Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Royal Mail household delivery service.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I really can't see the problem with RM going to 2/3 days a week deliveries. Is there really any possible justification for sending a person to every address in the UK every day in 2024 with the amount of actual mail and so many ways to get things delivered urgently :shrug:
I thought that as well. Do we really need a 6 day a week delivery service? Who sends letters anymore?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I for one could not do without a letterbox crammed with vital information on takeaways, window blinds, spectacles, organic dog foods and window cleaners/gutter cleaners on a daily basis.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I thought that as well. Do we really need a 6 day a week delivery service? Who sends letters anymore?

@The Clamp's Gran, have you not been reading the thread :lolol:

Hard to tell what the service is like round my way as, I’m sure as most people these days, the vast majority of stuff that would have come through snail mail now comes online.
Only stuff I have specifically requested, letters from my gran. and the odd poll card comes through the letterbox these days.

Nothing I’m expecting seems to be delayed.
But I don't think anyone has given a reason for daily deliveries :shrug:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I really can't see the problem with RM going to 2/3 days a week deliveries. Is there really any possible justification for sending a person to every address in the UK every day in 2024 with the amount of actual mail and so many ways to get things delivered urgently :shrug:
It's probably one of those things that one will see very differently depending on where you live. For me, where the postman turns up in a van, if they're still going to offer next day delivery services, they're going to be doing exactly the same journey. Surely, even on a typical suburban street, there's still going to be plenty of items that have to be delivered on a certain day.

Of course, if they do move to 3 days that senders will use other providers and Royal Mail disappears and we end up paying more for a sub standard service as those providers race to bottom (and Evri wins). Weyhey privatisation works yet again.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Struggling to think of anything that gets delivered by Royal Mail ‘normal’ post that I actually want…apart from, er, away tickets. Postie seems to be employed mostly to do leaflet drops.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's probably one of those things that one will see very differently depending on where you live. For me, where the postman turns up in a van, if they're still going to offer next day delivery services, they're going to be doing exactly the same journey. Surely, even on a typical suburban street, there's still going to be plenty of items that have to be delivered on a certain day.

Of course, if they do move to 3 days that senders will use other providers and Royal Mail disappears and we end up paying more for a sub standard service as those providers race to bottom (and Evri wins). Weyhey privatisation works yet again.
I’m not sure this has anything to do with privatisation. We don’t need a private post office either.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

But do people see it differently ? Does anyone really get enough mail to justify more than 2/3 deliveries a week ? And from the moment it was privatised, of course it has to be run for profit for the shareholders, just like all the other privatised infrastructure like electricity, gas, water, trains, buses, etc :shrug:

They're not services after all, they are businesses owned and run by shareholders.

It's fairly obvious that the RM are struggling with this now, can't recruit the staff to address it (let's not even go there !) and the situation isn't going to get any better. Maybe double or triple the price of postage in order to fund daily deliveries ? After all, who would buy shares in a business making losses.

I may do a poll :wink:

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Nowt to do with privatisation, more technology (paper-free) and saving the planet

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
But do people see it differently ? Does anyone really get enough mail to justify more than 2/3 deliveries a week ? And from the moment it was privatised, of course it has to be run for profit for the shareholders, just like all the other privatised infrastructure like electricity, gas, water, trains, buses, etc :shrug:

It's fairly obvious that the RM are struggling with this now, can't recruit the staff to address it (let's not even go there !) and the situation isn't going to get any better. Maybe double or triple the price of postage in order to fund daily deliveries ? After all, who would buy shares in a business making losses.

I may do a poll :wink:
I see it differently! You see my point though? If they're going to continue to offer all the services they have to then I don't see where the saving is coming from - An example, I've just ordered from Amazon (133ft of 8mm hemp rope since you ask) that will be delievered by royal mail tomorrow. If Thursday isn't my postal delivery day, the postie will be doing the journey anyway so where's the save. Obv I could be missing something here.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I see it differently! You see my point though? If they're going to continue to offer all the services they have to then I don't see where the saving is coming from - An example, I've just ordered from Amazon (133ft of 8mm hemp rope since you ask) that will be delievered by royal mail tomorrow. If Thursday isn't my postal delivery day, the postie will be doing the journey anyway so where's the save. Obv I could be missing something here.
Won’t that be parcel delivery rather than the postie ? If you’re remote I know they can be the same, but for the majority parcels by van are separate from normal mail ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Then in future the Amazon criteria will surely be, delivery on your next delivery day. If you're so desperate to have the item within 24 hours, then pay the premium for a courier service.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

The save is when the postie only has to do that journey once every three days. That's how to employ less people (which if you're struggling to get staff is a way to circumvent the problem) and get more profit out of the fewer people that you do employ.

Otherwise you would have to use taxpayers money to subsidise shareholder profits on companies that the Government privatise and that would NEVER happen ???

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Now if ever there was an absolute slam/dunk for a Conservative Prime Minister, it would be cutting a recently privatised industries commitments to levels of service for the benefit of it's newly acquired shareholders. It's the absolute definition of the current cabal's whole purpose.

But he is running so scared of the extremes of his own ministers that

Rishi Sunak vows Royal Mail services WON'T change despite Ofcom's suggestion to slash deliveries from six days a week to just three​

From the Daily Mail https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...change-Ofcom-slash-deliveries-three-days.html

How the f*** did Britain manage to get to this level of idiocy ? (I have a couple of suggestions :shootself)

Can anybody really claim that we haven't got exactly exactly what we deserve as a Government :lolol:

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Now if ever there was an absolute slam/dunk for a Conservative Prime Minister, it would be cutting a recently privatised industries commitments to levels of service for the benefit of it's shareholders. It's the absolute definition of the current cabal's aims.

But he is running so scared of the extremes of this Government party that

Rishi Sunak vows Royal Mail services WON'T change despite Ofcom's suggestion to slash deliveries from six days a week to just three​

From the Daily Mail https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...change-Ofcom-slash-deliveries-three-days.html

How the f*** did Britain manage to get to this level of idiocy ? (I have a couple of suggestions :shootself)

Can anybody really claim that we haven't got exactly what we deserve as a country :lolol:
I'm sorry, I refuse to read the Daily Mail.

What does the article say?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm sorry, I refuse to read the Daily Mail.

What does the article say?
Well you could tell us why you continue to support this current cabal ?

Or you could continue with your 'witty' snipes at anyone who calls them out, which are always so popular on NSC .

It's your call, as always :wink:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I still like a bit of post. In particular, there’s so much on-line fraud that I like to have my key providers (eg financial) to confirm certain things in writing eg change of password, address etc

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Royal Mail won’t deliver 3 days a week , it’ll be an alternate day service where the postie does round A on Monday, Wednesday and Friday then round B Tuesday , Thursday and Saturday. You’ll get a delivery 3 days a week but there are still deliveries for 6 . A massive saving for RM in staff costs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here