Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Royal Blood ... Banging the drum.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Mike's tongue is permanently in his cheek when on stage - clearly in a shit mood that day and it came out badly. He didn't call the crowd pathetic (as has been misquoted by BBC and other outlets) - it's not unusual for band to ask for a response and then give a "is that all you got?' - encouraging a greater response. However, as I said he didn't seem in the right frame of mind so it came out completely wrong.

Re: poshness, neither of them are posh or "from money" at all. I think Mike affects a bit of a voice sometimes onstage, a la Alex Turner.

My understanding is he's doing an interview with Greg James at some point soon.
Not sure about that:

"We're having to clap ourselves because that was so pathetic. Well done Ben"

"Can you [directed at cameraman] clap? Even he's clapping – what does that say about you [addresses audience]?"

I would understand if his 'banter' was met with silence, but it wasn't. And, if the crowd isn't with you as much as you would like, surely it's the job of the performer(s) to get them onside?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not sure about that:

"We're having to clap ourselves because that was so pathetic. Well done Ben"

"Can you [directed at cameraman] clap? Even he's clapping – what does that say about you [addresses audience]?"

I would understand if his 'banter' was met with silence, but it wasn't. And, if the crowd isn't with you as much as you would like, surely it's the job of the performer(s) to get them onside?
Again - clearly wasn’t well delivered or judged, but he was saying the response to the drum solo was pathetic. He never said the crowd was pathetic but that is exactly how it has been mis-reported.

Again you will often get bands saying something like that with the intent to draw a bigger reaction - the way he delivered it was the problem.

And yeah. Definitely misjudged that last bit. He is from the Alex Turner school usually though of basically never being serious - seen their humour fly over American interviewers heads many, many times.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Again - clearly wasn’t well delivered or judged, but he was saying the response to the drum solo was pathetic. He never said the crowd was pathetic but that is exactly how it has been mis-reported.

Again you will often get bands saying something like that with the intent to draw a bigger reaction - the way he delivered it was the problem.

And yeah. Definitely misjudged that last bit. He is from the Alex Turner school usually though of basically never being serious - seen their humour fly over American interviewers heads many, many times.
If the crowd was responding (or not) to the drum solo, he's calling the crowd pathetic, no? No mis-reporting there, I've seen the video!

If he wasn't happy with it – or his ego needed it – why not say something like 'Surely you can do better than that?' and the crowd might/would respond accordingly?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If the crowd was responding (or not) to the drum solo, he's calling the crowd pathetic, no? No mis-reporting there, I've seen the video!

If he wasn't happy with it – or his ego needed it – why not say something like 'Surely you can do better than that?' and the crowd might/would respond accordingly?
You’re right, he could’ve worded it better.

Perhaps it’s just semantics but he referred to their specific reaction to a certain moment as pathetic, not the crowd itself as a general whole. I think there’s a big difference.

Eg - me to my son;

“That throw was pathetic”
vs
“You are pathetic”

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No such thing as bad publicity. Having a strop while playing at a big gig probably won't hurt too much.

There was a time the world found this sort of thing funny. Now we tut over our lattes and clutch our pearls on social media.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh well if the band goes tits up he could always take up modeling :)
I read your post, looked at the picture below too quickly, and though "As long as he doesn't end up marrying Paul McCartney."

1685876277147.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He was going to train as a chef, so .... if he did marry Paul McCartney they could open a cafe on Hove seafront .... maybe?
Anything is possible when you're footloose and fancy free.

That's enough feeble Heather Mills jokes. I'm off for a lovely cycle :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here