Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ronaldinho anyone?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Who was the Brazilian (?) player who turned out for an amateur north east club a few years back. Arrived in his chauffeur driven limo, played for a few minutes and got a heroes welcome.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
That was Socrates, I think. He turned out for Garforth Town.

He died fairly recently, too. He was only in his late 50s, if I remember correctly.
Socrates, that was him.
I remember Martin Chivers (I know different class) playing for the Albion last games of 78/79 and not moving more than a few yards from the centre spot but his influence was worth more than skill alone.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
Prime example of a place which had the probably quite attractive town centre ripped out of it by town planners in the 1960's and replaced with a concrete monstrosity. It has been improved somewhat by turning that monstrosity in to something called Festival Place, but.....

I spent about 8 years working there earlier in my life. London overspill from before the war when they moved places like Smiths Industries (where I used to work) out of London because they built aviation related stuff, and did not want them to remain an easy target in London for bombs.

I have a lot of family there and am therefore there quite often. regardless of its obvious lack of culture and vibrance, I really like the place

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Who was the Brazilian (?) player who turned out for an amateur north east club a few years back. Arrived in his chauffeur driven limo, played for a few minutes and got a heroes welcome.
Socrates I believe, for Garforth Town. There are pictures floating around of him sat on the bench wrapped up under a fair amount of blankets...oddly enough, he found it quite cold on these shores.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I have a lot of family there and am therefore there quite often. regardless of its obvious lack of culture and vibrance, I really like the place

My wife worked there as well, but after I did, in senior management in Queen Mary's Sixth Form College. I have to admit that, despite all of the above, we both got quite fond of the place as well.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Is it April 1st?

Did I sleep through the winter?

How are we doing in the league?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Prime example of a place which had the probably quite attractive town centre ripped out of it by town planners in the 1960's and replaced with a concrete monstrosity. It has been improved somewhat by turning that monstrosity in to something called Festival Place, but.....

Dead right - it was a nice little place in the late fifties / early sixties, when Queen Mary's was a school, not a college! Huge number of proper pubs demolished for that 'orrible concrete jungle they built circa 1967.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here