Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Rugby Union Referees

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Totally in control. Don’t take any shit. Explain their decisions. Don’t you think it’s time for football referee’s in the top flight to get a grip? Mic them up and penalise abusive language directed at them.
Remember David Elleray wired up at Millwall v Arsenal in the late 80s? 😏

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Thought SA tried their luck a few times. France too were questioning decisions.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Firstly, football refs do have authority they just haven't exercised it for years. Look at this season, they were supposed to book people for holding up free kicks or kicking the ball away but that seems to have stopped. As for Rugby refs, they have the discipline mainly because they have the rule that allows them to move free kicks 10 yrds forward if there is any dissent so it is ingrained into players not to show dissent. Football refs had that same rule introduced and yet it was hardly ever imposed.

Rugby refs (and the TMO) are better but I still blame the PGMOL for the fact that football refs don't apply the laws.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Totally in control. Don’t take any shit. Explain their decisions. Don’t you think it’s time for football referee’s in the top flight to get a grip? Mic them up and penalise abusive language directed at them.
No. This is a lazy comparison that I hate.

The games are played at different paces with hugely different consequences for transgressions and the ability to bring a game back maybe 80 yards, two minutes later in the case of rugby.

Football refs are in control 99.9% of the time. They might get decisions wrong but they are running the game. Rugby refs get a lot wrong too and, infamously, their decisions can be overturned not once, but twice, by a committee.

Mind you, I don’t hate that idea nearly as much as your cringey, pseudo-nostalgic “this or that” threads

Reactions: A1X

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight

The games are played at different paces with hugely different consequences for transgressions and the ability to bring a game back maybe 80 yards, two minutes later in the case of rugby.

Football refs are in control 99.9% of the time. They might get decisions wrong but they are running the game. Rugby refs get a lot wrong too and, infamously, their decisions can be overturned not once, but twice, by a committee.
So why is there so much disrespect for football referees. Your argument just doesn’t stack up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
So why is there so much disrespect for football referees. Your argument just doesn’t stack up.
There’s more disrespect in rugby and less in football than is posited in lazy, stereotypical social media posts.

Reactions: A1X

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
A rugby league player earlier this season got a red card and an 8 match ban for swearing at the referee. It genuinely doesn't happen often.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Because rugby players at all ages are taught the referee’s word is final. This was always the way long before a video assistant. Parents, coaches ingrain this, abide by this. I saw this in field hockey too, any lip and kids are withdrawn from the game by their coaches. It’s the entire ethos of these sports.

Football all the way down to kids has a culture of bullying officials, overtly biased mouthy parents, officials are abused. Only clubs/coaches with an iron fist on respect quash it. Winning at all costs is so often everything.

R5 have often held informative phone ins on the subject, with input from football or rugby parents and officials. The most telling comments come from parents who’ve taken their kids to both sports, they report two different worlds.

The reasons? Culture, history, parents/kids desperate to get rich from football?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Mind you, I don’t hate that idea nearly as much as your cringey, pseudo-nostalgic “this or that” threads
Half the time in rugby teams themselves don't know what has happened because there is so much going on in a pile up of players. But there are stiffer penalties for answering back. Also, with VAR, you can hear the conversations going on. I thought the ref got a few things wrong last night in the England game. I felt Curry should have been yellowed early on (failure to wrap) and they were a bit harsh on Habosi as Marcus turned into him. I know most would disagree with me on the latter.

I can vouch however, that the social media boards are full of referee threads. Quins used to have a thing about Wayne Barnes. Whilst there is an absence of coarse language, the feeling that the ref was jolly well short of the required standard is nothing new.

Last edited:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Interesting to see some of the less favoured teams in the rugby world cup suggesting unconscious bias in refereeing works against them despite the greater apparent clarity and accountability.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I wonder what the bookmakers odds are on a Pumas v England final ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Half the time in rugby teams themselves don't know what has happened because there is so much going on in a pile up of players. But there are stiffer penalties for answering back. Also, with VAR, you can hear the conversations going on. I thought the ref got a few things wrong last night in the England game. I felt Curry should have been yellowed early on (failure to wrap) and they were a bit harsh on Habosi as Marcus turned into him. I know most would disagree with me on the latter.

I can vouch however, that the social media boards are full of referee threads. Quins used to have a thing about Wayne Barnes. Whilst there is an absence of coarse language, the feeling that the ref was jolly well short of the required standard is nothing new.
At least with the TMO-assisted decisions everyone (players and fans) know exactly what they’re looking at, exactly why they’re looking at it and the reason for the decision even if (subjectively) they might disagree with it. Add to that the acceptance of it by the players (with no more than a polite enquiry by the captain) and you’re a world away from half a dozen players surrounding the ref and screaming obscenities at him (which filters all the way down to kids football of course).

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

The penalties are there but are they being used? Biggar (as per) was screaming at Dickson on a couple of occasions, it was Van Dijk -esque! His fellow 10 Sexton not far behind. See also Dupont's comments last night.

I second your vouch, the Wales Rugby Online page on FB was remarkable this weekend, Saturday moaning incessantly about Dickson, Sunday about Reynal. I think the ref bashing is actually worse in Rugby as there are more complex laws that many don't understand.

Realise I'm picking on Wales a bit there but they're very very salty this weekend.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I just think players would less les inclined to scream to the ref that he's a "f******* c******* c***" if the conversation was being recorded for everyone in the ground and everyone watching at home to hear.

For one, the ref would have absolutely no choice but to send them off

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
you are to be congratulated for getting so much wrong with so few words.
Really?

Look on Twitter to see how many people are grousing about the English replacement referee in the Wales game or forward passes in the Ireland v AB one. What about the two number 7s fighting each other in the England game, actually swinging at each other and no card. Or the times the ref had to say 'just the captain' across all four quarter finals.

It's not that I'm saying there's uncontrollable disrespect in rugby - I'm saying there's more than most rugby fans accept.

As for football there's been very little surrounding the refs this season and time wasting has either received a yellow card, or the correct time added on, or both (and, yes, it should be both) because referees have at last been protected by the laws.

Again, I'm not saying football is perfect because it's far from that, but it's much more in control than lazy stereotypical posts suggest, and it's far more in control this season than last.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here