Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Royal Albion hotel on fire, again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They seem to be a lot more comfortable with rebuilding something that looks exactly the same in Europe. A lot of town and city centres that look historic have actually been flattened and rebuilt.
This building in Berlin is a total joke (although I'm sure some people think it's lovely):
Generally, in Berlin at least, it's a mixed bag of complete rebuilt in the old style or new. I'm not sure of the thinking behind the palace you highlight but I did not agree with it. For example the Bundestag had the cupola rebuilt by Sir Norman Foster in a modern style.

Another really good example is Gehard Richter's stained glass window in the Koln Dom. His reasoning for the modern approach is interesting.

1689674089398.png

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Generally, in Berlin at least, it's a mixed bag of complete rebuilt in the old style or new. I'm not sure of the thinking behind the palace you highlight but I did not agree with it. For example the Bundestag had the cupola rebuilt by Sir Norman Foster in a modern style.

Another really good example is Gehard Richter's stained glass window in the Koln Dom. His reasoning for the modern approach is interesting.

View attachment 163721
I really like what they've done with the Bundestag, aesthetically at least.
I've worked in enough modern office buildings with dodgy air conditioning to be suspicious of anything with a glass exterior.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Any hotel over 11 metres high must have sprinklers by law. So I’d guess yes.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Being partially demolished today so I guess that the cause of the fire will not be able to be properly investigated
If it started on the fourth floor, I doubt demolition will make all that much difference to the investigation. The fourth floor is already on the ground along with the roof and all the other floors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here