Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy's Team vs Costa Rica - will he be tempted?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh and no more Henderson ever please. Watched last night with a Liverpool STH. They call him Jigsaw because he goes to pieces whenever he's near a box.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
On the basis that we're now out and so the planning for Euro 16 starts here will his team look anything like this?

1. Foster
2. G Johnson
3. Shaw
4. P Jones
5. Smalling
6. Wilshere
7. Henderson
8. Oxo
9. Sturridge
10 Barkley
11.Lallana

Good shout, but: WOT NO STERLING, and WOT JOHNSON.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That OP XI was on the basis Sterling has had two matches while Lallana and Oxo have had bugger all. Walker will come back into the frame as right back after the WC and we don't have anyone else apart from Johnson here.

Roy's got the FAs backing for another two years so can pick who he wants with impunity. Therefore he may consider the upside to playing the kids v Costa Rica far outweighs the downside.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Joe Hart up front, Rooney at centre back, Roy to play himself as sweeper. James Milner everywhere else. The other 7 should do some sort of interpretive dance to music.

Monkey rush.

This is the only scenario available that would make me proud to be English.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I'd like to see-
Hart
Johnson
Cahill
Smalling
Shaw
Lampard
Henderson
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Sterling
Rooney
Barkley
After consideration I'm putting Wilshere in for Henderson because he has more of an attacking threat than Henderson.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Would definitely like to see the likes of Barkley and Ox get more game time.

I said before in some thread, playing the youngsters is what we wanted isn't it?

If we put in a good showing against CR then I'll come away from this tournament feeling more positive than 4 years ago.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It's a unique opportunity to play a competitive tournament match but with no more pressure than playing in a friendly. As such I'd definitely like to see us play some more of the younger players who will be around for the euros and next world cup in place of those who won't. So Shaw for Baines, Jones for Jagielka, Wilshere for Gerrard. I'd also look at starting Barclay and Lallana for Welbeck and Rooney and if he's fit, giving some game time to the ox.

-------------------Hart-------------------
Johnson----Jones-----Cahill------Shaw
-----------Wilshere-----Henderson-----
Sterling--------Barclay--------Lallana
-----------------Sturridge---------------

All of that team would be under 30, and 7 of them under 25.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
We're out & they're through. Perfect opportunity to give Shaw a game and get rid of Rooney and Gerrard.

I agree, Gerrard should retire from international football after that performance, he made mistakes with both goals and messed up Liverpool's title ambitions in the space of a month.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
It's a unique opportunity to play a competitive tournament match but with no more pressure than playing in a friendly. As such I'd definitely like to see us play some more of the younger players who will be around for the euros and next world cup in place of those who won't. So Shaw for Baines, Jones for Jagielka, Wilshere for Gerrard. I'd also look at starting Barclay and Lallana for Welbeck and Rooney and if he's fit, giving some game time to the ox.

I'd drop Barclay and put Barkley in.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I would change the midfield 3 provided all are fit to Oxlade Chamberlin Lallana Sterling as not over impressed with Barkley as I dont think he is ready yet.potentially yes now no. I would also give Lampard his swan song instead of Henderson as I think he shoukd have been on against Uraguay for the last 15 mins as should Oxlade

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I would change the midfield 3 provided all are fit to Oxlade Chamberlin Lallana Sterling as not over impressed with Barkley as I dont think he is ready yet.potentially yes now no. I would also give Lampard his swan song instead of Henderson as I think he shoukd have been on against Uraguay for the last 15 mins as should Oxlade

For me, its about giving key experience to the players that should be the backbone of the team over the next few years. Barkley is one of those players. It doesn't matter if he's ready yet...this game is meaningless but is still a world cup tournament game. It's the perfect time for players like Barkley to learn and mature. I'm all for giving the ox some game time but I'm not sure he's fit enough for a whole game.

If you're feeling sentimental Lampard-and Gerrard for that matter-can come on for the last ten minutes. It's an absolute waste of a golden opportunity to start with either of them. Their time is gone.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I just feel as a thank you you for his past efforts Lampard should get a reasonable amount of game time against CR. I cannot see Henderson being one to build around for the future, I sure somebody better will emerge over the next couple of years. So I cannot see any good reason to play him.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Someone may emerge as a better option than Henderson but the Euro qualifiers start pretty soon, I think, so assuming no more Lampard and Gerrard our two most likely starting midfielders are Wilshere and Henderson. The more time they spend together the better.

Fair enough about Lampard, give him more time, but no more than 25 mins.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Based on this World Cup I hope it isnt Henderson as to me is a nothing player just making up the numbers that many Premiership players could do as effectively.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here