• NO

Votes: 129 49.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Surely, without the royals the whole changing of the guard malarky wouldn't have happened in the first place?

Even if we turned Buck House into a museum - which it is for 3 months a year - then that's not going to boost tourism.

Where are all these stats about Paris coming from?

Also, Paris didn't get rid of the Monarch, the middle classes did for their own nefarious reasons, not to help the working class. Then they got an Emperor and look where that got them!

Doesn’t matter. Moving forward all the pomp and ceremony can continue on regardless if it attracts so many tourists. The point is we don’t need an unelected HOS with all the benefits they get to continue our history and culture. People visit Buck Palace knowing the Queen isn’t in attendance. The watch the changing of the Guard knowing she isn’t witnessing it herself. It can continue as it does.

These things may not boost tourism but they certainly won’t impact the numbers. As for generating money I think the Paris example stacks up.

Paris got more visitors than London in 2018 and 2019. It might not be triple though!

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I’d also like to paint this pretty interesting scenario…………..imagine this.

Shortly after his coronation Little Prince George turns out to be a narcissist who is intent on building walls, attacking foreign lands and locking up children in cages. He treats women like second class citizens and is openly racist.

He is in his position of HOS purely through the biological lottery.

What’s most interesting about this is:

He wouldn’t hold any power so can’t put any devilish ideas into practise. However, it does open up the question of what the actual point is of an undemocratically elected HOS if they hold not real power and are purely ceremonial..

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There are lots of traditions dating back hundreds of years that the military observe that serve no purpose. Changing of the guard as a symbolic act of our history could still take place. And only a small part of Buckingham Palace is open for 3 months.

7 million people visit Versailles per year. The most visited museum in the world is the Lourve which gets over 10 million.

Buckingham Palace, under a million per year. The royal residences together including Windsor Castle get under 3m per year in total.

Fair enough. I didn't know anything about visitor stats and couldn't be bothered to type into google to find out.

Well we don't want bloody foreigners here anyway, so let's keep the royals then. :)

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Shortly after his coronation Little Prince George turns out to be a narcissist who is intent on building walls, attacking foreign lands and locking up children in cages. He treats women like second class citizens and is openly racist.

He wouldn’t hold any power so can’t put any devilish ideas into practise. However, it does open up the question of what the actual point is of an undemocratically elected HOS if they hold not real power and are purely ceremonial..

I think you've answered your own question.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Doesn’t matter. Moving forward all the pomp and ceremony can continue on regardless if it attracts so many tourists. The point is we don’t need an unelected HOS with all the benefits they get to continue our history and culture. People visit Buck Palace knowing the Queen isn’t in attendance. The watch the changing of the Guard knowing she isn’t witnessing it herself. It can continue as it does.

These things may not boost tourism but they certainly won’t impact the numbers. As for generating money I think the Paris example stacks up.

Paris got more visitors than London in 2018 and 2019. It might not be triple though!

You're right, it wasn't triple, and it's a close fight that London has won more often than Paris - from the look at one site.

https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...rism-brexit-global-cities-index-a9091791.html

What is interesting is that most visitors to France (not Paris) come from, you guessed it, the UK.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Which heads of state are undemocratically elected?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Once Elizabeth II has passed and finished her fine reign as our Monarch, should she be the last of this country's Royals? It would certainly be ending on a high note.

We then look to reforming the House of Lords, and an elected ceremonial President along with an elected 2nd house. Prime Minister and the commons to remain unchanged. Royal property to be given over to the state, National Trust, English Heritage etc.

We could change our name, too, to the United States of Britain.

I did vote that it is time to finish it....but it is moot what to put in it's place. I like the unelected second chamber. And I'd rather have a pared down royal family with ceremonial responsibility than a president like the yanks.

Maybe a solution would be to have a ceremonial elected president, like in Hitch Hiker's guide to the Galaxy. No actual power. Just handing out awards and opening things. We could have a new one every year. Richard Branson would stand. I'm sure Grace Jones would do a cracking job, too.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yes

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
You only have to see the attraction of the royals abroad to see they are a benefit overall in terms of income and standing in the world.

However, do we need Harry, Zara, Andrew, Edward, etc..?. Nope. Keep the Queen, Heir, Heir & Family. Ie Queen & Phillip, Charles & Camilla, William, Kate and Kids - when William becomes a granddad, his other children get cut lose to fend for themselves (assuming they are over 18). Maintain the direct lineage with homes, estates, income, etc, the rest have to survive with appropriate levels of royal protection only.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I did vote that it is time to finish it....but it is moot what to put in it's place. I like the unelected second chamber. And I'd rather have a pared down royal family with ceremonial responsibility than a president like the yanks.

Maybe a solution would be to have a ceremonial elected president, like in Hitch Hiker's guide to the Galaxy. No actual power. Just handing out awards and opening things. We could have a new one every year. Richard Branson would stand. I'm sure Grace Jones would do a cracking job, too.

Amazing argument from Royalists that the alternative is the US. :shrug:

I don't get why if you abolish royalty you need to change our Parliament or present democracy? Why do you even need a ceremonial role? Just do away with it, PM is still the PM. Great Britain is still Great Britain. People need to stop getting their knickers in a twist that everything has to change if we got rid of the Royals.

Let us not forget, one of the crowning moments of our democracy was the decapitation of a king.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
As for an Upper House. They should be appointed on Long Term Appointments from Science, Education, Arts and Industry. Create 100 or so positions and up to that industry themselves to appoint their Rep. Remove politicians (and their short term views) from the equation completely. Create a House of experienced, educated experts in a wide variety of fields each looking to stay in their post for up to 15 years (allow them to be recalled if not working hard enough for their industry).

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Brexit leads to break up of the UK, Queens passes away, Commonwealth disbands, countries like Australia and Canada become republics, things are only sailing in one direction.

Today its a YES to keep them, tomorrow things are likely to be different

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

I think that's essentially what Republic advocate for. An apolitical office where basically anyone, if they got the votes, could be President or whatever for a year.

I say 'apolitical'. It would definitely end up being political. And because of that it would likely be a massive shit show.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Amazing argument from Royalists that the alternative is the US. :shrug:

I don't get why if you abolish royalty you need to change our Parliament or present democracy? Why do you even need a ceremonial role? Just do away with it, PM is still the PM. Great Britain is still Great Britain. People need to stop getting their knickers in a twist that everything has to change if we got rid of the Royals.

Let us not forget, one of the crowning moments of our democracy was the decapitation of a king.

I said I voted to rid.....

And I made some suggestions about what to put in it's place.

My 'amazing' comment was a facetious take on your proposal - apologies if I missread it - elected second chamber and elected president, I thought, was what you advocated :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think that's essentially what Republic advocate for. An apolitical office where basically anyone, if they got the votes, could be President or whatever for a year.

I say 'apolitical'. It would definitely end up being political. And because of that it would likely be a massive shit show.

Thanks for that. Does that mean I'm a republican? ??? :wink:

Not sure any genuine politician would want to stand. Farrage, maybe. Oh, but I said genuine politician.....

Simple solution - candidacy open to any UK citizen who is not a present or former elected politician :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here