Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Royal Astro Society to announce Phosphine gas discovered on Venus - possible life?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You just immediately know the first thing we’d do on arrival is start killing life off. May we never ‘get’ there. For ‘their’ sakes.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Yeah, a tad sad really when there is more chance of life on Venus than us signing a striker....

Brighton and Hove Albion are set to announce to signing of Venus United striker Terestrial Marshan for a fee 30 Million Tokkens

He will arrive by Space Ship this coming Friday

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You just immediately know the first thing we’d do on arrival is start killing life off. May we never ‘get’ there. For ‘their’ sakes.

I bet Farage is getting his telescope ready to keep an eye on those alien lifeforms invading our country.

farage 2.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
... as far as we know. As with everything.

One of the most commonly used arguments against aliens visiting us or living in our solar system is that "it would be technologically impossible" or "life cant exist without X". This argument is obviously based on the belief that human knowledge / science is near flawless and that there's very little chance of anything in the universe being technologically or scientifically more advanced.

However, I always call that bullshit. So even though I think there's life out there somewhere, I'll have to be fair and say it goes both ways: maybe there is a chance this gas can be created without life, we just dont understand how.

That said, very exciting of course. I hope it is cats and women.

No it isn't. It is based on probabilities and physics.

First, only two atoms have sufficient versatility to be the building blocks of life in theory: carbon and silicon. In practice there are no silicon based life forms on this planet, but billions of carbon based life-forms, including (if they qualify as life) viruses.

The ability to withstand heat and pressure, however, preclude carbon as a critical element outside the temperature range encountered on earth, and pressure ranges much beyond.

So what do I not know about?

Oh, expert on radio now says phosphene is 'mostly' created by life. A bit like farts. Apparently volcanic activity....

you can all go back to sleep now, or your Outer Limits video, before the football starts.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
No it isn't. It is based on probabilities and physics.

First, only two atoms have sufficient versatility to be the building blocks of life in theory: carbon and silicon. In practice there are no silicon based life forms on this planet, but billions of carbon based life-forms, including (if they qualify as life) viruses.

The ability to withstand heat and pressure, however, preclude carbon as a critical element outside the temperature range encountered on earth, and pressure ranges much beyond.

So what do I not know about?

Oh, expert on radio now says phosphene is 'mostly' created by life. A bit like farts. Apparently volcanic activity....

you can all go back to sleep now, or your Outer Limits video, before the football starts.

Sounds about right. I watched the presentation and was left thinking "Oh so what they've actually discovered is that there is probably a way phosphine can be created that we haven't identified yet" rather than "oooh, it must be life." Not as sexy an explanation perhaps (but sexier than the woman doing the presentation).

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Incidentally. The team that ran the soil analysis on Mars (Viking missions) found methane being produced in their samples at rates only found by microbial activity. They wanted to announce definitive proof of life but were silenced by NASA who claimed contaminants from earth were responsible.

I’ve heard. The female microbiologist talking about it and read the scientist who led that element of the experiments vehemently defending their work.

Oddly, despite the many probes and vehicles we’ve sent since NASA never repeated this test.

It’s very interesting stuff if you like this sort of thing. You’ll have to look for yourselves because I can’t be arsed searching the net on my tiny phone.

Edit. It was the labelled release experiment. It’s in scientific American.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=13230]Psychobilly freakout[/MENTION] on fire.
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
... as far as we know. As with everything.

One of the most commonly used arguments against aliens visiting us or living in our solar system is that "it would be technologically impossible" or "life cant exist without X". This argument is obviously based on the belief that human knowledge / science is near flawless and that there's very little chance of anything in the universe being technologically or scientifically more advanced.

However, I always call that bullshit. So even though I think there's life out there somewhere, I'll have to be fair and say it goes both ways: maybe there is a chance this gas can be created without life, we just dont understand how.

That said, very exciting of course. I hope it is cats and women.

This. I was a total non believer in UFOs and all that until the USS Carrier strike group encounters in 2004 and USS Abraham Lincoln encounters in 2015 and the FLIR and TV footage shot from FA18s and FA20 fast attack jets...not to mention the pilots involved coming forward to add provenance and further commentary to the very disturbing flight characteristics of the things they observed and engaged which, in short, outperformed the fastest military hardware the Americans have and made our planes look like the stuff of children.

David Fravor (the officer in charge of the Nimitz FA18s) gives a hugely interesting account on Rogan and elsewhere and describes chasing something that could zip around the sky at incredible speeds, stop dead, then move off and over his nose one at (he estimates) 12,000mph judging by the time to horizon then reappear 60 miles away at a secret rendezvous point known only to the pilots and flight controllers.

Multiple observers over several days saw them drop from low orbit to sea level at speeds that would squash a human pilot with G forces you couldn’t imagine, hang around for hours then back up to the ceiling of radar cover and above at the same phenomenal speed.

The Lincoln pilots describe being buzzed by things that looked like “beach balls inside a transparent box” as well as formations of wingless 40 foot long white “tic tacs” emitting no heat signature accompanying large hat shaped vehicles that were not in any way aero dynamic and ,again, could stop on a dime and then accelerate off at massive speed. The videos they took only show a tiny fraction of what they saw. But as far as I’m concerned show things that can move at will through militarily sensitive airspace cannot be tracked affectively, defy known physics and are NOT ours or anyone else on earths.

How do I know they’re not ours? Because if anyone had that technology they would rule the world unopposed.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Just an observation. Perhaps the discovery of an intriguing, life mimicking, phenomenon in the atmosphere of a near earth planet isn’t the sort of thing to announce on NSC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here