Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Romas in ground atmosphere

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
Back on topic, I loved the singing the Roma fans sang before kick-off. A love letter to the city.

Everyone singing, at one pace, and not racing away as we do for GOSBTS, and genuinely awe-inspiring when they turn the volume up to 11 towards the end.

Roma Roma Roma was captured well by Brian Owen from the press box.

It was amazing. I recorded a bit of it but then stopped as I wanted to fully take it all in ... hairs standing up on the back of my neck. As it finished, I looked at the chap next to me - no idea who he was - and he said, "I think I've just had a moment". Loved it.

Terry Connor

Oct 21, 2022
I thought they were briliant. This may not be an opportune time to say it, but Roma really are one of the good guys of Italian football. So many of their clubs totally overrun by fascistic gangs like the worst club in world football Lazio, but not Roma. I know Roma fans in England and so I'm a long time admirer, have been given many scarves in the past! Probably my "second" Italian club after Livorno which as the likes of Attila will attest, are something akin to the St Pauli of Italy
I had a problem with our fans singing Forza Lazio. Mussolini's team.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Back on topic, I loved the singing the Roma fans sang before kick-off. A love letter to the city.

Everyone singing, at one pace, and not racing away as we do for GOSBTS, and genuinely awe-inspiring when they turn the volume up to 11 towards the end.

I must admit when I heard it on my stream I initially thought it was the Cup Final and Abide with Me!

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

Thought Mai Sola Mai before that was also incredible. Ground full 10 mins beforehand and built there own atmosphere to a climax. Wasn’t a fan of it all like the name chanting after goals but there pre match bar the saluting was brilliant

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thought Mia Sola Mia before that was also incredible. Ground full 10 mins beforehand and built there own atmosphere to a climax. Wasn’t a fan of it all like the name chanting after goals but there pre match bar the saluting was brilliant
Thanks - that was the other one I was looking for.

Found it now!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
What on earth could our answer be to this for next week's match?!

The thing is she probably did unless poor Philip had a crap time of it. How is that meant to be insulting?

Talby

Dec 24, 2023
You get into a thread and comment without even reading.
Talby, I'll try to make it clear once more, but you need to focus ok?

I DID quote him. Not reading may be the reason why you may have missed it:

Then a bunch of you backed portlock's racist claim by evading my point and not conceding, and so I made my point again and again and again.

About justifying/not justifying, I think the following is pretty self-explanatory:
"The point here is not to defend whoever stabs or attacks someone, the point is to debunk what portlock and Brian claimed. English supporters (and Dutch supporters) caused damages and violence in Rome for DECADES, and the result is that now even poor Brighton babyface supporters get hit by local idiots. Not saying it's justified
Don't try to compete on this shit, it's ugly for any side"

"local idiots react as the idiots they are"

"I'm sorry if anyone got hurt."

Now at which point, reading all this, did you think: "mmmh, this guy, I tell you! He really is not conceding! He's really justifying stabbing!". Or, more likely, how many of these posts didn't you read, and still thought it was clever to comment on what you didn't read?

Summary (click here) just for you:
A guy on this thread made a racist claim. So I answered that English people (or "Brits") are really in no f***ing position IN GENERAL to school anyone on football sobriety.

Now, Talby: I can explain it to you over and over again, with drawings too, but I can't, I really can't understand it for you. That part, you have to sort it by yourself.
You’re blowing hot air.

We know our ruined past, your present is more of a concern. Sort your own shit out in the same way ours has been addressed.

You’re a total fool.

Coozi

Mar 8, 2024
You’re blowing hot air.

We know our ruined past, your present is more of a concern. Sort your own shit out in the same way ours has been addressed.

You’re a total fool.
I'm sorry this is all you've got after I demonstrated you didn't read.

Also, when English football fans come to Rome, they do a lot of things (attacking locals, damaging stuff) your media do not report. THEREFORE, what your mate claimed on this thread is self-exonerating racism at its best.

About the "fool" thing: Insults are the last resorts of those who have nothing to say. I forgive you, Talby. Goodbye.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

Also, when English football fans come to Rome, they do a lot of things (attacking locals, damaging stuff) your media do not report. THEREFORE, what your mate claimed on this thread is self-exonerating racism at its best.

About the "fool" thing: Insults are the last resorts of those who have nothing to say. I forgive you, Talby. Goodbye.
Ok, I can see where this conversation has gone. Most of it was said after 2 of our supporters had just been stabbed. Football violence did used to be something the 'Brits' were renowned for, decades ago and we were banned from leagues abroad.
I can't speak for any other English football club, but I feel I can say that on Thursday you will be welcomed by the vast majority of the supporters of our club. As you can see by some of the threads on here, we don't take kindly to some of our supporters behaving like idiots, home or away.
Brighton & Hove is a lovely city (2 towns) and no we don't have the architecture that you have in Rome. The screenshot of Sillwood Street that you posted was just completely random, as was saying you thought Blackpool was more fun. Which may be the case but I've never been there to judge. We have the Royal Pavilion, the Palace Pier & the Amex Stadium for our architectural inputs. ;)
You have more chance of being hit by a bus on North Street due to looking the wrong way, than you have of being stabbed on your visit here. Aside from few idiots we don't do 'football violence'. There is a perception that Roma fans still do & people didn't feel safe in your city. I'm only talking from the perspective of being a Brighton supporter, it's our first time in the Europa League and I have no idea how other clubs supporters have treated your city but I really don't think that any of our supporters would have been trying to cause trouble.
We've had a great European adventure and 2 of our supporters being stabbed, has really spoilt it for us. We have other threads from other city's that are funny 'Canal Man' & 'Mop Man'. 'Stabbed Men' doesn't give the same amusement.
I saw on the TV a little of the YouTube clip on post #139 and it did look and sound really good, it seemed like you have a good stadium atmosphere. (y)

Talby

Dec 24, 2023

I have forgiveness from a person who justifies the assault of others on the basis that they’re English?!?

You are displaying the symptoms of delusional deep rooted xenophobia which you’re desperately trying to project onto others.

Deal with your issues first. We are not responsible for your actions, you are not our babies.

Talby

Dec 24, 2023
You get into a thread and comment without even reading.
Talby, I'll try to make it clear once more, but you need to focus ok?

I DID quote him. Not reading may be the reason why you may have missed it:

Then a bunch of you backed portlock's racist claim by evading my point and not conceding, and so I made my point again and again and again.

About justifying/not justifying, I think the following is pretty self-explanatory:
"The point here is not to defend whoever stabs or attacks someone, the point is to debunk what portlock and Brian claimed. English supporters (and Dutch supporters) caused damages and violence in Rome for DECADES, and the result is that now even poor Brighton babyface supporters get hit by local idiots. Not saying it's justified
Don't try to compete on this shit, it's ugly for any side"

"local idiots react as the idiots they are"

"I'm sorry if anyone got hurt."

Now at which point, reading all this, did you think: "mmmh, this guy, I tell you! He really is not conceding! He's really justifying stabbing!". Or, more likely, how many of these posts didn't you read, and still thought it was clever to comment on what you didn't read?

Summary (click here) just for you:
A guy on this thread made a racist claim. So I answered that English people (or "Brits") are really in no f***ing position IN GENERAL to school anyone on football sobriety.

Now, Talby: I can explain it to you over and over again, with drawings too, but I can't, I really can't understand it for you. That part, you have to sort it by yourself.
Latinos.

Not a term I’d use as it’s a generic definition, but not a slur or racially offensive.

Romans were Latino.

Italian is deemed a Romance language, derived from Latin. So there’s the link to Latino.

Coozi

Mar 8, 2024
I have forgiveness from a person who justifies the assault of others on the basis that they’re English?!?
You can keep repeating this by ignoring what I've quoted before foe your benefit, which all the other users have acknowledged! You can. Won't make it true.

Latinos.

Not a term I’d use as it’s a generic definition, but not a slur or racially offensive.

Romans were Latino.

Italian is deemed a Romance language, derived from Latin. So there’s the link to Latino.
It'a not about the term Latinos in itself, it's about the racist generalisation, that "you're Brits, not [some other ethnic group]" and about the self-exoneration from violence despite the fact that BRITS (not Brighton fans) are just as violent as any other football fan base in Europe with an ultras tradition.

It's tough discussing with someone who struggles reading and understanding (it's called functional illiteracy). This is the third time. I hope this time we're aligned.
Your other mates here including the moderator understood and acknowledged multiple times.
Give up, don't be the last Japanese in the jungle!

Coozi

Mar 8, 2024
Ok, I can see where this conversation has gone. Most of it was said after 2 of our supporters had just been stabbed. Football violence did used to be something the 'Brits' were renowned for, decades ago and we were banned from leagues abroad.
I can't speak for any other English football club, but I feel I can say that on Thursday you will be welcomed by the vast majority of the supporters of our club. As you can see by some of the threads on here, we don't take kindly to some of our supporters behaving like idiots, home or away.
Brighton & Hove is a lovely city (2 towns) and no we don't have the architecture that you have in Rome. The screenshot of Sillwood Street that you posted was just completely random, as was saying you thought Blackpool was more fun. Which may be the case but I've never been there to judge. We have the Royal Pavilion, the Palace Pier & the Amex Stadium for our architectural inputs. ;)
You have more chance of being hit by a bus on North Street due to looking the wrong way, than you have of being stabbed on your visit here. Aside from few idiots we don't do 'football violence'. There is a perception that Roma fans still do & people didn't feel safe in your city. I'm only talking from the perspective of being a Brighton supporter, it's our first time in the Europa League and I have no idea how other clubs supporters have treated your city but I really don't think that any of our supporters would have been trying to cause trouble.
We've had a great European adventure and 2 of our supporters being stabbed, has really spoilt it for us. We have other threads from other city's that are funny 'Canal Man' & 'Mop Man'. 'Stabbed Men' doesn't give the same amusement.
I saw on the TV a little of the YouTube clip on post #139 and it did look and sound really good, it seemed like you have a good stadium atmosphere. (y)
Cotton socks, appreciate the effort, but most of this was unnecessary.
As for your characterisation of English football violence as a thing of "many decades ago", I understand English fans no longer cause the death of 39 people at games like during the 80, and so if the level of violence is less tragic today, I wouldn't consider it a thing of the past or something the "UK has addressed". That's not what happens when we go to England for away games (and your media don't report anything), and that's not what happens when English fans come to Rome or continental Europe (and your media don't report with same zeal what happens).

The root of the debate was criticising a racist claim made by portlock. A racist claim that also puts the "Brits", not Brighton fans speifically, the Brits, on a pedestal, claiming some kind of moral and behavioural supremacy over an other ethnic group. We Brits: nice and clean, other ethnic group: hot headed and violent. Bullshit, not backed by facts. And racist.

That was the root issue. The rest is a tangent by those who won't acknowledge that racist claim is ridiculous and not backed by facts: English supporters ("the Brits" as an ethnic group, as per portlock's post) are in no position to school anyone on "civilised" behaviours. Acknowledged it without too many excuses, like many of your mates here already did.

Coozi

Mar 8, 2024
Cotton socks, appreciate the effort, but most of this was unnecessary.
As for your characterisation of English football violence as a thing of "many decades ago", I understand English fans no longer cause the death of 39 people at games like during the 80s, and so if the level of violence is less tragic today, I wouldn't consider it a thing of the past or something the "UK has addressed". That's not what happens when we go to England for away games (and your media don't report anything), and that's not what happens when English fans come to Rome or continental Europe (and your media don't report what happens with the same zeal).

The root of the debate was criticising a racist claim made by portlock. A racist claim that also puts the "Brits", not Brighton fans speifically, the Brits, on a pedestal, claiming some kind of moral and behavioural supremacy over another ethnic group. We Brits: nice and clean, other ethnic group: hot headed and violent. Bullshit, not backed by facts. And racist.

That was the root issue. The rest is a tangent by those who won't acknowledge that racist claim is ridiculous and not backed by facts: English supporters ("the Brits" as an ethnic group, as per portlock's post) are in no position to school anyone on "civilised" behaviours. Acknowledge it without too many excuses, like many of your mates here already did.
I hate typos. Fixed some.

Talby

Dec 24, 2023
You can keep repeating this by ignoring what I've quoted before foe your benefit, which all the other users have acknowledged! You can. Won't make it true.

It'a not about the term Latinos in itself, it's about the racist generalisation, that "you're Brits, not [some other ethnic group]" and about the self-exoneration from violence despite the fact that BRITS (not Brighton fans) are just as violent as any other football fan base in Europe with an ultras tradition.

It's tough discussing with someone who struggles reading and understanding (it's called functional illiteracy). This is the third time. I hope this time we're aligned.
Your other mates here including the moderator understood and acknowledged multiple times.
Give up, don't be the last Japanese in the jungle!
Ok, so your generalisation is ok then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here