Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rosler says it's tough for Wigan financially

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Problem is employment lawyers would have a field day if something like that was put into a contract and what player would want to sign a contract like that

I don't think employment law would be in question, but you are right I don't think many players would want to sign up to it. Especially as they know they have clubs over a barrel, as I'm sure other clubs would offer contracts without such clauses if it meant they could beat a rival to the signature.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Something needs to happen. I applaud BHAFC if they really have a wage ceiling in place, and are sticking to it for new hires, even if it does mean that we lose out on some choice players. It's one thing to pay players well for what they do, another for massively over-paying and contributing to a situation which will ultimately bankrupt every football club in the FL.

I can't help but feel that FFP is a dead duck; we'll find out over the next year but anything which is that complex and has that much money at stake is a magnet for legal challenge. It also looks like there are legal arguments against placing a wage cap over the entire Championship dictated by the FL, so it's down to the clubs to try to bring sanity to the wage situation for their own good.

Of course this is a traditional prisoner's dilemma and if the clubs don't trust each other to do the right thing they'll keep overspending and inflating expectations. And the more they do this the more they alienate their supporters, as their contribution is less and less significant and football clubs turn to large sponsors and sugar daddies to keep them afloat.

I'll stop typing now; I've depressed myself enough.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
Problem is employment lawyers would have a field day if something like that was put into a contract and what player would want to sign a contract like that

For my sins, I'm an employment lawyer, and there's nothing I know of which would prevent an employer inserting a clause like that into a contract. I understand that a number of Premier League clubs are now attempting to do so, with varying degrees of success.

However, a contract is an agreement, so the player would need to agree to a clause reducing his income in the event of relegation - it's not something that a club could impose unilaterally. Whether a player agrees to such a clause is likely to depend on the strength of his bargaining position (i.e. are there other clubs sniffing around) and what the club offers as a quid pro quo - such as a bonus in the event of avoiding relegation, or a release clause that is triggered by relegation.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I believe that all players at Spanish clubs have to have a release clause in their contract. Although I think Messi's is something ridiculous like 200mil. But if they can enforce this in Spain it can easily be enforced here.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Yep, have heard it said on a number of occasions that players generally won't sign contracts with relegation clauses (at least, not the good ones).

They love performance-related pay, footballers, but only when it works in their favour.

Much like bankers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here