Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Roofer costs

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How much should it cost for...

Two roofers working for a total of two and a half hours, replacing three ridge tiles with new tiles, and re-fixing another five tiles in the same row that were very loose.

Google can give me an idea, obviously, but I'd like some local knowledge!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Two roofers working for a total of two and a half hours, replacing three ridge tiles with new tiles, and re-fixing another five tiles in the same row that were very loose.

Literally just had a job done earlier this week. Similar scale. 4x ridge tiles, 3x tiles damaged when the ridge tiles came off, 1x anti-bird fitting for our chimney. Required scaffolding for access, which upped the cost. All up the job cost us a little over £800.

Suggest you look for local tradesmen (with good reputations) rather than any of the bigger companies. I won't name the company publicly, but the big company we got to give us quote wanted to charge double - including charging as much for the scaffold alone as the entire job cost us with the well-recommended local trader.

Edit: will add, we got 3 quotes before choosing who to go with. Two of those quotes from local tradesmen with excellent Checkatrade ratings came in very similar, in that £825-ish range. The third was the big company at roughly double that.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
350 to 450…… and ask them kindly if they would be interested in the re-roof during late summer

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Countywide roofing did our roof (hip to gable end) as subbies for our loft conversion.

They did a very good job.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Literally just had a job done earlier this week. Similar scale. 4x ridge tiles, 3x tiles damaged when the ridge tiles came off, 1x anti-bird fitting for our chimney. Required scaffolding for access, which upped the cost. All up the job cost us a little over £800.

Suggest you look for local tradesmen (with good reputations) rather than any of the bigger companies. I won't name the company publicly, but the big company we got to give us quote wanted to charge double - including charging as much for the scaffold alone as the entire job cost us with the well-recommended local trader.

Edit: will add, we got 3 quotes before choosing who to go with. Two of those quotes from local tradesmen with excellent Checkatrade ratings came in very similar, in that £825-ish range. The third was the big company at roughly double that.

Looking at the post it indicates job done already:shrug:

I’m going for £500 being billed

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Thanks - the work has already been done.

It was going to be replacing the three tiles that had come off, but the roofer identified other tiles in the same row were very loose, which I completely expected, as we were able to just lift one off ourselves to stop it just falling off. The cement (or whatever it is fixed with) had all but perished away. He removed those, cleaned it all up and re-fixed them properly.

It's not very high up - our house is a bungalow, and the ridge tiles run from the high point of the roof diagonally down to ceiling height of the ground floor, so no scaffolding required - just ladders.

He charged £420 which just feels a bit high if I do the maths on what I expect an hourly rate and cost of materials to be. He came via personal recommendation.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I imagine roofers are somewhat in demand right now which may explain higher-than-normal rates, I guess, and he did come quickly.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
We paid £400 for a bloke to do a really quick fix on a few broken roof tiles and slapping some sand and cement into a hole; just biding our time until we can afford to GO UP THERE.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I lost a single tile in the storm. Roofer came the next day and charged £20 for half an hour and 62p for the tile.

Not sure why it would take two of them but at £40 per hour, 2.5 hours should be no more than £200.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Thanks - the work has already been done.

It was going to be replacing the three tiles that had come off, but the roofer identified other tiles in the same row were very loose, which I completely expected, as we were able to just lift one off ourselves to stop it just falling off. The cement (or whatever it is fixed with) had all but perished away. He removed those, cleaned it all up and re-fixed them properly.

It's not very high up - our house is a bungalow, and the ridge tiles run from the high point of the roof diagonally down to ceiling height of the ground floor, so no scaffolding required - just ladders.

He charged £420 which just feels a bit high if I do the maths on what I expect an hourly rate and cost of materials to be. He came via personal recommendation.

Sounds about similar to mine then, once take out the scaffolding cost.

The materials themselves are cheap - our original quote didn't include the 3 damaged tiles. Getting those done only added £10 to the bill, and they had to come back the next day to do them.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Whatever you calculate it should be, then double it.
At least. "Hourly rates" being asked for by tradesmen these days are literally impossible to imagine without using a speculative multiplier.

In my road that traditionally has been known locally for the number of doctors, dentists, etc living there we now have our very own plumber's van in residence... whatever next?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I paid £120 late last year with a roofer to replace 1 Ridge tile and fix 1 other tiles add new felt lining. It took about 30 minutes.
Other quotes were far more expensive and insisted we need scaffolding.

Stumpy Tim

I had almost exactly the same issue after the storm and have been quoted 395 quid

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
At least. "Hourly rates" being asked for by tradesmen these days are literally impossible to imagine without using a speculative multiplier.

In my road that traditionally has been known locally for the number of doctors, dentists, etc living there we now have our very own plumber's van in residence... whatever next?

Same . . . a bout 10 years ago we got a Sparkies VW van. talk about lowering the tone, he's a Spuds fan from Laaandan :lolol:

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
They charge whatever they want. Seems to change all the time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here