Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Roy Wood a musical genius?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not really, Jeff Lynne only joined The Move on the condition he could work on another project which ended up being ELO.
Roy Wood worked on only the first two ELO albums actually leaving during recording the second.
Most of ELO's success was Jeff Lynne's work.

Quite.

If he's a genius then there are hundreds of thousands of them. Nice bloke notwithstanding. Last three releases, 79, 87, 2000. If he's a genius he's a lazy genius.

It's a 'not remotely close unless you're a MOR man' for me :shrug:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes he is a musical genius, and as a couple have already mentioned, an extremely modest and nice bloke to boot.

And when Lemmy was with Hawkwind and wrote the song Motorhead, he did it on a guitar he borrowed from Roy Wood

What more proof is needed :bowdown:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Quite.

If he's a genius then there are hundreds of thousands of them. Nice bloke notwithstanding. Last three releases, 79, 87, 2000. If he's a genius he's a lazy genius.

It's a 'not remotely close unless you're a MOR man' for me :shrug:

I knew you wouldn’t let me down when you arrived on this thread. Years ago when I was into cult music and prog rock I was called a music snob by a mate, when I dissed the Frampton comes alive album (which I love these days) I wish he could have met you :lolol: He’s dead now though :down:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Took Mrs H up to Leonardslee Gardens on Sunday and coming back was listening to Johnny Walker's Sound of the 70's on Radio 2.

Played Angel Fingers by Wizzard, a number one, when it meant something, from 1973.

Walker described him as a genius on a par with Phil Spector, musically that is not personally, but is the term genius bandied around far too often?

Yes, yes it is. Obviously. Term seems to get pretty sloppily dished out nowadays, just because it was a long time ago

Last edited:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Roy Wood's brother was head of music at Oakmeeds in Burgess hill for many years.
Retired about five years ago.
Genius ran in that family

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I knew you wouldn’t let me down when you arrived on this thread. Years ago when I was into cult music and prog rock I was called a music snob by a mate, when I dissed the Frampton comes alive album (which I love these days) I wish he could have met you :lolol: He’s dead now though :down:

Hey, don't get me wrong. I love a bit of Frampton, Madonna, Four Tops, Heaven 17, Boy George, Cher, Slade, Sade, Hot Chocolate, and other poptastic loveliness. But 'musical genius' is not a necessary criterion for enjoyment. I do see some artists as geniuses, but it is largely personal, and if I don't like them, the are not geniuses. For me, if I want to walk the snob walk then impact, longevity, lack of 'difficult third album' syndrome, trajectory essentially upwards till senility and circumstances take hold are necessary criteria for that accolade.... Brian Wilson, Hendrix, Mahavishnu, Zappa, Bowie, Van the Man, Øfdream, Fraunhofer Diffraction, Edward Ka Spel, Peter Hammill, Ivor Cutler....and many others...but my favourite music isn't necessarily in the genius category. VNV nation, Comsat Angels, Moev, VSN7, FUNΞRΔL ‡ FLØWΞRS, BLVCK CVRNVGE, love the bollocks of them, but not geniuses.

Roy Wood, though.....nah. No. Sorry. See my baby jive?

But someone you like hugely, certainly. And that's the only thing that matters really :thumbsup:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Roy Wood's brother was head of music at Oakmeeds in Burgess hill for many years.
Retired about five years ago.
Genius ran in that family

I always thought that was an urban myth. I know Mike but have always been too shy to ask if it was true.

I love all of Roy Wood’s music, but never saw him live. On the other hand, I have seen Mike perform on many occasions with the fantastic Wilbury Jam!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Okay, just spent a happy hour, gardening and listening to the Roy Wood Singles album full blast, and can confirm he's a genius. And absolutely mad. I can't imagine anything better than being 15 and hearing "See My Baby Jive" on Radio 1 for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEvpgqiOIhc

It was pretty special to this 11 year old glam rock freak (in 1973), too.

Still one of my favourite songs. I also prefer I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day to Merry Xmas Everybody as a Christmas song, despite also being a huge Slade fan!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Took Mrs H up to Leonardslee Gardens on Sunday and coming back was listening to Johnny Walker's Sound of the 70's on Radio 2.

Played Angel Fingers by Wizzard, a number one, when it meant something, from 1973.

Walker described him as a genius on a par with Phil Spector, musically that is not personally, but is the term genius bandied around far too often?
Short answer: YES

If it hadn't been for Roy Wood there would be no ELO.
I think you'll find that was Jeff Lynne. He was also good, but not a genius either.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can hear the grass grow?

See the people all in line
What's makin' them look at me
Can't imagine that their minds
Are thinkin' the same as me
I can hear the grass grow I can hear the grass grow
I see rainbows in the evening
My head's attracted to
A magnetic wave of sound
With the streams of coloured circles
Makin' their way around.
Can't seem to puzzle out the signs
My senses form a micro line
Get a hold of yourself now baby
See I need you to help now baby
Put your head down to the ground
And listen to your mind
If you can't spell what you found
I know that you're not my kind
Can't seem to puzzle out the signs
My senses form a micro line
See I need you to help now baby
See the people all in line
What's makin' them look at me
Can't imagine that their minds
Are thinkin' the same as me

Or the first song played on Radio 1. I had totally forgotten about that bloody dog, Arnold!

Sometimes listening to a record is best done without a copy of the lyrics to follow!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Of course genius is possibly pushing it but I LOVED his music - See My Baby Jive and Angel Fingers are pop classics from ‘73 and his songs from that 67 to 77 period are just great in my book. Here’s another

Maybe not genius but certainly multitalented and one of the genuine stars of that late 60s-mid 70s era when pop music was king!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

No. He is a genius. Can play any instrument and created albums where he played everything from cello to bagpipes. A huge range of success from The Move, to ELO, to Wizzard and his solo stuff. He was on my music bucket list and I saw him support and give Staus Quo a run for their money in 2011 and more recently at the Theatre Royal. If he gets back on the road again, give yourself a treat. He's still got it.
Brontosaurus and California Man are my huge faves

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Short answer: YES

I think you'll find that was Jeff Lynne. He was also good, but not a genius either.

Surely it takes a genius to play any instrument and create a wide range of music from the deeply complicated to the wickedly catchy and commercial.
And in the formation of ELO, you can't separate Lynne from Wood. Personally, I'm in the Wood camp for genius and Lynne as talented, hardworking, creative but without the something that takes him to genius level.
But hey, I never criticise the musical taste of others. I bet no two physical music collections or playlists in the world are identical.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
No. He is a genius. Can play any instrument and created albums where he played everything from cello to bagpipes. A huge range of success from The Move, to ELO, to Wizzard and his solo stuff. He was on my music bucket list and I saw him support and give Staus Quo a run for their money in 2011 and more recently at the Theatre Royal. If he gets back on the road again, give yourself a treat. He's still got it.
Brontosaurus and California Man are my huge faves

I love the bagpipes, and it always brings a smile to my face when someone works them into a a great pop song!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here