spirit of making bold predictions just for the hell of it I'm going for Fiji, Argentina, Ireland and France to make it through to the semis.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
The rugby world cup is trying grow the game and the smaller teams don't get enough games against big teams the rest of the time, taking them out the WC would mean they'd never play them. There has been a few very one sided games but I don't think there's that many, the cricket world cup has less teams and still only one proper contest so far.

Only four teams didn't win a game, and they gave two quarter finalists good games
I understand your point about expanding the game. However, it doesn't help make the competition balanced.

Of course only 4 teams didn't win a game, they were the 5th team in each group! The ones who should not have been there! Namibia - 218 points difference. Romania -255, Chile -188 PD.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
With all the crap being posted on the board perhaps we can get this back on page 1, what with there being two quarter finals later today?
Indeed, exciting times ahead. The business end.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I'd always expect one upset in the quarter finals, but looking at the match ups there simply can't be any. Every game is around 50/50. However in the spirit of making bold predictions just for the hell of it I'm going for Fiji, Argentina, Ireland and France to make it through to the semis.
Hell's bells Rob, that is bold. I'm going for England, Wales, Ireland and South Africa.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Wales, Ireland, France

The other game is tricky Fiji looked brilliant against Wales and Australia, struggled the rest. But the England team looks a bit muddled selection wise so I'm going Fiji

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
How come you rarely hear the term Garryowen nowadays. ?
Did it die with the brilliant Bill Maclaren ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wales, Ireland, England, SA

Can see 4 fairly epic games, any of the 8 could go through in reality and it wouldn't be a shock

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Who is the welsh kit supplier? Surely they must be embarrassed with all the numbers coming off the shirts.
On a more serious note are they risking forfeiting the game if the match officials have to struggle to identify a player when all the numbers have come off?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Getting interesting now 17-12 to to the Taffs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here