Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooting mobile phones.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Serious question, I have an HTC phone that is a bit surplus to requirements, so I think I might have a go at rooting it. What sort of thing can I tinker with in the apps, and what apps can I do this too. And also, what apps are there that will only work on the rooted phone?

First stop, have a look at xda developers. They'll have a phone specific forum which will cater for your model. There'll be a rooting guide. If it's a popular phone, there's likely to be several programs which can root your phone. That is usually done through a downloaded programme on your computer. The program which roots your phone will instruct you etc. If it's like the phones I've rooted, you need, at some stage, to download a programme which grants superuser access. Read up on it, I'd advise.

As far as programs which can only be installed on rooted phones, there are backup apps for example which need root access, you can also use these to uninstall anything you don't want on there. There are apps which need root which alter the sound capabilities of the phone if for instance it's too quiet. You can also change the chip speeds if you like that kind of thing. There are doubtless other advantages, not least the ability to install other roms which all offer slightly different performance and user interfaces.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Oh! I've been bounced. :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here