Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Royal London One-Day Cup, Group B: Surrey v Sussex at The Oval

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Keep going lads. Great to see Hatchett and Liddle going at less than 10 an over.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Churchy hits nail on head in identifying the toss as being crucial for lucky Sussex

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It is comforting to see Sussex win again. This should be a tournament they are capable of making progress in.

I'm not sure how others are feeling, but I think the competition formats are right now. Although I suspect four day cricket will come under renewed attack at the next review.

Cricket supporters on this board take note. I was told by a reliable source (Yes, I know) that the campaign to reduce the number of counties and introduce a franchise structure is expected to be on the agenda in three years time. Such a day would be very sad indeed.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Cricket supporters on this board take note. I was told by a reliable source (Yes, I know) that the campaign to reduce the number of counties and introduce a franchise structure is expected to be on the agenda in three years time. Such a day would be very sad indeed.

I really don't see how that is going to help. I know that people point to the Sheffield Shield as an example of a competitive tournament but that's because Australia is divided into six states and that format works. Bunching together an arbitrary set of counties together would make little sense.

India does it around population centres but I don't see how that would work either: our big cities are either in the same county (Liverpool and Manchester or Leeds and Sheffield) or have no historical attachment to cricket (Newcastle or Sunderland). The suggestion I saw the other day had Middlesex and Surrey remaining separate so we wouldn't even see our biggest city having a team.

The two main problems are the cost of going, which has rocketed in recent years, and the time it's on. I'd go to a lot more CC games but they're not on Saturdays and not in the evenings. I was going to take a day off this August and take my boy to a game but there's not a single CC game in Hove in the school holidays - totally barking scheduling.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was going to take a day off this August and take my boy to a game but there's not a single CC game in Hove in the school holidays - totally barking scheduling.

This is insane, and really terribly sad.

It seems looking back, like I spent almost entire summers at the ground, getting autographs, playing on the outfield in the intervals, occassionally bowling to the next batsman in the old outdoor nets, eating, and every so often watching a bit of the cricket :(

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is insane, and really terribly sad.

It seems looking back, like I spent almost entire summers at the ground, getting autographs, playing on the outfield in the intervals, occassionally bowling to the next batsman in the old outdoor nets, eating, and every so often watching a bit of the cricket :(

Same here. My first travelling on my own was to the cricket and it used up the summer holidays: I set off at 10.00 with my rolls for the day in my bag and my mum would see me back home at 7.00. No hanging round the house saying "I'm bored".
And cricket was great: hanging out with your mates, playing bin cricket, watching Sussex get hammered. I'm sad that my son will never know those days

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I really don't see how that is going to help. I know that people point to the Sheffield Shield as an example of a competitive tournament but that's because Australia is divided into six states and that format works. Bunching together an arbitrary set of counties together would make little sense.

India does it around population centres but I don't see how that would work either: our big cities are either in the same county (Liverpool and Manchester or Leeds and Sheffield) or have no historical attachment to cricket (Newcastle or Sunderland). The suggestion I saw the other day had Middlesex and Surrey remaining separate so we wouldn't even see our biggest city having a team.

The two main problems are the cost of going, which has rocketed in recent years, and the time it's on. I'd go to a lot more CC games but they're not on Saturdays and not in the evenings. I was going to take a day off this August and take my boy to a game but there's not a single CC game in Hove in the school holidays - totally barking scheduling.

Agree re the scheduling - not having CC games in in the school holidays is plain stupid. My lad and his pals would often go down on the train for the day, definitely helped their interest in cricket as the players are usually happy to sign autographs, the kids can muck about on the pitch at lunch and tea etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here