NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Saw a few CPFC and Donny shirts.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well done all, sounds like it went as good as it could have.

Wish I could have been there but currently away.

Phil Young

Aug 5, 2013
I don't really need to add to the heartfelt words already put above in this thread.
Suffice to say I'd be amazed if anybody attends another funeral (celebration of life) like this.
One special mention for Harty who refereed the occasion with warmth, words deep from the heart, humour (allegedly. .!), but above all retaining the perfect sense of dignity for the occasion. THANKS HARTY.

RIP ROY - a true one-off. The world is a sadder place.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sat and snivelled in the corner at the start, but ended up 'laughing through the tears' as they say. Ian Hart, take a bow son, you were magnificent - as were all the speakers. Saw LOADS of people I haven't seen for years (or decades in the case of my old mate Ricky Lock), and all in all it would have been a brilliant day if it wasn't so sad. Also volunteered to look after Kitty, Roy's dog, but I think we're fifth on the list. Fair enough, so long as she goes to a good home (I'm sure she will).

You'd have enjoyed it, Roy!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The brilliant Robb Johnson performed his song about Roy at the wake last night. I iPhone filmed it. Hope it does the song some justice. It cuts out before the end I'm afraid

http://youtu.be/10UjqSXlfkU

Never new him but this brought me to tears. RIP Roy. You must have been a very special person.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
A packed crematorium, a moving service (well done Harty) and a long, beery wake in a Duke of Wellington more packed than I have ever seen it before. So sad. But we gave him the send off he deserved. RIP Roy.
As one final collective tribute there will be a fundraising gig for the Dizzy diabetes charity featuring some of Roy's favourite performers at the Duke of Wellington on Friday August 30 (the day before Millwall at home) starting about 7pm and featuring
Blyth Power, Paul Simmonds & Swill Odgers from The Men They Couldn't Hang, Wob, Fish Brothers, Bandana Brothers and Barnstormer.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As one final collective tribute there will be a fundraising gig for the Dizzy diabetes charity featuring some of Roy's favourite performers at the Duke of Wellington on Friday August 30 (the day before Millwall at home) starting about 7pm and featuring
Blyth Power, Paul Simmonds & Swill Odgers from The Men They Couldn't Hang, Wob, Fish Brothers, Bandana Brothers and Barnstormer.

As it is local count me in.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
A packed crematorium, a moving service (well done Harty) and a long, beery wake in a Duke of Wellington more packed than I have ever seen it before. So sad. But we gave him the send off he deserved. RIP Roy.

Couldn't make the funeral unfortunately as in Czech , but will make sure I will be there for this one ! Great guy and long and fond memories !

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Whoa, that song....maybe just as well I had just left the pub before Wob performed it because I don't like to shed teams in public but, well, the song says it all really. You can't watch that without being moved.

gollum

Dec 29, 2004
It was a wonderful celebration of Roy's life. What an entrance - "Teenage Kicks" by the Undertones - only Roy could have pulled that one off ! Standing room only in the crem with mostly Albion but many shirts and colours of other clubs - true testament to Roy's wide spread popularity. The Duke of Wellington bursting at the seams - even well into the evening, and a special brew in his honour - Dark Star "Sumo" - we all toasted him with this in our hands. We will never forget you Roy - I'm proud and thankful to have known you.

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Indeed I can only echo what others have said, a very moving day indeed.

Music played was Jungleland by Springsteen, Teenage Kicks by the Undertones, The Colours by The Men They Couldnt Hang and Mathematically Safe plus one other by Half Man Half Buscuit.

Met up in the Duke ready to catch the Dark Star Double Decker bus, first of many tears shed was when we passed a building site very close to the Duke and all the builders stopped and took off hard helmets etc, that sort of thing restores my faith in people. Heart felt tributes from family and friends (Harty, Atilla, Mike & The Vicar) which made us laugh and shed a tear at the same time as the summed him up so perfectly.

Afterwards back to the Duke and it was heaving and the Dark Star Sumo beer and others went down very well . Lots of tales from many people who have known him for years and years. Shirts worn that I saw included Southampton, Palace, Barnsley, Greenock Morton & a couple of Ireland ones.

I left sometime around 7pm but I know many others stayed long into the night. I will be back for the Gig on the 30th.

The good news is that Kitty is seeing a potential new owner this evening, depending on Kitty and there 7 month old labrador geting on OK!

The good news is that Kitty is seeing a potential new owner this evening, depending on Kitty and there 7 month old labrador geting on OK!
p378949477-4.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

As I mentioned earlier we'd be only too happy to have Kitty if this 'placement' doesn't work out for any reason. We're going to be in California until Sept 4th if Lynne wonders why nobody answers the phone.

gollum

Dec 29, 2004
As I mentioned earlier we'd be only too happy to have Kitty if this 'placement' doesn't work out for any reason. We're going to be in California until Sept 4th if Lynne wonders why nobody answers the phone.

I can confirm that Friday was very encouraging and they both got on very well together. Harvey (our 7 month old black lab) has just had a minor op so he needs a few days to recover. The plan is to take Kitty in next Sunday and see how we go from there. I will post again here to let you know how things are going, but I don't foresee any problems. However, with Kitty being a pub dog, it would obviously be cruel not to return her to her original home, the Duke of Wellington on what may well turn out to be a regular basis. We shall see!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here