Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Royal Mail what next?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Err no !! everything that arrived in the local office had to be scanned so after it was the customer would receive a email txt message to say we have received your item this added a considerable amount of time to starting the delivery. So yes it would/should be delivered that which would prioritized as it is traceable.
The whole point of scanning in is to inform people their item is at the local office.
All TRACKED items are scanned IN. Most 2d barcodes with square box are scanned at door step. Recorded with the Orange labels are NOT tracked. Also you get 24 or 48 on them this is obvious.
This is in England of course .
I am not talking about what currently happens - I am talking about what is capable using present day technology. Every item could be tracked from dispatch to the office of delivery without any delay and any extra work on the workers.

The reason it is not done is so that the business model can generate profits.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I used to be a postie but what you are expected to do now is just ridiculous. My manager was horrible. She would look for a fight every day. Luckily she’s gone to hove now. Horrible woman was Zoe.
OMG Zoe ha ha if its the same Zoe what a nightmare .Know her mate. Luckily she polluted Shoreham. But Ian C is there now.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
She’s at hove now. Never have I detested a person so much as her in the workplace. Vile individual. Anyway, I’ve left now and am in a job I love. If I saw her The Buddhist in me would say just don’t say anything BUT the c*** in me would want to let her have it. Smile and breath 😤

phoenix

May 18, 2009
She’s at hove now. Never have I detested a person so much as her in the workplace. Vile individual. Anyway, I’ve left now and am in a job I love. If I saw her The Buddhist in me would say just don’t say anything BUT the c*** in me would want to let her have it. Smile and breath 😤
Good for you great you are enjoying your new job, she's not worth even thinking about. I've also left. Take care bud :thumbsup:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Err no !! everything that arrived in the local office had to be scanned so after it was the customer would receive a email txt message to say we have received your item this added a considerable amount of time to starting the delivery. So yes it would/should be delivered that which would prioritized as it is traceable.
The whole point of scanning in is to inform people their item is at the local office.
All TRACKED items are scanned IN. Most 3d barcodes with square box are scanned at door step. Recorded with the Orange labels are NOT tracked. Also you get 24 or 48 on them this is obvious.
This is in England of course .
Where i used to work, we'd get the Royal Mail 'signed for' service letters and parcels delivered to us, many of which arrived without being scanned (when you looked up the reference online on their tracking system, it basically said it hadn't been delivered yet and to wait)

We'd also often get 'signed for' items which were delivered to us in error and actually meant for other nearby businesses, and again they weren't scanned either, so no proof where it ended up for the sender or intended recipient.
Therefore i seriously doubt your idea would work in the way you think it will if those items were only being scanned at the depot prior to delivery. All it will do is add to the bureaucracy and to the cost (time and financial) without any real tangible benefit

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Where i used to work, we'd get the Royal Mail 'signed for' service letters and parcels delivered to us, many of which arrived without being scanned (when you looked up the reference online on their tracking system, it basically said it hadn't been delivered yet and to wait)

We'd also often get 'signed for' items which were delivered to us in error and actually meant for other nearby businesses, and again they weren't scanned either, so no proof where it ended up for the sender or intended recipient.
Therefore i seriously doubt your idea would work in the way you think it will if those items were only being scanned at the depot prior to delivery. All it will do is add to the bureaucracy and to the cost (time and financial) without any real tangible benefit
Except that when they scan them as delivered which they have to do it leaves a GPS footprint so they know where its been allegedly delivered. If its not scanned they need to be informed so a quiet word can be had with the person who should be scanning.The post person has their own login for each PDA (handheld device)they use so they know exactly who should have delivered.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
o_O Its NOT my idea its what they do. We scan them in they arrive in separate yorks. And are scanned one at a time and sorted into packet bags as a priority .

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023

I presume you are on a business park ? A regular postie would know who they are delivering to but one that is not regular May misdeliver. It’s no excuse. BUT items get signed for and scanned by the postie as they are in such a rush to finish the round in time. If they don’t finish in time and bring post back the manager will often speak to them (as it’s ruined their figures) or if you go over your contracted hours you may have to struggle again with management to be paid for this. It’s nuts.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Except that when they scan them as delivered which they have to do it leaves a GPS footprint so they know where its been allegedly delivered. If its not scanned they need to be informed so a quiet word can be had with the person who should be scanning.The post person has their own login for each PDA (handheld device)they use so they know exactly who should have delivered.
Signed for are meant to be scanned as they are delivered, but when you get some of them delivered to the business and they are actually addressed to businesses at the other end of the country, (for example, one for an addres in York, not Sussex, which is where most the mis-delivered items for us were meant for) something is seriously going wrong with the system (we even had wrongly delivered Special delivery items arrive, which were fully tracked throughout but there will always be mistakes made, so to then try to have a system that scans every letter and only tracks it as far as the depot will not show where a mis-delivered item ended up. If it isn't foolproof, and most items are currently being delivered correctly, is it really worth the time and expense to impliment and use?

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Signed for are meant to be scanned as they are delivered, but when you get some of them delivered to the business and they are actually addressed to businesses at the other end of the country, (for example, one for an addres in York, not Sussex, which is where most the mis-delivered items for us were meant for) something is seriously going wrong with the system (we even had wrongly delivered Special delivery items arrive, which were fully tracked throughout but there will always be mistakes made, so to then try to have a system that scans every letter and only tracks it as far as the depot will not show where a mis-delivered item ended up. If it isn't foolproof, and most items are currently being delivered correctly, is it really worth the time and expense to impliment and use?
Mistakes can happen i'm afraid. I'm not a f***ing spokesperson for R/M just trying to help by explaining how the system works.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here