Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Rugby (Union) World Cup Official Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You're clearly not a coach at a club. We have to deal with parents who are worried about the effects of concussion and whether the game is safe for little Johnny or Jane. The game has massively changed - I remember getting being concussed in a ruck and told to get on with it. The RFU is already facing lawsuits from ex-pros and a decline in playing numbers and is reacting accordingly. I'm a coach AND a ref and we're constantly being exhorted to keep the game safe.
Thanks for the explanation on the red.

I sympathise with your position. A mate of mine has a son who is very good at Rugby. Captained his year group at Richmond and is now at a rugby college with a decent chance of turning pro. The mate in question also played and is no snowflake.

He told me last year that he used his one day off in a week (he works for NHS) to travel 30 miles to see his son play. Turned up and they were warming up so he went to get food. When he came back his son and another lad were sat out with bibs on. They’d slightly clashed heads in a warm up drill and were not only out of the game but out for a mandatory number of weeks. “In my day no one would have noticed” was his take on it.

Nevertheless, red for any head contact seems daft. To this novice / layman it looked unavoidable or even as if the Argentinian player dived at Curry. Contrast with football where head clashes rarely even get a yellow. Different games, I know.

I’m not seeing anyone defending Curry this morning so it’s clearly my duffer take on it,

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire

I posted this under the Marseilles thread. Not sure which place was best, anyway its on both now. This cant happen when we play there.
I’m going tonight so will report back - we are planning to get there very early though

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Northern Monkey so my team was RL (Widnes, where I worked) but they had just nicked a huge amount of Welsh Union talent such as Jonathan Davies so watching their first few games was similar to RU! Mind you after a few 'introductions'to RL, JD started to kick the ball a lot more...

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Northern Monkey so my team was RL (Widnes, where I worked) but they had just nicked a huge amount of Welsh Union talent such as Jonathan Davies so watching their first few games was similar to RU! Mind you after a few 'introductions'to RL, JD started to kick the ball a lot more...
What a player he was, in both codes.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I sympathise with your position. A mate of mine has a son who is very good at Rugby. Captained his year group at Richmond and is now at a rugby college with a decent chance of turning pro. The mate in question also played and is no snowflake.

He told me last year that he used his one day off in a week (he works for NHS) to travel 30 miles to see his son play. Turned up and they were warming up so he went to get food. When he came back his son and another lad were sat out with bibs on. They’d slightly clashed heads in a warm up drill and were not only out of the game but out for a mandatory number of weeks. “In my day no one would have noticed” was his take on it.

Nevertheless, red for any head contact seems daft. To this novice / layman it looked unavoidable or even as if the Argentinian player dived at Curry. Contrast with football where head clashes rarely even get a yellow. Different games, I know.

I’m not seeing anyone defending Curry this morning so it’s clearly my duffer take on it,

This seems overly harsh on the kids if they are out for a time period for a clash of heads if they are showing no side affects days later.

Missing the game seems fair enough as a safety precaution.

On the red card last night it seems to be a split on if it should have been, but most seem to say it was unlucky to have happened.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

It's been a red all of last season's games and possibly the season before.

As an aside I played 88 minutes of Sunday league game and had two pints of Guinness before someone told me I'd been knocked out at the beginning of a game. I'm pretty happy sport is taking these things a little more seriously nowadays

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Always look forward to watching the Brave Blossoms play, this should be a good watch.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
IMG_5452.jpeg
IMG_5452.jpeg
Arrived at the stadium OK - great atmosphere between all the supporters

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Tell me ..do you do the Haka in front of the tv for every game or just when your fav side are playing 😏
I would dream of doing it, hugely disrespectful but I do watch it in awe.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Saffers get away with nothing but a penalty when, based on Curry’s card, it should have been a red.

No consistency and funny how a S Hemisphere TMO gave last nights red yet today a S Hemisphere team get away with it.

Infuriating

Anyway come on you Sweaties!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Brilliant from the Saffers. They’re starting to go through the gears.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Definitely a red card but not given, crap TMO

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here