Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rugby: is it any good?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I went to see Scotland v Australia at Hampden Park today (the tickets were advertised a while back on TV, and they were pretty cheap at only 15 quid a pop).

I have a passing knowledge of the world of rugby union, and of course cheered Jonny W on as he exerted himself for our great nation in the last world cup.

Today's game was quite watchable as a live sporting spectacle, too: the Aussies won 31-17 but Scotland were a only five points behind until the last six minutes. I think pure physical strength was what won it for them in the end (and the fact that instead of tackling the Scots scrum-half, Wendell Sailor simply picked him up and walked forward a few yards while carrying him).

I went with a couple of mates from work and we had a good day out and a couple of beers, but I'm still not sure whether rugby is actually any good.

Your thoughts please.

It's not bad. We're gonna thrash Newcastle tomorrow - make up for today for me.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I've watched the odd rugby match live. It's alright to watch occassionally but I wouldn't go week in week out like football.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'd rather watch England play rugby than football. Don't ask me why though as I prefer football as a game. ???

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Whilst I'm a Brighton fan as a sport I prefer a decent game of Rugby Union to football. I don't have a team so the only time I watch it and really want one side to win is when England are playing, although I do support whoever is playing Australia or South Africa so last weekend I found myself supporting Ireland and France.

Great game yesterday against South Africa, certainly I care more about the England R.U. team than I do about the football team.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
dougdeep said:
I'd rather watch England play rugby than football. Don't ask me why though as I prefer football as a game. ???

I'd rather watch England play rugby any day, then watch the England football team.
Great game yesterday, it must be said :clap:

Spicy2

Aug 12, 2004
London
I like rugby but like others only watch the England team. Its an exciting game, but I must admit I get confused with rugby union and rugby league, where I think the rules are slightly different aren't they?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Used to play when younger and technically it must now be the game where fitness is of the highest importance.

I enjoy club Rugby and have seen Worcester play as my nephew is a county U15s player. Enjoyed Englands repeated game yesterday - huge win for us.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
yes it quite simply is the best team sport in the world...the rugby experience that is going to a big international is quite simply unbeatable.

football has many lessons it could learn from rugby, but it will never accept them.

to go to a match, sit with opposing supporters, share drinks and very friendly banter is just wonderful.

i support...

local = seaford rfc
national = harlequins
international = england

i support bhafc and was at upton park last weekend, however i just love the big days out at twickers etc

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Withdean and I said:
sit with opposing supporters

There are a few things that football could learn, but I don't think this is one of them. Seggregation of fans creates a much better atmosphere IMHO.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
Withdean and I said:

to go to a match, sit with opposing supporters, share drinks and very friendly banter is just wonderful.

Best bit of a rugby i would say, the fact each set of fans have a greater respect for each other.

I could never see it happening in football (higher league football anyway), which is, not neccessarily a bad thing.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I went to three games at Murrayfield during my time in Edinburgh and have to say that as an occasional fan it was excellent entertainment value. I can't claim to understand all the rules and have never played the game myself but that doesn't detract from the experience, mind you it pays to go with someone who is rugby daft and can explain what is going on. I agree with the bit about the fans having more respect for each other, any violence is limited to action on the pitch, off it the rivalry tends to be restricted to a bit of banter and song singing. The only thing that put me off going more often in Edinburgh was the fact that the local "Rugger Bugger" crowd were a bunch of obnoxious w*****s, so I just stuck with getting my sporting fix at Tynecastle...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
brighton rock said:
game gets better as you understand the rules and the punch up can be good
i watch the quins 4-5 times a year

I love a good sporting punch up, I wish football refs were more tolerant to them, and fighting only meant a yellow card and not an automatic sending off. Why is it that whenever one occurs in football the commentators say stuff like 'no one wants to see that sort of thing', that's rubbish, most of us love it don't we??!

One thing football could definately learn from Rugby is that when a Rugby player goes down injured the physio treats him whilst play continues as normal until coming to a natural stoppage. Nothing annoys me more in football than seeing a team forced to stop a promising looking attack and put the ball out because someone is on the floor. What then usually happens is that the 'injured' player will get straight back up and then his team will hoof the ball all the way back to 'keeper of the team that sportingly put the ball out. I noticed that the Greeks used this as a cynical tactic a lot in their Euro 2004 group games to stop Spain and Portugal counter attacking. I think also if players knew that the game wasn't going to stop because of them being down injured it would prevent a lot of injury feigning play acting.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
In fact one of the most bizarre things I have seen at a sports match (apart from the 5 penalties game at the Palace) was at a rugby match between Scotland and South Africa. Someone dressed as a smurf, with a huge rugby ball, ran onto the pitch from behind the posts, he ran the complete length of the pitch, through the game in progress, to touch down between the posts. He then left the pitch and walked back round the ground along the touchline before being apprehended by stewards on returning to his place in the stands.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
It did occur to me that there was no law preventing 20,000 Scotland and Australia rugby fans sitting together at Hampden yesterday.

However, when Queen's Park play Alloa (or whoever) in the same stadium at football, the 200 or so supporters will, by law, have to sit apart.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here