Royston Drenthe...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Blackburn and Wolves were fancied this time last year. Look what happened to them.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
If Drenthe can be arsed to turn up then he has the ability to cream most Championship full backs. Pace, tricky & an explosive shot. The fact that he has serious attitude & motivation problems may prove once again to be his downfall.

Over to you Royston

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I can see him ending up like Leon Knight, good player, but his attitude will have him end up in the lower leagues.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
He was absolute MUSTARD in the European u-21 Championships a few years back. I presume it was that tournament that got him the move to Real? I remember there being genuine excitement that he was going to be the next big thing in European football.

Despite his attitude problems at Everton, I remember him having a good of storming games. With his head in the game, he would certainly rip this league to pieces.

It was, I remember the Dutch team being very impressive in that tournament. Babel moved to Liverpool as a result of his performances there as well around the same time (not that he reproduced any of what he showed at the Championships during his time in England).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hmm, decent player but I remain unconvinced they will walk the league. I can't see them finishing outside the top 6 though.

I remember a lot of people saying the same thing about Blackburn after they signed Jordan Rhodes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Makes you wonder why they didn't spend any cash in the Premier League.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Looking forward to playing Reading and QPR in the space of 4 days in September. Top of the table clashes!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Makes you wonder why they didn't spend any cash in the Premier League.
Spending big in an effort to turn things round always seems like a crap idea. QPR are obviously the example you look at here - they are now saddled with massively overpaid and unmotivated mercenaries thanks to excessively deep pockets and more crap management from Arry. Mid to lower table for them I think.

Bridge last season was a bit different. He just wanted to play and enjoy his football and was picking up his 90k salary in any case. He is clearly a superb signing for Reading, because he has shown the right attitude in this division only last season. There is no way of sugar coating that one - I wish we'd been able to nab him.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I just hope that we've haven't got too long to wait before we join the "signing club". We are seriously short in a few positions for this season's campaign and this needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I just hope that we've haven't got too long to wait before we join the "signing club". We are seriously short in a few positions for this season's campaign and this needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Oh God, don't get me started worrying about our need for one or two left and centre backs. Worrying about not having a manager is bad enough!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I'm wouldn't be interested, always gets released on Football Manager for his poor temperament

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Spending big in an effort to turn things round always seems like a crap idea. QPR are obviously the example you look at here - they are now saddled with massively overpaid and unmotivated mercenaries thanks to excessively deep pockets and more crap management from Arry. Mid to lower table for them I think.
I meant before the car crash that was their Premier League campaign.

Reading got promoted on the back of less than 20 good games.
Prior to that the same team was an adequate Championship side, with an average manager.

It's the fact they weren't relegated by Christmas is testament to how bad the bottom half of the Premier League is.

Had they spent the money this time last year, they are spending now, they probably wouldn't have got relegated.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Really? He was highly rated at Feyenoord, moved to Real Madrid for £10 million, played 50 odd games for them, was class on loan at Everton the season before last.

Got a bit of a temperament if I remember rightly though.

Those 50 games took him 5 seasons to complete though, hardly a regular.
For those excited folk that think reading are going to walk it, he wouldn't get into our starting eleven ahead of Orlandi or Lua Lua or Buckley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports