Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rosberg Retires from F1 !!!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Don't you think that with Red Bull closing the gap and having two top drivers in Verstappen and Ricciardo that that is all the more reason for Mercedes to minimise risk by recruiting Alonso?

Maybe, but after three seasons of grief between Hamilton and Rosberg would bringing in Alonso cause even more trouble?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair play to the guy. He achieved his dream and with a young family he apparently doesn't want to make the same, or higher, sacrifices again.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe, but after three seasons of grief between Hamilton and Rosberg

has there been any between them? between the drivers crews, yes, but i understood the two drivers got on OK.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Maybe, but after three seasons of grief between Hamilton and Rosberg would bringing in Alonso cause even more trouble?

Rosberg deserves respect for winning the title and for his blistering start to the season which, ultimately, underpinned his victory. However, even numerous mechanic failures didn't stop Lewis winning the race victory count 10-9.

It is clear that Hamilton is the better of the two drivers by some margin, whereas if he were to have Alonso in the team I suspect the gap will be narrower.

Having Lewis fired up by missing out on a fourth world title by a mere 5 points promises much excitement but if he has Alonso breathing down his neck we might get Lewis delivering the best season of his life. Lewis might also bring out the best in Alonso too. I think it's the combo everyone wants to see and the perfect duo to fight the young guns of Red Bull.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Would Alonso actually go to Mercedes? He loves being number one and Mercedes refuse to have a number one driver. Would the prospect of winning some races and having a genuine shot at the world title be enough to dampen down his ego? Hamilton and Alonso would be a great combo though and would mean that probably the top six drivers(if kimi can be considered top quality still?) on the grid in the best six cars. Exciting stuff.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Would Alonso actually go to Mercedes? He loves being number one and Mercedes refuse to have a number one driver. Would the prospect of winning some races and having a genuine shot at the world title be enough to dampen down his ego? Hamilton and Alonso would be a great combo though and would mean that probably the top six drivers(if kimi can be considered top quality still?) on the grid in the best six cars. Exciting stuff.

Kimi is still class!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
has there been any between them? between the drivers crews, yes, but i understood the two drivers got on OK.
Christmas card lost in the post?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Alonso would get smashed by Hamilton, Hamilton was quicker in his first year of F1 racing when teamed with him.

Button has also been more than a match for Alonso this season. Alonso is not the way forward for Mercedes.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Smart man - he got his title by the skin of his teeth and knows better than to try his luck for another against more talented drivers (Hamilton and Verstappen for a start).

Exactly. Just the sort of two-bob behaviour you'd expect from someone who is an expert in organised traffic. Formula 1 = absolute pony "sport".

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Surprising but you can understand the reasoning. He didn't seem to enjoy the run in to the end of the season when the pressure was on and it was only ever going to get worse from here on out.

This way he can go on a high, on his terms, with no regrets. Fair play to him.

I reckon, based on complete guesswork, that Vettel will go to Merc with Perez taking his seat at Ferrari.

Or, you know, Wehrlein.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
With millions in the bank, a young family to spend time with, a world championship in the record books and a weapons-grade ar5ehole for a teammate, I can see why Rosberg reached this particular conclusion.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Fair play to the guy. He achieved his dream and with a young family he apparently doesn't want to make the same, or higher, sacrifices again.

My thoughts exactly, HT.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I think Bottas would really fit the Merc mould. I think he signed a new deal with Williams in the summer but to me he has the experience and the speed to fit the bill

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
excellent descision by him all things considered

young family

achieved what he set out to do

no guarantee the mercedes will be the superior car next season

and he will always be known as the man who won the world championship while having Lewis Hamilton as a team mate

I can see that being in the sports quizzes 30 years from now

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
German Team - German Driver. Vettel will be announced as Hamilton's team mate soon. Huge buy out clause and Ferrari will have Max V next season.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Alonso would get smashed by Hamilton, Hamilton was quicker in his first year of F1 racing when teamed with him.

Button has also been more than a match for Alonso this season. Alonso is not the way forward for Mercedes.

Button scored more points over 3 seasons when teamed up with Hamilton

Alonso out scored Button this season

Hamilton IS super quick,but not the complete driver as in the Alain Prost sense of the word

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here