Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ross McCormack - Disgraceful attitude

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Funny how Danny Wilson got away with it though. When he wanted out from Brighton, he put on the shirt, went on the pitch, turned in nil effort, then wandered off with his kit pristine. Sharp contrast to his normal high work rate that got him the attention of other clubs. It was the yesteryear version of a Bridcutt strike, head not in the right place or whatever. Never forgave him for that lack of respect.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have a feeling there is a long list of players that when a transfer is imminent, the club don't play a player to avoid an injury and the deal falling through.

That's not really a sensational story, so it gets spiced up by the newspapers as the player refusing to play. It then leaves the press with more ammunition for the future when a player plays against their former club, they can fill their back pages with the same tripe again.

Players and their Agents do force transfer deals through but very seldom do they refuse to play. Look at the conflicting stuff we had about Raheem Sterling with Liverpool and England when his transfer was imminent.

Football is just one of those unique industries which actually lends itself to modern day slavery. The buying and selling of human beings for labour. No other industry outside sport is allowed to do it. The government condones it because VAT is payable on the transfer of monies so it is happy to let it continue, but in any other employment it is illegal to force someone to stay with any employer.

Footballers are well remunerated to compensate for this but ultimately, I have no problem with any player who preserves their Human Rights by forcing through a transfer to a new employer that he may just want to work for instead of the old one.

By the same token I would not like to see transfer fees abolished because they preserve existence of smaller clubs, thus keeping a lot of other people in employment.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Surely a player refusing to play is in breach of their contract?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Surely a player refusing to play is in breach of their contract?

I have just been offered a new job with much better prospects for Promotion and more money.

Unfortunately I cant take the job because my current employer won't let me. They say they will take away my works Visa and stop me working for anyone else now. They also say they are going to make me work with all the juniors in the office and give me all the menial tasks around the office. So I have said I am not going to go back into the office.

Who is being the biggest *******. Me or them?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I thought he looked uninterested and lazy when we played them at Craven Cottage. He certainly didn't look worth £11 million to me. I think Leeds did Fulham over, as we did Leicester with Ulloa (okay, I don't think Leo is fat and lazy, but in a normal market he isn't worth £8 million, £10 million or whatever we got for him). It was his partner Smith (the tall one who gave Uwe trouble in the air; he hit the post early on) that impressed me. I'd be more than happy to have him in our side, but I think it wouldn't be long before McCormack was looking for another move.

Smith is a target for Brizzle City. - yet another opportunity for a striker to reject a move there :lolol:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I have just been offered a new job with much better prospects for Promotion and more money.

Unfortunately I cant take the job because my current employer won't let me. They say they will take away my works Visa and stop me working for anyone else now. They also say they are going to make me work with all the juniors in the office and give me all the menial tasks around the office. So I have said I am not going to go back into the office.

Depends if your employer had paid £11m to secure your services on the understanding that you would honour your contract.

In those circumstances, you.

:)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Depends if your employer had paid £11m to secure your services on the understanding that you would honour your contract.

In those circumstances, you.

:)

Ah so the real one to blame was my previous employer who sold me on as a working slave and accepted monies for selling me

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Ah so the real one to blame was my previous employer who sold me on as a working slave and accepted monies for selling me

Not sure I agree with that. You didn't have to sign up with your existing employer........you still had a choice.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No not really, you were fully entitled to refuse the move, honour your previous contract and walk away a "free" man once you had done.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Not sure I agree with that. You didn't have to sign up with your existing employer........you still had a choice.

Actually, often players don't when a club gets a really big money offer that they cannot afford to turn down. They get virtually told if they don't move they will not play for their current club.

'' Snake face'' Karen Brady famously brags about players she has sold over the years who didn't want to move.

Rangers forced Alan Hutton to take a £9 million move to Tottenham because they needed the money.

I am actually only playing ''Devils Advocate'' in this issue because I hate '' Diva'' footballers and I actually know Ross Mc Cormack. Like Jamie Murphy, he played for Motherwell and I know him from when he played there. He may have changed since then but he certainly wasn't an Egotistical player back then but that's beside the point. What I also don't like is employers controlling individuals either because I wouldn't et it happen to me in my work place.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Your analogy is completely misleading (and probably deliberately emotive) as in slavery the individual has no choice where they work whereas in football the player has ultimate choice.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Your analogy is completely misleading (and probably deliberately emotive) as in slavery the individual has no choice where they work whereas in football the player has ultimate choice.

You are correct 100% but you cannot deny that it is the only profession where people are openly bought and sold in the true sense of the words

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Actually, often players don't when a club gets a really big money offer that they cannot afford to turn down. They get virtually told if they don't move they will not play for their current club.

'' Snake face'' Karen Brady famously brags about players she has sold over the years who didn't want to move.

Rangers forced Alan Hutton to take a £9 million move to Tottenham because they needed the money.

I am actually only playing ''Devils Advocate'' in this issue because I hate '' Diva'' footballers and I actually know Ross Mc Cormack. Like Jamie Murphy, he played for Motherwell and I know him from when he played there. He may have changed since then but he certainly wasn't an Egotistical player back then but that's beside the point. What I also don't like is employers controlling individuals either because I wouldn't et it happen to me in my work place.

Exactly how did Alan Hutton have his arm twisted to move from a club? At the end of the day, it was still his decision whether to sign or not. In hindsight, bearing in mind Rangers relegation to the lower leagues, it was a good move to make as he is probably set for life having played for Tottenham and Villa in the premier league. How many true slaves do you know that could give up work in their mid 30s and retire.

If he loved Rangers so much, he could have run down one of his contracts at either Spurs or Villa and gone back there on a significantly reduced salary.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Exactly how did Alan Hutton have his arm twisted to move from a club? At the end of the day, it was still his decision whether to sign or not. In hindsight, bearing in mind Rangers relegation to the lower leagues, it was a good move to make as he is probably set for life having played for Tottenham and Villa in the premier league. How many true slaves do you know that could give up work in their mid 30s and retire.

He was told to accept the move and if he didn't that Rangers would terminate his contract leaving him with no work. He would have had re-dress through the Courts but as Rangers old company folded owing millions he would have got nothing. He was warned of this. Consequently he moved to Spurs.

You are correct, he was well remunerated but HE WAS STILL SOLD

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He was told to accept the move and if he didn't that Rangers would terminate his contract leaving him with no work. He would have had re-dress through the Courts but as Rangers old company folded owing millions he would have got nothing. He was warned of this. Consequently he moved to Spurs.

You are correct, he was well remunerated but HE WAS STILL SOLD

So he would have had no work or contract at Rangers. He could easily sign for another club. I suspect there would have been plenty of clubs that would be interested in signing a player for free but valued at £9m by Spurs!

albionite

May 20, 2009
Wish someone would sell me to another company against my will for £5k a week. I'm not greedy 5k a month will do.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
So he would have had no work or contract at Rangers. He could easily sign for another club. I suspect there would have been plenty of clubs that would be interested in signing a player for free but valued at £9m by Spurs!

Rangers were offered more by Tottenham than any other club. That was the only offer they were going to accept. They needed the money as much as they could get. He didn't want to leave Glasgow but he either dropped to a small salary or no salary at all OR moved to Spurs. That was his options. Dress it up how you will and Alan openly stated it at the time, he was sold against his will.

Andy Carroll made similar claims when Newcastle sold him.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I have a feeling there is a long list of players that when a transfer is imminent, the club don't play a player to avoid an injury and the deal falling through.

That's not really a sensational story, so it gets spiced up by the newspapers as the player refusing to play. It then leaves the press with more ammunition for the future when a player plays against their former club, they can fill their back pages with the same tripe again.

Players and their Agents do force transfer deals through but very seldom do they refuse to play. Look at the conflicting stuff we had about Raheem Sterling with Liverpool and England when his transfer was imminent.

Football is just one of those unique industries which actually lends itself to modern day slavery. The buying and selling of human beings for labour. No other industry outside sport is allowed to do it. The government condones it because VAT is payable on the transfer of monies so it is happy to let it continue, but in any other employment it is illegal to force someone to stay with any employer.

Footballers are well remunerated to compensate for this but ultimately, I have no problem with any player who preserves their Human Rights by forcing through a transfer to a new employer that he may just want to work for instead of the old one.

By the same token I would not like to see transfer fees abolished because they preserve existence of smaller clubs, thus keeping a lot of other people in employment.

That is an extremely good post and something that reflects quite reasonably in my opinion the modern day footballers and his advisor's mind set.

I think fans just seem to struggle with the thought that a player doesn't have a similar mindset to themselves, loving the club, feeling astonishingly privileged to even walk on the pitch, paid very well and be a part of the clubs history etc etc.

Dont worry too much about clubs, their own Boardrooms are choc a bloc with Lawyers, successful and ruthless businessmen and their minions, once in a while you will get a player playing hardball but most of the time the clubs are double dealing with players careers and aspirations.

Fulham will be well rewarded for McCormacks own self determination and development, Fulham will bleat about how they feel let down, probably at a time they themselves have mercilessly released, sacked, loaned out and ignored some of their own young players at the club, so dont cry for Fulham they will be ok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here