Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rotherham United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe, but where is this famed and expensive development squad? If the strikers in it cant force their way into this side then they must either be garbage or the coaches down the Albion don't know one end of a striker from another. If the DS strikers cant be smashing down the door of this side then they might as well pack up football and do something else.

I think we'll have to wait a few years to see any benefits at all in the first team, the academy has only been open a few months. I don't think the current development squad are any better than we had when we were at Withdean under Wilkins are they?

Feb 14, 2010
The club had to decide if Murray was going to be any good in The Championship

Yes they did, and the football "experts" who get paid to make these decisions couldnt see what most of us could, good ball control, he would lose a marker in the box and finish in a calm efficient manner. No these "experts" decided to go for CMS because he ran around allot. Re arrange the following, foot, shoot, ourselves, the, in, again.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hyypia had to deal with a squad full of strangers and a bigger crock of shite. Any manager would have struggled this season and Hughton has proved that.

Hardly, Hyypia employed tactics that were ridiculous - that was purely down to him. Hughton (and Jones) moved us from second from bottom, to bottom six, which whilst not great, is better and with the same players. This has been achieved by making the players defend properly for starters, something Hyypia was apparently incapable of.

Next season will be the time to judge Hughton.

Feb 14, 2010
I think we'll have to wait a few years to see any benefits at all in the first team, the academy has only been open a few months. I don't think the current development squad are any better than we had when we are Withdean under Wilkins are they?

I think its been together for a couple of seasons now. Times up, time for the players and coaches to deliver.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
what other team actively looks to get rid of their top scorer? Only us

The club has to decide if a player is worth it , not the player or their agent holding the club to ransom. We still had Barnes as 2nd choice striker.

Feb 14, 2010
The club has to decide if a player is worth it , not the player or their agent holding the club to ransom. We still had Barnes as 2nd choice striker.

There is no such thing as holding a club to ransom. There is the market worth and as a player what you can get. We spent £2 Million on CMS instead of paying some of that that £2 Million to Murray. Whoever made that call threw away Premier League football.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Yes they did, and the football "experts" who get paid to make these decisions couldnt see what most of us could, good ball control, he would lose a marker in the box and finish in a calm efficient manner. No these "experts" decided to go for CMS because he ran around allot. Re arrange the following, foot, shoot, ourselves, the, in, again.

The myth that Gus or Tony thought Murray wasn't championship quality is total rubbish. We offered him a contract and he turned us down. Gus decided that he didn't think Murray was worth the wage increase + signing on fee that he was demanding and went after CMS instead all the while claiming he would build the team around him (CMS). After the opening weeks of the 11/12 season he changed tactics as we were leaking goals (Leeds @ Home springs to mind) when playing two up top so he changed the formation to the 4-3-3 with Barnes wide left meaning CMS was usually totally isolated. He failed to deliver this promise to CMS and we got stuck with a player who was totally unsuited to the lone striker system Gus decided to play. It's almost been four years since Murray left and in that time we've seen both Barnes and Ulloa leave (who are both better players IMO) so people REALLY need to get over it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

These are the same football experts who had the same opinion as the football experts at West Ham , Everton , Wigan , QPR , Norwich and Leicester who were all tracking him. Everyone thought he was going to sign for either West Ham or Leicester on big money.

Feb 14, 2010
The myth that Gus or Tony thought Murray wasn't championship quality is total rubbish. We offered him a contract and he turned us down. Gus decided that he didn't think Murray was worth the wage increase + signing on fee that he was demanding and went after CMS instead all the while claiming he would build the team around him (CMS). After the opening weeks of the 11/12 season he changed tactics as we were leaking goals (Leeds @ Home springs to mind) when playing two up top so he changed the formation to the 4-3-3 with Barnes wide left meaning CMS was usually totally isolated. He failed to deliver this promise to CMS and we got stuck with a player who was totally unsuited to the lone striker system Gus decided to play. It's almost been four years since Murray left and in that time we've seen both Barnes and Ulloa leave (who are both better players IMO) so people REALLY need to get over it.

Perhaps but for me football is more simple than that. Anyone who knew anything about football could tell after watching CMS a few times that Murray was a far, far better footballer than CMS. Football is about talent, you either have it or you dont. Murray had more talent than CMS. Simple really. I saw it and so did most Albion fans I know. How our well paid scouts and managers didnt is frankly beyond me.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
In this order:

Agustein
Best
Craig Mackail Smith

brighton-taxis-link-2.jpg

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Until we swiftly sold him to a promotion rival, which was an absolutely thick headed decision, to put it politely

Only because he refused to sign a new deal knowing Burnley were after him and he would run down his contract. We sold him in the January transfer window otherwise he would have left for nothing.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Perhaps but for me football is more simple than that. Anyone who knew anything about football could tell after watching CMS a few times that Murray was a far, far better footballer than CMS. Football is about talent, you either have it or you dont. Murray had more talent than CMS. Simple really. I saw it and so did most Albion fans I know. How our well paid scouts and managers didnt is frankly beyond me.

Well to start with CMS was the top scorer in L1 when we went up so he had to have had some quality and people conveniently forget that Murray only played really well for us in that last season at the Withdean. Before that he came across as sulky and disinterested. He only became the myth everyone remembers when he was playing for a contract.

I also remember him only scoring FIVE goals in the 11/12 season too which was less than CMS.

Feb 14, 2010
These are the same football experts who had the same opinion as the football experts at West Ham , Everton , Wigan , QPR , Norwich and Leicester who were all tracking him. Everyone thought he was going to sign for either West Ham or Leicester on big money.

Doesnt say much for English scouts does it, but why doesnt that surprise me, we support a club who told Roy Keane he was too small. I rarely think the football staff at the Albion have know even the first thing about football. We'd have told Messi "sorry lad, you are too small". Just like we told Murray, "sorry, we fancy a bloke who rund around allot called CMS and we are spending £2 Million on him". Time all this changed if you ask me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Until we swiftly sold him to a promotion rival, which was an absolutely thick headed decision, to put it politely

The apologists will tell you that we couldn't match what Burnley were offering and that they were in a much better position than us at the time. This totally ignores the fact that we didn't offer him a decent wage rise and contract extension a season before his contract was up. Arrogance or cluelessness or a combination of both. Anyone with a brain could see what a committed and skilful never say die player he was, and he was very young. we made a massive gaff letting Murray go, we then repeated it with Barnes and are fed the line by the club and the club apologists on here that 750k was a great deal for a player out of contract at the end of the season.....who we didn't bother to replace.

If you were a Barnes hater, please save yourself the time wasted in responding to this post :smile:

Feb 14, 2010
Well to start with CMS was the top scorer in L1 when we went up so he had to have had some quality and people conveniently forget that Murray only played really well for us in that last season at the Withdean. Before that he came across as sulky and disinterested. He only became the myth everyone remembers when he was playing for a contract.

He can sulk as much as he wants if he scores you 30 plus goals and takes you to the top flight. Bloody hell, he gets paid to score goals not smile at people

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here