Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rovers get Zamora boost

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Rovers get Zamora boost

Chairman Greg Dunford has revealed the cash from Brighton's sale of Bobby Zamora will help pay off the club's debts.
Rovers sold Zamora to Brighton for £100,000 three years ago with a 30% sell-on clause and Tottenham confirmed their £1.5million signing of the striker on Friday. Rovers can expect a cash windfall of £420,000.

"The money will go towards helping to reduce the mortgage we have on the Memorial Stadium," Dunford told the Bristol Evening Post.

"We are already over our playing budget and it may well be that we have to tinker further with the squad during the season."

Rovers could receive even more cash from the Zamora transfer. Brighton have inserted a 10% sell-on clause in the deal with Spurs and the Bristol club will be entitled to 30% of that if Zamora leaves the north London club.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
brighton rock said:
Rovers could receive even more cash from the Zamora transfer. Brighton have inserted a 10% sell-on clause in the deal with Spurs and the Bristol club will be entitled to 30% of that if Zamora leaves the north London club.

Is this right? So we have, in effect, included a 7% sell-on clause. Excuse me if I don't get too excited.

Jul 6, 2003
shoreham
we sold bob and paid them 30% so why then do they also get part of our sell on clause,sorry bristol rovers but take the money now and go f**k yourselfs
very confused why they also get part of the next deal surely not????

Seems straightforward to me. The sell-on clause is part of the value of the transfer deal.

As you know, Bristol Rovers are entitled to 30% of whatever Brighton get for Zamora. At the moment that's 30% of £1.5 million, but if Brighton end up getting more later then Bristol Rovers will still get their 30% cut of it. That's how these things always work.

Jameson

Seems to me that Rovers are pretty smart. Smarter than us for sure. If we had done this with half of the players we have lost/let go over the years, we would be in a very good position financially.:dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here