Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rosberg admits he drove into Hamilton on purpose

Phil B

Jul 27, 2004
Ifield, Crawley
Nothing will happen.
Mercedes had the title in the bag ages ago. Once that was sorted, LH started to get problems with their car.
Surprise , surprise.
This way the German Company gets their "Wunderkid" to win the Drivers bit and they dominate the world !

Sound familiar .... ? ???

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It really was a crass piece of driving wasn't it? At the time the best defense you could give Rosberg was that it was clumsy to an amateur level.

I don't agree with the Mercedes-Rosberg German conspiracy theory. For a start Rosberg is German in passport only. Even then he also has a Finnish passport lives and has lived most of his life in Monaco. On top of that Toto Wollf and Niki Lauda both came out in public interviews very strongly in favour of Lewis and against Rosberg. This was before Rosberg then admitted to doing it on purpose(a statement that Mercedes say is broadly true).

Rosberg could be in some real trouble here. It seems to me that Mercedes don't really care which of their drivers wins the championship as long as one of them does, the other comes second and the team wins the constructors championship. They've more or less let Rosberg and Hamilton get on with things as their squabbling hasn't had an adverse affect on team results(see Rosberg's 'error' during Monaco qualifying). Now they have a situation where one of their drivers has deliberately sabotaged the other and at the same time ruined things from a team perspective. I suspect (well, hope...)that they'll come down fairly heavily on Rosberg otherwise they run the risk of Rosberg and Hamilton throwing everything at each other to the massive detriment of the team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mercedes are now backtracking slightly and suggesting that it wasn't so much deliberate as a refusal to back off. This is gonna be swept under the Mercedes carpet and I can't see the FIA getting involved as what has been said is basically hearsay as Rosberg has also said it was a refusal to back off.

Ramps up what was already a very interesting duel between the two of them. Rosberg has yet to beat Hamilton fair and square on the track, which probably has a lot to do with the desperate attempt to get past him and the willingness to cause an accident. He knows he struggles beat Hamilton on one to one racing hence the effective cheating yesterday and probably at Monaco. Now that Red Bull seem to be back in the mix and one of the Williams and the Ferraris it's probably not all about Mercedes for the rest of the season. Gonna be well worth watching.

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Rosberg is a dream formula one driver; he is talented and multi-lingual, which is perfect for the sponsors. I think whatever Mercedes do will be behind closed doors, possibly a fine or something. In Rosberg and Hamilton, Mercedes have one of the most talented line ups on the grid and seeing both of the cars fighting at the front of the grid is exactly what Mercedes would have wanted when they joined F1 as a manufacturer.

I suspect that the bigwigs at Mercedes won't want to rock the boat, regardless of what the team management want. Interestingly though, Rosberg struggles for popularity in Germany - Hamilton was right with his comments about Rosberg not being a proper german. So he won't gain advantage because of his nationality.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
There is a risk in any contact between 2 cars that either car could be fatally injured. Front wings can now be replaced in 10 seconds but Nico could not be sure of inflicting a puncture. Was it really that calculated?

I think LH has had more than his fair share of bad luck - if he is to win the title this needs to change. Personally, I think he is the quicker driver but he must now show massive mental strength, and hope for better luck.

With the farce of the final round being double points, I suspect the drivers championship will go to the wire.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I feel very sorry for Lewis, Rosberg has had ALL the luck this season and in my opinion cheated twice (yesterday and Monaco) He looked genuinely shocked at the booing he rightly received and claims it was just the British fans? He's a tosser and I think he KNOWS that given equal luck then Hamilton will beat him. He also ruined what was already becoming a potential brilliant race.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
There is a risk in any contact between 2 cars that either car could be fatally injured.

Which is precisely why he should receive a lengthy ban if proven he did it on purpose. Nothing to do with Mercedes, the FIA, if it had any balls, should throw the book at him.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
There is a risk in any contact between 2 cars that either car could be fatally injured. Front wings can now be replaced in 10 seconds but Nico could not be sure of inflicting a puncture. Was it really that calculated?

I think LH has had more than his fair share of bad luck - if he is to win the title this needs to change. Personally, I think he is the quicker driver but he must now show massive mental strength, and hope for better luck.

With the farce of the final round being double points, I suspect the drivers championship will go to the wire.

The later evening in depth review on Sky Sports F1 looked very convincing in the fact that it was deliberate. Firstly the view from NR's car showed he steered into the tyre immediately after the first collision. Secondly, and rather damning, in an interview with Pirelli the interviewer asked about puncturing of F1 tyres. It appears there is very little chance of a blow out if contact is made on the tread section of the tyre, or if contact is made from the rim out to about 2 or 3 inches from the outer edge. However he pointed out that the weak spot for all tyres is the outer 2 - 3 inch section, if contact from another cars wing etc. is made there there is a 95% chance of a puncture. The question of course is did Rosberg know this fact?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I feel very sorry for Lewis, Rosberg has had ALL the luck this season and in my opinion cheated twice (yesterday and Monaco) He looked genuinely shocked at the booing he rightly received and claims it was just the British fans? He's a tosser and I think he KNOWS that given equal luck then Hamilton will beat him. He also ruined what was already becoming a potential brilliant race.

The luck is certainly levelling out now. Still alot of racing to go, but the cheating Rosberg has been brought down to earth. :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Intentional sabotage by Mercedes?

They will win the drivers championship and constructors no matter what happens, however if Rosberg had gone on to win by picking up 2nd places and the odd win, he'd have always had that hanging over him.

Quick fiddle with the electrics, get the drivers back practically level, and your back on track with a fair winner.

Completely ridiculous to suggest this I know, but makes you wonder...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here