Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ronaldo v Messi

Who is the better player?

• Total voters

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I know it's easier said than done, but keep Messi off his right foot hand he'll struggle. 85% of his goals have been scored with his right peg. Ronaldo can do it with either AND his head as he has a great leap on him too.

It's his left foot but your point still stands.

Whilst taking nothing away from Messi's undoubted talent, how many players have enjoyed such a succession of top class teams as Barcelona has put out over the past eight years or so? You can only imagine Ronaldo's goal scoring record if he were getting that kind of service.

In answer to the question it is Ronaldo without a shadow of a doubt.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Ronaldo often loses his cool and isn't a team player to the same level as Messi. His Portugal side have choked in numerous tournaments, but the best example was in the ECL final vs Athletico Madrid, Di Maria was the player who stepped up for Real, while Ronaldo was having a sulk until late in the game when he finally decided to play only after Real Madrid had it in the bag. You would expect a world class player to rise for the big occasion, but Ronaldo often doesn't, while Messi almost always does. Messi edges it by being mentally stronger and a better team player than Ronaldo.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Messi is a natural.

Oct 25, 2003
I prefer Messi. That's because Ronaldo is the better physical scecimen- he's built for football and not only that he has the looks and swagger to back it up

Messi is shy, awkward looking and just shouldn't be as good as he is at football- and that's why I prefer him

I also think Messi has been SLIGHTLY better when it REALLY matters- latter stages of the champions league, world cups etc.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Ronaldo by a mile as he is a complete player and most use to a team. Messi is more interested in his own ends?

He has 30 more assists than Ronaldo since Ronaldo joined Real Madrid.

Ronaldo is the greatest DEVELOPED footballer I have seen. By that I mean he has CRAFTED himself into a MACHINE through sheer hard work.

Messi, on the other hand, is just a PHENOMENAL talent. That is pure park football at it's very best and i don't think we will ever see a player with the same NATURAL technical ability and footballing brain.

2 completely different players to me and in no way can one be described as better than the other "by a mile"

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Ronaldo is a robotic player, powers through in straight lines more often than not and can out jump most people. It's not EXCITING to watch though. Impressive and effective yes - beautiful to watch? Not for me.

Messi is just a pleasure to see, grace, finesse, style etc - he is who I would choose to watch out the two, every time. And he is far more of a complete player, his creative side is way above Ronaldo's. He can pick passes out the likes of which only Xavi can.

Last edited:

Oct 25, 2003
i've had the pleasure of watching messi in the flesh twice this season...absolutely phenomenal. His team play is out of this world especially his ability to spot a pass

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
Messi has the natural talent, whereas for me, ronaldo seems to have had to work much harder to reach Messi's level. Messi.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
It's very difficult to compare to be honest, they both have very different attributes.

On current form... Ronaldo.

Over their careers to date... Messi.

I would go as far to say that Messi is the best player to have ever played the game, so he gets my vote. Even if by his standards he is having a nightmare of a game, he can still come up with the goods when it counts (see Argentina at the world cup). Not only is he a lethal finisher and probably the best dribbler there has ever been, he has incredible vision and creativity that Ronaldo just cannot get close to.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Messi

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
is it? would Messi create the oppurtunities being marked and kicked out of the game on cold Tuesday nights oop north? maybe, but we can say Ronaldo did. more over, while Messi has had the backing of a stella, slick, efficient side, Ronaldo has sometimes carried misfiring sides, particularly Portugal. Ronaldo seems to have a more all round game, Messi can go missing a bit if not fed good ball.

Messi would have an absolute field day in any league. You do realise he gets lumps kicked out of him on a frequent basis in Spain as well? It's the only way you can stop him sometimes!

Granted Ronaldo did well to get Portugal to the world cup... but Messi carried the Argies to the WC final this year without even playing well. Ronaldo couldn't do the same for Portugal when they got to the finals.

I agree that Ronaldo has more of an 'all-round' game, he is great in the air and can put himself about a bit. But I actually think Ronaldo is more reliant on good service playing for Madrid, than Messi is at Barcelona. Ronaldo is a great finisher but he doesn't score goals out of absolutely nothing as frequently as Messi does, and as Messi tends to play centrally rather than on the left, he has far more involvement in build up play compared to Ronaldo.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Ronaldo has the all round game. I think over the last year he overtaken Messi and moved on to a different level. Certainly the greatest player in my lifetime

Oct 25, 2003
to suggest that messi wouldn't be anything other than incredible over here is ridiculous.

we'll never find out though as it'll never happen

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Currently ronaldo, but overall it's messi for me. Scores the goals, gets assists and is more of a team player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here