Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Rugby (Union) World Cup Official Thread

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It won’t mean anything though really. They’ll both progress . Unless all this, “throw down a marker” means duck all.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Brilliant to see the mutual respect from both sides at the end.
Well done Ireland. Even though they would not say the same about an England win. Sadly.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Cricket do it well 10/12 sides form a league at and just before cup starts and top 4 qualify for final stage
And far more people complain about that format. last week in fact a cricket writer was talking about how much better than Rugby WC format was compared to the 50 over cricket one. I

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Enoyed the Irish win tonight. I guess not many people understand the many fouls that that are given inexplicably
I prefer football despie VAR

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
It won’t mean anything though really. They’ll both progress . Unless all this, “throw down a marker” means duck all.
It probably means a lot more to Ireland than SA. Winning and the belief it gives Ireland that they can win the World Cup and beat anyone. South Africa, I suspect will still believe they can beat France and get to the final.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
It probably means a lot more to Ireland than SA. Winning and the belief it gives Ireland that they can win the World Cup and beat anyone. South Africa, I suspect will still believe they can beat France and get to the final.
Also worth saying that the Ireland support there was phenomenal

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Of course it throws down a marker, it means we have beaten you in a Test Match and will intend to beat you again in the Playoffs.

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
A Penny for poor Scotland tonight…. No chance of going through.
Not that there was as soon as group was pulled….

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That was a bruising encounter Saffers should have won but kicking let them down badly

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They're only inexplicable if you don't know the laws of the game.
True but every year there are changes that take a while to get to grips with. Well they do for me. There were a few penalties given tonight that I didn’t see in real time. Sadly the commentators over talk the refs often and there is a lack of replays quite often.

Scrum penalties often seem a bit random to me, dark arts go on in them and the refs are often on the wrong side to see what really happened.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Brilliant to see the mutual respect from both sides at the end.
Well done Ireland. Even though they would not say the same about an England win. Sadly.
I am going to the Wales v Australia game in Lyon tomorrow. Who do I want to lose more? Walking round the city today absolutely heaving with Welsh fans, and knowing and having experienced how much they detest our teams, I have to say for the first time in my life I think I am going to be supporting the Aussies! I also quite liked Eddie Jones, more than Gatland at least!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I am going to the Wales v Australia game in Lyon tomorrow. Who do I want to lose more? Walking round the city today absolutely heaving with Welsh fans, and knowing and having experienced how much they detest our teams, I have to say for the first time in my life I think I am going to be supporting the Aussies! I also quite liked Eddie Jones, more than Gatland at least!
I'm thinking of Fiji really. I'd love them to qualify. Wales win. Do post pictures like you did with the cricket.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
South Africa lost a group game to New Zealand in 2019 and then went on to lift the trophy. Fancy them to see off France in the next round(if there is unbiased officiating) and beat Ireland in the final.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
South Africa lost a group game to New Zealand in 2019 and then went on to lift the trophy. Fancy them to see off France in the next round(if there is unbiased officiating) and beat Ireland in the final.
Only if they can find a place kicker...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Nice to see this small nation going well against the odds and punching above their weight and making a game of it, still there's a chance Tonga might win anyway.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So how that work then, a footballer has any bleeding he cannot play until there is no blood and he has to have a clean shirt yet a welsh rugby player, who has 1000x more contact with another player than a footballer has, can play despite bleeding still

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here