Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Chubby Brown cancelled

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Having worked at council run venues, mostly the BC, if other councils have roughly the same emphasis on equality and inclusion as the BC do then I can see very clearly why they thought twice about having this comedian on. We had exhaustive training on it and the job interview focussed on it a lot.
They are not averse to offensive. They have Ricky Gervais on and Billy Connolly who both can skate on thin ice but they are not abusive. That’s the difference.
Anyway, what I’m saying is no council these days wants these sort of acts in their venues. Agree or disagree with that decision but that’s how it is .
Additionally, loads of acts are looking for venues right now to make up for Covid and Brexit travel issues. The venues have their pick of comedians and bands. Why settle for RCB when there are big name, contemporary bands and comedians clamouring for venues.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
A colleague at work played me a Chubby Brown video once - was to far OTT to me. although at times grudgingly funny (always with an 'Aww, no, you shouldn't go there!' sort of cringe). I can see how he could cause wokes, snowflakes, millenials and all those who think anybody's who's English should have to do pennance to anyone who wants a bit of schadenfraude because the Tudors were muredeous b**tards, to have apoplexy.
So I've come to a comfortable compromise. Carry on, Mr. Brown, infuriate them, drive 'em to the edge of distraction, apoplexy an optional extra, just so long as I don't have to watch/listen, OK?

Pedant alert.

The Tudors were Welsh.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
thing is they had booked it. now they've reacted to some complaints and kicked off the roster. there's the slippery slope, who gets to decide why a booking gets cancelled on complaints, who oversees those complaints etc? if they have some sort of policy and standards they're apply fair enough, but they wouldnt have booked it. feels like policy by peer pressure.

There is a perfect contradiction here.

The theatre is pandering to a bunch of lefties who don't like this sort of thing. Who finances the theatres? probably a bunch of lefty darlings, who turn up and watch virtually anything that is put on to show their support and OR volunteer in their free time. This is certainly how it works at The Ropetackle in Shoreham and these people are absolute treasures.

What business would actively set out to offend a critical set of stakeholders? This is exactly how capitalism is supposed to work. If you don't like it move to Russia/North Korea/Nicaragua and get the government to fund it and choose what everyone is or isn't allow to see.

Meanwhile how about some of you jump on the Bobby Sanchez thread and give some recognition to the Panther! A legend in the making.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Brown would make an excellent warm up act for Sticky Vicky in Benidorm.
In fact he could stay there and sponge a living by doing the 3 pubs a night routine by British hopeless wannabes washed up entertainers.
His audience still exist in the thousands in Benidorm and it means he will never be seen on our shores again.
Brown is as funny as a paper cut on your knob.

I just wee-ed myself laughing at that statement.

Had never heard it before but I am definitely gonna plagiarise it sometime soon :)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I’ve seen Jerry S too and thought him hilarious (and he’s a real sweetheart off stage too), but is me ‘knowing’ the nature of his comedy making it okay? Boris Johnson’s party trick at The Spectator was to get his Johnson out too, but that doesn’t make it right.

The Jerry Springer episode of the Simpsons was one of the funniest I'd seen. Great send up

Marge Simpson "I'm so BEEP BEEP embarrassed"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Albert Hall, capacity 5900? Very impressive.

Oh, it's the Albert Halls in Bolton, capacity 673 (580 still available).

So, it’s a tour of northern shit holes with Essex and Kent thrown in. Lovely.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I can't be bothered to read through this entire thread but I assume it's mainly the usual suspects defending cancel culture while pretending it doesn't exist ... [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can't be bothered to read through this entire thread but I assume it's mainly the usual suspects defending cancel culture while pretending it doesn't exist ... [emoji6]

Actually no. The only predictable thing was the identity of the OP.

Well that, and your post of course.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Second thread in a row you haven't bothered reading and have made the wrong assumption about. I think [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] should make his thread summary service subscription only. How much can you afford?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Thank god you are here Bringer of Truth.

We are all saved :lolol::lolol::facepalm:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

When you posted this I genuinely thought no one would be that stupid to bite…… [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
MV5BOTk5ZjYyZTMtYzYwOC00NmJiLTk1OGQtZTMxY2I1YWQ3ZjJmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_QL75_UX500_.jpg

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Second thread in a row you haven't bothered reading and have made the wrong assumption about. I think [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] should make his thread summary service subscription only. How much can you afford?
Seeking to monetize a previously free service is clearly wrong plus sets a terrible precedent for NSC and the less said about the idea of offering money to modertors for 'extra' services the better ...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Essex has cancelled :)
To be fair, the venue has gone into liquidation. Not even racism’s Roy Chubby Brown could save the place.

If Jim Davidson styles himself as "the people's comedian", does this make Roy "the administrator's comedian"?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

How confusing! Can’t you keep your mindless prejudices to just one thread.

:laugh: and yes this is intended as a joke…….

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here